PDA

View Full Version : Captain Quarters

ruskoz
10-20-07, 09:41 AM
I have not yet bought SH4 but will some day if it is worth it, I just don’t have that much time, plus I’m still enjoying SH3 with GWX.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions about SH4.

How has the captain quarters been modeled in SH4? What I would like to see is you as the captain go lay down and the screen goes black for 1 minutes as a counter shows the time speeding by as 6-8 hours have passed in real time equal to 1 minute. If anything important would happens someone wakes you up before the time passes 6-8hours. This would help those gamers that don’t have a lot of extra hours on their schedule. Is there a calendar with moon phases, And have they fixed the moon lighting in relation to the moon phases.

Thank You!

hyperion2206
10-20-07, 10:09 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no captains quarter in SH4.

Digital_Trucker
10-20-07, 10:10 AM
The only one I know of is a mod that uses a pulldown method (similar to Capt Cox's pacific map) to show the SH3 captain's quarters.

ReallyDedPoet
10-20-07, 10:24 AM
With some of the great visual stuff going on with SH4, ROW ( Reflections on Water ) and others, you won't be spending to much time inside anyway.

RDP

mookiemookie
10-20-07, 11:28 AM
I don't miss it a bit. I understand a lot of people wanted it, but personally I could count on one hand the number of times I went to the captain's quarter's screen in SH3.

ruskoz
10-21-07, 06:41 PM
in SH3 it was useless....i think in SH2 its was better modeled. But if modeled like I stated I could really be useful and help those peeps that dont have alot of time as i suggested.

sqk7744
10-21-07, 10:38 PM
With some of the great visual stuff going on with SH4, ROW ( Reflections on Water ) and others, you won't be spending to much time inside anyway.

RDP

YIP! ROW is best seen Topside :up::up::up:

MONOLITH
10-22-07, 12:14 AM
in SH3 it was useless.

I think it depends on the manner in which one played.

If you spend most of the game in high TC, zipping from engagement to engagement, it definately wouldn't matter much.

But as someone who spent a lot of time sailing the sea in "real time", for the sake of immersion, I would rather go to the captains quarters and watch the radioman from the bed, when things were quiet, then stand in the command room with nothing to do.

I don't know. It's hard to explain. But I'm sure there's someone out there who understands. :rotfl:

I guess going to the captains quarters was almost like putting yourself on pause, until the next game event occurred.

Powerthighs
10-22-07, 01:39 AM
I have never played SH3, but I think it would be cool to remove time compression from SH4 as it currently exits. Instead, you should be able to plot your course and/or leave standing orders, then go to your cabin and set a wake up time if desired. Time then skips immediately ahead. You would be notified by the crew if something happens in the meantime.

Captain Vlad
10-22-07, 02:45 AM
Making the Captain's Quarters the 'in-character' interface for all the 'boat management' stuff would be logical. Click on the safe to view your orders, your desk to mess with the crew, etc. Might have the gramophone and other such in there too. Use the captain's bunk as the 'save/load/exit' button.

MONOLITH
10-22-07, 05:47 AM
I totally agree with Vlad.

Giving the captains quarters some functional features would be a great idea. Another example; the captains log could only be viewable from the captains quarters, etc.

Hhhmmmm....a good mod idea.

Sailor Steve
10-22-07, 10:31 AM
Count me in for that! The Captain's Quarters in the original Silent Hunter did just that: you had the calendar, which also listed the sun-and-moon rise-and-set times, plus the current sea state; there was the radio log where you checked the messages, and a spare ID book, just to look at.

I like the idea of managing the crew from the desk there. Great thinking, Vlad!:rock:

mrbeast
10-22-07, 02:36 PM
Yeah I like the sound of that. It would be one of those details that adds so much immersion to the game experiance.

Captain Vlad
10-22-07, 02:42 PM
Thanks, guys. I thought I'd seen a sub game that did something like that. Guess it was SH 1. Forgot about the 'sunrise/sunset' times on that game. Those were handy.

ruskoz
10-23-07, 09:38 AM
IWhat I would like to see is you as the captain go lay down and the screen goes black for 1 minutes as a counter shows the time speeding by as 6-8 hours have passed in real time equal to 1 minute. If anything important would happens someone wakes you up before the time passes 6-8hours. This would help those gamers that don’t have a lot of extra hours on their schedule.
Im surprised no one really has commented on this...i would love to see this modeled!

I think SH2 modeled some of these things as well if I remember right?

Sailor Steve
10-23-07, 10:13 AM
No, SH2 just had 2048x time compression.