PDA

View Full Version : Will my system be able to run SH4?

Coritani
10-19-07, 04:37 PM
I'm considering buying this. I've spotted it for 35$NZ (that's about 20$US) which I think is a steal. However, I want to make sure it isn't a slideshow on my computer. My system is:

Windows XP
512mb RAM
Radeon X600 PRO 256MB
AMD Athlon 64 3700+

What do you think? The RAM and Video card probably need an upgrade. I might buy another 512mb of ram to lift it to 1gb. Thoughts?

Digital_Trucker
10-19-07, 05:28 PM
You'll definitely want at least a gig of memory (2 gig is preferable). I'm not too sure about the capabilities of your video card, but I managed to run the game with reduced settings with an ATI 9600Pro 256MB card. Looks like your processor should be up to the task. A sound card might help, too, if you are using onboard sound.

youwillfearme
10-19-07, 06:47 PM
What type of memory do you have now? (PC2100, PC2700, PC3200 or other. Been awhile.) And how many memory slots do you have total on your motherboard? (2, 3 or 4? Not sure AMD boards at the time had 4.)

If you know what type of memory you got and have 2 slots, get one single 1024mb stick of the same type that of your 512 stick otherwise you'll have stability issues. If you have 3 slots, get either one 1024mb stick or two more 512mb sticks which will all total to the same as the first solution (1536mb).

Optionally get either a AGP Radeon X1950 Pro or a Nvidia equivelant, but should not be a requirement. I say if you are going to upgrade your graphics card, get a decent one.

If you want to spend some cash, get two 1024mb sticks rated at PC3200 (400mhz) if your motherboard supports that speed and ditch the 512mb stick you got. If you have 3 slots, get 3 1024mb sticks if your motherboard supports 3gig of memory.

Same option as above.

momo55
10-19-07, 07:01 PM
I have a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ; 2 Gig ; and played sh4 without problems with a radeon X800 PCI-E. I have a 8800 GTS 640 Mb now because my youngest son (25 btw) wanted me to play "bioshock" and there ...my X800 told me ...do it youreself:lol:.
Thank you son ...my SH4 looks great :rotfl:

Coritani
10-19-07, 09:02 PM
I currently have two 256mb PC3200 sticks (well, at least 1 of them is pc3200, I assume the other is, otherwise I'd be having problems wouldn't I?). I've got four slots, but two of them are different from the other two - two are black and two are blue. I don't know what this means. This (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939S56-M) is my motherboard.

Also, I don't have a soundcard, but I've never had a problem with onboard sound - SH3 sure sounded good. At the moment I just want to get this whole RAM thing sorted out so I can buy another stick or two. :hmm:

jazman
10-19-07, 10:11 PM
I currently have two 256mb PC3200 sticks (well, at least 1 of them is pc3200, I assume the other is, otherwise I'd be having problems wouldn't I?). I've got four slots, but two of them are different from the other two - two are black and two are blue. I don't know what this means. This (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939S56-M) is my motherboard.

Also, I don't have a soundcard, but I've never had a problem with onboard sound - SH3 sure sounded good. At the moment I just want to get this whole RAM thing sorted out so I can buy another stick or two. :hmm:
Onboard sound uses CPU. I have a slower machine, and found that a dedicated sound card freed up needed CPU cycles for the other things of the game.

The memory slots are probably color-coded like that so that you'd match up pairs of sticks so you get dual-channel. In fact, looking at the manual, that's it. Either the blue, or the black, or all four slots, to get dual-channel. They should be identical. If you have two different memory sticks, you put them in different colors (slots 1 and 3).