PDA

View Full Version : Advice For Noobs?

Di3lta-303
10-21-07, 04:40 AM
Hey, decided to pick up SH4 again after a long break. Forgotten how to play this simulation. Is there anything to watch out for? Like bugs that might crash the game or alter gameplay to a large extent? Is there any online or video guides I can watch? What about mods? Is there any must have mods or fixes? Thanks in advance. :D

AVGWarhawk
10-21-07, 07:29 AM
There are some nice tutorial stickied at the top of the this forum. CTD issues, none that I'm aware of.

IMHO for must have mods, basically Reflections on the water and Run Silent Run Deep are good start. There are several to choose from on the mod forum and really the choice is yours as to your playing tastes.

swdw
10-21-07, 08:39 AM
As for CTD bugs, download and install JSGME, then download and install
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118781 Small Merchant CTD fix

AVGWarhawk
10-21-07, 09:20 AM
Yeah, that little bugger. Most of the mods that deal with shipping traffic include this issue. Just check out the readme to be sure.

mookiemookie
10-21-07, 09:37 AM
Don't get sunk. :know:

Roger Dodger
10-21-07, 02:00 PM
What about mods? Is there any must have mods or fixes? Thanks in advance. :D

If nothing else, Trigger Maru 1.6 (and the 1.6.3 patch) are a 'must have' mod. It fixes many issues, and does a lot of tweaking. Includes ROW and several other very nice mods. Trigger Maru has TWO parts, and must be enabled together. You will also need the Generic Mod Enabler to get them into your game (sim).

Trigger Maru will give you 'New Construction' as a nice place to start your career. Gives you an advanced fleet boat (Gato), and runs you through Sea Trials to get you used to operating your new boat. After your trials, you will probably get assigned to Pearl Harbor for action against Japanese home waters.

Personally, I use Trigger Maru, but start in Dec '41 in an S-Boat with the Asiatic Fleet (Manila/Cavite). For me, it seems more historically accurate.

Run Silent, Run Deep

WernerSobe
10-21-07, 06:50 PM
if you decide on triger maru remember to get the latest NSM version (3.3). It has fixed many bugs with ship models.

link : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120269

sqk7744
10-21-07, 10:39 PM
Don't get sunk. :know:

:rotfl:

And close the Hatch :up: