PDA

View Full Version : Night time ID

Cooter1966
10-29-07, 04:08 PM
How do you guys identify what kind of ships are what at night? If I get to close they always find me. I do put it into silent run, running at 2 knots at most. I'll look through my periscope but most of the time it's to damn dark and I'm too far away to be sure. Please help

tater
10-29-07, 04:38 PM
Guess.

It's so much easier to shoot in game than RL. I actually don't spend too much time on ID on purpose.

tater

Rockin Robbins
10-29-07, 05:54 PM
The short answer is to let your WO do it in Trigger Maru, or set up a keyboard command to do the same thing with or without TM.

The long answer is this is one of the motivation factors for Dick O'Kane to start deconstructing the wonderous TDC/PK official attack protocol and pare it down to essentials. He eliminated all unnecessary or impossible steps. One that was often impossible, even in the daytime, is identifying ships properly. Misidentification translated immediately into unacceptable error in stadimeter results and missed shots. O'Kane developed his technique, approaching from right angles to the target's track and not caring one bit what the target was. Using considerable research by gutted and aaronblood and some game research by myself, we have a tutorial at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=652326&postcount=67 that will rock your world and put those unidentified bogeys on the bottom, feeding the fishies. Worry no more pardner, we're goin' to war!

Cooter1966
10-29-07, 06:13 PM
Thanks a sheetload bud. Mmmmm...War:hulk: Hulk like War!!!