PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 Radar problems!!

TrtSmrt
10-24-07, 03:43 PM
Frist of all, thank you all for these nice tutorials (Legion, Neal and all other guys that contributed to us noob captains).
In my first mission with manual TDC i sunk two lagre freighters and nearly one destroyer (damn thing got under his keel) with no miss at all! :arrgh!:
All of this during the pitch black night at stormy sea! The TDC is not so difficult at all... it is obvious what, why and when to do.
OK... sometimes the lock is giving me problems but it mostly of really bad weather and even on 15m i am still geting slapped by waves on the periscope.

But....

I have installed 1.3 patch over a new clean installation of SHIV and it appears that the radar is not working (neither of those). The signal lamp is always off, I can change the range on both radars, antenna is slowly turning when I surface, but it don't detect contacts.

Another strange thing is that the first to catch any contact is SO, then WO.... and radar guy is keeping quiet :)
I've tried to go to battlestations, submerged and resurfaced many times, all of which I tried to turn the radar by pushing the button on the radars themself, and by turning the signal lamp in the menus.
I am playing on 100% realism and the things are absolutely the same with no map contacts checked or unchecked.
Also i've tried to play with realistic sensors option but its still the same.

Does anyone else has this problem?

P.S. Yeah... i found that convoy during the fist mission by the radio contact and then by SO giving heading (i was still on the surface?!). That is at least strange... sonnar working on the surface and radar not working at all :stare:
Maybe i can try to use it submerged buahahah

EDIT:

Using no MOD at all.. clean as a baby

cmdrk
10-24-07, 04:31 PM
Ok. I'm going to ask an obvious question. What year is it?

The sub interiors show the radar equipment but it really isn't installed yet, except the air search radar which doesn't have any user interface. So, no surface search radar in '41 and early '42.

kylesplanet
10-24-07, 04:34 PM
What year are you in? If you are early war, there is no surface radar. I think it comes about in mid 42. The model is in there but it doesn't work until you get it with renoun when it becomes available.

The radar that you do have is the air radar thugh it doesn't have a scope or anything. It is always on.

As far as the sonar working on the surface, that is historically acurate though the game sonar works to good (on surface).

Hope this helps a little:up:

TrtSmrt
10-24-07, 05:28 PM
Ok. I'm going to ask an obvious question. What year is it?

The sub interiors show the radar equipment but it really isn't installed yet, except the air search radar which doesn't have any user interface. So, no surface search radar in '41 and early '42.

Yup! Your're right!
The Year is '42.. think it's March... so it is obvious that i don't have radar... :oops:
Didn't know that it was installed that late.
Tried '43 and all is working fine.
Also.. one obviously stupid question:
If I install some of the Mods.. for example pull down map, and I use 2.0 JSGME, notin' happens... game is just as it was. I put the mod folder in correct place, that i am shure of... and it backs up old files in backup folder, but nothing in the GUI?!
Am i missing something? I mean... how more stupid installation could be and i just can't install it... baaah :roll:

Thanks for help and happy huntin' :arrgh!:

cmdrk
10-25-07, 08:56 AM
It is a bit hard to visualize what your difficulty is. I use JSGME, not sure which version, but if it shows up in the left box and you get the mod to move to the right box [>>], then it should install. I've not had any problems.

I'm quessing here, but the mods need to mimick the game's directory structure. If it is off, JSGME may be installing the mod in an incorrect area, or maybe a mod's file name in misspelled. I say, uninstall the mod.

BTW, Do you have a problem with all mods or just one?

TrtSmrt
10-25-07, 09:39 AM
It seems that i have problems with all mods. If I just copy the data folder from the mod's to game data folder, all is working fine, but I can't to the same with JGSE, alhotugh is does exactly the same (exectp for pain of fining and backing up the files)...
Naaah... no problem... I got all mods that will use, so i'll just copy these the harcore way and that's it.
I want to sink.. not to fool arround with C/P all day :D

Thank you anyway!

seafarer
10-25-07, 09:55 AM
Are you running Vista? If so, JSGME actually cannot write the files to the proper "real" directory in "program files" because UAC in Vista blocks that. Instead, UAC causes JSGME to write them to the SHIV folder buried deep down in the hidden "AppData" directory in your user's directory space. Of course, the SHIV binary never sees them there, because it is not Vista/UAC aware, so it goes on loading the ubisoft default settings and controls.

The solution, I've found, is to install SHIV, JSGME, mods, everything, in a directory in my users area (in my case "games\Ubisoft\SHIV"), which bypasses the UAC system (which only controls who/what writes to "program files"). Just change the SHIV default directory during the install, and point it anywhere OTHER than "prgram files".

P.S. If you decide to reinstall outside of "program files", first uninstall SHIV using the control panel tool. Then, also, enable viewing hidden files in your user space, search down the "AppData" directory and delete any and all directories related to SHIV. Then re-install SHIV into the directory of your choice, just outside of "program files" This is recommended for any mod'able program/game installation in Vista (actually, I put everything that did not come preinstalled on my computer in aptly named directories outside of "program files".

TrtSmrt
10-25-07, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately i don't run VISTA so that's not the problem, but it's good to know cause will install it in the next few weeks (time.. bloody time... never enough of it!!) so i will use this approach.
Thanks for support!

Melonfish
10-26-07, 09:44 AM
Lol, that would explain why i can't use my radar then, its still 41 for me. hehe
pete

Rwolf
10-26-07, 11:16 AM
Would have been pretty frustrating to the radar operator back then, here's your battle station, but it's an inoperative box, so don't bother.

I wonder if modern battleships would be equipped with phaser controls, teleporter stations and so on, just in case it's invented in the future?

letterboy1
10-26-07, 11:28 AM
TrtSmrt, also remember that the surface radar won't automatically get installed when it becomes available. You have to "purchase" it with some renown when you're in port.