PDA

View Full Version : Stationary ships

tjlegault
10-21-07, 10:53 PM
Hi all,
Can stationary ships in say, Hiroshima harbor, be sunk? Or are they just eye candy?
(Just put 2 fish into a stationary destroyer and it dint even list....put 4 fish into a stationary carrier in same harbor and it didnt list or burn either)
Just curious

TJL

leovampire
10-21-07, 11:43 PM
Just a little harder at times unless you hit them just right. A teatherd ship will always be harder to sink and most if not all are empty of cargo.

Captain Vlad
10-22-07, 02:19 AM
I've had the best luck putting the torpedos broadside into the target. Put four into a large tanker in Osaka, and, hitting bow on, they did nothing. Same ship type, hitting broadside, it sank like I expected it too.

mrbeast
10-22-07, 03:51 PM
Another problem you have to think about when sinking ships in harbour is the possibility that ships might simply sink just enough to rest on the bottom.

Roger Dodger
10-22-07, 08:01 PM
Another problem you have to think about when sinking ships in harbour is the possibility that ships might simply sink just enough to rest on the bottom.

That's cause harbors aren't very deep, rarely deep enough to cover something as tall as a battleship or carrier. Most harbors are around 40-45' deep (some less, some a little more)

Was it the BB USS California that settled with its decks awash after Pearl Habor?

rrmelend
10-23-07, 05:18 PM
I agree with the broadside shots. I was finishing a photo recon mission this past weekend when I noticed a Shokaku class CV and two heavy CA's. I put 2 fish into each CA and all 4 aft tubes into the CV and all sunk. It was awesome looking at them because one CA broke in half and settled on the bottom and the other CA and the CV both rolled on their sides and settled on the bottom. No way for the Japanese government to hide that from the people like they did with their losses after Midway.

peanuts111358
10-24-07, 03:51 AM
Harbor hunting is way too easy in SH4. It is like Ubi did it that way to please the arcade type players.

In reality, harbors would be protected with mines and sub nets... not to mention patrolling warships.

SteminDemon13
10-24-07, 04:22 PM
peanuts,
I thought the same too, until I went harbor hunting somewhere off the philipines. My original mission was to go snap some pictures of two jap carriers, just getting there to shoot the photo's was a daunting task. Fighting off the tin cans used more fish than sinking the carriers and two merchants. Maybe it was some rare occurance but damn...there was so many cans patrolling that harbor that my sub suddenly had a nasty strong odor of poo in the air :lol: . I was lucky enough to sneak past 3 tin cans by hugging the shore, it was a good thing because I had no more fish!