PDA

View Full Version : Brace

Fleagle
10-29-07, 04:26 PM
OK then!

Yes, I expect to get "nuked" on this question but here goes anyway (and please keep in mind my mil/flying career kept me away from "beefing" up my computer skills):

I loaded the 1.3 mod. Now whenever I load the game the inital list is nearly invisible. I expected this to be a simulation "reality" factor but when I booted the scenario (quick mission for ex) I got the audio but a blank screen. Thinking it was a monitor issue I ran the gamut of its ablity - then slipping to the "operator error" notion I let the simulation run. I'm quite sure the sub was sunk from the audio but holy heck if I ever saw anything on the screen.

Blast away, I expect it! Of course any usefull thoughts and inputs are welcome.

Formerly PBRStGang (old computer)

Fleagle

Sailor Steve
10-29-07, 05:00 PM
Welcom aboard!

I don't know why anyone would 'blast' you for those questions. I don't have the answers, and I'm not sure exactly which '1.3 mod' you meant.

'Initial List'? Do you mean the menus / options screens? Nothing should make those change; definitely not a 'reality' thing. It sounds to me like something is wrong with the download.

Fleagle
10-30-07, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the reply - I should have been more specific..

When I run the sim by clicking on "Play" it brings up the first/initial menu with the different options such as "quick mission". It's difficult to read to say the least (yeah, the flight doc got me bi-focals before I retired). Once the selected scenario is up audio is loud-n-clear but the screen is nearly blank/darkened out. I've selected the periscope at the proper depth and spooled it through 360dg and can make out a terminator/skyline and also "F11'd" it for a look around with the same result. In the option menu I turned off all the "whistles and bells" but nothing changed when I tried multiple scenearios. I've also deleted the sim out and reloaded it without the patch applied with the same results. Makes me think it is an "operator error" but tweaking the monitor settings hasn't changed a thing. Guess I'm headed back to Flight Sim!

Thanks again for the reply.

Fleagle

SteamWake
10-30-07, 01:42 PM
Ummm turn up the gamma ?

Im not really understanding the question either.

How can you select the periscope if the screen is all blank ?

Also you have to raise the periscope or you wont see anything out of it.

Sorry Im having trouble understanding.

ReallyDedPoet
10-30-07, 01:43 PM
Welcome back Fleagle :up:

Are you running any mods, sounds like a night mission, there are mods out there that brighten the sky at night. Have you tried a different mission, something during the day. Correct me if I am wrong here on the night thing.

RDP

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 01:49 PM
Just for kicks, did you play with any of the display options in the game? Check your gamma slider in options.

Fleagle
10-30-07, 02:22 PM
OK Ya'll

Again thanks for the assist!

Patch installed: silent_hunter_4_1.3

Periscope raised both attack and observation by using the insert/page up keys

Blank screen, again my bad - the screen appears black. Mid screen I'm able to discern a faint difference (slightly lighter) hence my terminator/horizon comment. Instruments/gauges indicate periscope depth. I've also just surfaced the thing (going by audio and the instruments) with the same result.

Gama - I'll look into that angle - I'd already worked with the "+" and "_" on the monitor and at one point deleted the program for the monitor and re-loaded it.

Next my plan is to completely delete the patch and game, defrag the hard drive then re-load the sim. The "train wreck" fired up with the patch, prior to that the sim ran fine.

Thanks Ya'll, I'll keep you posted on progress - best of days to Ya!

Fleagle (PBRStGang)

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 02:24 PM
Look at the gamma adjustment in the game if you have not. What system specs do you have?

Fleagle
10-30-07, 03:19 PM
Well then!

Deleted all the program and patches then reloaded it and the sim is back.

Sys Properties: Dell XPS XPS 720

Intel Core Duo CPU

E6750 @ 2.66GHz (E6750@2.66GHz)

2.67 GHz 2.00 GB RAM

What the heck that mess means (took it from system properties) is beyond me. I'd rather shell out a weight & balance (form F) for a Herk when the not so nice folks you are helping are taking snipes at ya! Retirement is blahZay!

Thanks for the assist -

Fleagle

SteamWake
10-30-07, 04:06 PM
Well then!

Deleted all the program and patches then reloaded it and the sim is back.

Sys Properties: Dell XPS XPS 720

Intel Core Duo CPU

E6750 @ 2.66GHz

2.67 GHz 2.00 GB RAM

What the heck that mess means (took it from system properties) is beyond me. I'd rather shell out a weight & balance (form F) for a Herk when the not so nice folks you are helping are taking snipes at ya! Retirement is blahZay!

Thanks for the assist -

Fleagle

So a simple re-install fixed it ?

Very strange. But yea sometimes in night missions you can hardly see past the end of the boat.

Fleagle
10-30-07, 06:36 PM
Bloody heck - yup, it worked but baffles the (expliteve deleted) outta me. I'm hesitant to download the patch from UBI thinking I may get schwacked again.

Ya'll behave and just go out and win lotto!

Fleagle

ReallyDedPoet
10-30-07, 07:47 PM
Bloody heck - yup, it worked but baffles the (expliteve deleted) outta me. I'm hesitant to download the patch from UBI thinking I may get schwacked again.

Ya'll behave and just go out and win lotto!

Fleagle

Now go and sink some, drinks are on you when you get back in :yep::up:

RDP