PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Game crashes to blue screen when loading without disk

mrbeast
10-26-07, 06:36 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I loaded up SH4 today like I did yesterday without the disk in and after the intro it crashed to blue screen telling me windows had to close. I have not installed anything on my system or to SH4, and the game did this perfectly well yesterday but today it won't load. :damn:

If I load the game off the disk it seems ok. But I'm concerned about my system doing this. It seems to have started doing it to other games that don't need the disk to load too.

Does anybody know what's causing this? Is it memory problems or a virus maybe?

I'm totally stumped by it.:down:

Cooter1966
10-26-07, 08:34 PM
I didn't even know you could run without disk, not till after I was running it for a couple of days and decided to do a little IL2. Went to switch disks, thats when I noticed I've been running without it.:oops:

MONOLITH
10-26-07, 09:13 PM
Huh?

No disk needed? SH4?

Why am I the last to know these things. :nope:

leovampire
10-26-07, 09:31 PM
The need for the disc was eliminated for some reason or another. If you sudenly need the disc then it sounds like something in the base files for the game got screwed up or in the registry files of your PC.

I think the reason for the disc was the security softwear and they eliminated that problem with the 1.3 patch.

John Channing
10-27-07, 07:35 AM
Huh?

No disk needed? SH4?

Because you keep missing the staff meetings.

:D

JCC

hyperion2206
10-27-07, 07:38 AM
Huh?

No disk needed? SH4?

Stop playing games. Reading about them is much more fun and it costs you less.:p

mrbeast
10-27-07, 07:38 AM
Ok done a little snooping and when I get the 'Blue Screen Of Death' it puts up the following message:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP 0x000000A (0x00000016, 0x00000016C, 0x000000, 0x80502392)

Searched on the net and it says that it could either be a dodgy piece of hardware overheating (solution buy a new heat sink), or a corrupt driver file. But I haven't installed any new drivers recently.

It just seemed to start this out of the blue, no pun intended. Thats what baffles me. If I'd just installed something it might make more sense.

I guess I can just play with the disk in for now but I like to get to root of problems with my system. Unless its nature's way of telling me.....upgrade to new system, upgrade, upgrade.............noooo don't want Vista!!!

SteamWake
10-27-07, 08:03 AM
That is very strange.

Since patch 1.3 my system has never called for the disk. :hmm:

Im guessing some other software, system, or patch you installed borked the copy protection scheme somehow. A windows update ? Virus protection ? Firewall ?

I would try running a dxdiag and looking for problems in it.

Please resist the urge to 'upgrade' to vista... pfff you think your having problems now.

mrbeast
10-27-07, 08:43 AM
Great game won't load with disk in now. :damn: :nope:

Tried running dxdiag but I don't know what I'm looking for everything said ok.

This is really p***ing me off right now!:-?