PDA

View Full Version : New Memory Added, Now Problems?

Dane
10-17-07, 08:08 PM
I just added 2 gig of memory to my computer. The game ran great before this other than some slow frame rates. Now, I have faster frame rates and smooth graphics but the fan or fans on the computer run constantly. Why would this be happening? Anyu thoughts would be appreciated. I even put the settings on low.. Went and played SH 3 and the same thing. Here I spent $125.00 on it so i could play SH 4 with ease and the fan noise is totally unacceptable. Thanks

AVGWarhawk
10-17-07, 08:28 PM
More heat sir! My fans run all the time. I do however keep my computer under my desk were I do not really hear them kicking!

Digital_Trucker
10-17-07, 08:39 PM
Yep, heat put off from the memory itself, heat from the components on the motherboard that supply power to the memory and heat from the power supply that provides the power that goes to the components on the motherboard that supply power to the memory. On top of that, with more memory, your system can shovel data to your video card faster and make it work harder producing even more heat.

Which fans are causing the noise problem? It may be that replacing those fans with lower noise units will help with the problem. Liquid cooling is also an option if you really can't stand the noise. Personally, I just put on my surround sound headset and forget about the fans (and the barking dogs and most other noise pollution).

Dane
10-17-07, 08:51 PM
Thanks, guess I will go with the headsets and be thankful for a smooth running game

youwillfearme
10-18-07, 04:32 AM
You could do what I did - Invest in a inexpensive noiseless computer case coated with sound dampening foam, or buy the foam independently and apply the material to the biggest surfaces inside your case for less but still effective sound dampering.

I got this one (http://www.nzxt.com/products/hush/) for about 120 bucks. Noise reduction in this case was exceptional for the price in my opinion - but then again, I went from a water cooled rig with a dual radiator powered by two high performance 120mm's to this one with stock case fans (which are quite good) and a high performance air cooled sink from Zalman.

3Jane
10-18-07, 06:25 AM
There are also some fan-less cpu and agp coolers available. They work using heat pipes instead of the normal heatsink/fan combinaton. Personaly I use the Zalman coolers for both my agp and cpu. They do have fans but are very quiet.
Also I have two 120mm quiet case fans as intake and exhaust. As well as enough cooling on the actual components, it is important of course to have a good through flow of fresh air to draw off the heat disipated by the internals.

SteamWake
10-18-07, 08:26 AM
The sound of fans spooling up are a lot more re-asuring than the smell of ozone :know:

You might want to consider your power supply. I have a funny story regarding power supplies and new video cards posted here somewhere but in a nutshell... The fans in my video card were running quite hard and noisy I figured Id get used to it when "pow" a fuse in the psu blew.

I went out and bought a new, bigger psu now the fans run smoothly spool up and down as they should and are much quieter.

mrbeast
10-18-07, 05:38 PM
The sound of fans spooling up are a lot more re-asuring than the smell of ozone :know:

You might want to consider your power supply. I have a funny story regarding power supplies and new video cards posted here somewhere but in a nutshell... The fans in my video card were running quite hard and noisy I figured Id get used to it when "pow" a fuse in the psu blew.

I went out and bought a new, bigger psu now the fans run smoothly spool up and down as they should and are much quieter.

Found the same thing. Nothing went bang in my computer but since I got a new PSU my system runs quieter and cooler.

youwillfearme
10-19-07, 02:44 PM
If you are still unsure mate, this is the order of upgrades I would recommend from experience: Get a "noiseless" case with good reviews for around 120-200 bucks and notice the huge difference as this upgrade will overall decrease the noise output of every component inside the entire case! If you are still not impressed, get a "noiseless" PSU for around the same price as the case. And if that still doesn't impress you, get a "noiseless" GPU (graphic processing unit) heatsink along with heatspreaders for the memory for around 40-60 bucks if you want quality. (NB: Replacing the stock cooler on your graphics card will brake the warranty.)

Alternatively get a "noiseless" HDD cooler as it both keeps your hard disk drive cool (this decreases the chances of failure and increases life) and drains out most of the high pitch noise it makes from the fast-spinning disk inside the drive which is arguably the worst of all the noises that come from most computers.

I would not recommend tampering with your graphics card as it brakes the warrenty and doesn't improve cooling, only decreases the noise output.

However, a 3rd party CPU cooler is a must-have upgrade regardless of whether or not you want to shut up your computer as such an upgrade generally make less noise then a stock cooler and out performs them even if you get a cheap one.

In my opinion, everyone should at least get a "noiseless" case to overall decrease noise output of everything inside, and a 3rd party CPU cooler just so you can overclock considerably to get that little extra from your computer. And incrementally upgrade as you see fit. Exposing yourself to a noisy computer long term can cause permanent damage to your hearing. These steps will shut your computer up just enough and still get some performance for an affordable price as a "noiseless" case cost the same as a regular one, and the CPU cooler is a must have anyway unless you are a grandparent, in which case you don't hear anything anyway and thus don't need the lesser noise. Higher performing CPU wouldn't prove useful either as your movement speed and brain activity is slowed down by about 50% and thus don't need the extra performance.

SteamWake
10-19-07, 08:20 PM

Found the same thing. Nothing went bang in my computer but since I got a new PSU my system runs quieter and cooler.

Sometimes its the simple things ;)

jazman
10-19-07, 10:28 PM
Go find a server room somewhere (may take a friend to get you in...). Go sit in there a while. Now go home. Voila! Your computer is quiet again.

Q3ark
10-20-07, 07:35 AM
Go find a server room somewhere (may take a friend to get you in...). Go sit in there a while. Now go home. Voila! Your computer is quiet again.

:o :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

-Pv-
10-20-07, 04:36 PM
Maddog has a 80mm fan I like with thermal probes. Carefully placed, the case fans will run slow when the demand is low. SHIV pushes my machine to its limits though so I put up with the howling when I'm playing it (the expolsions drown it all out.) I would rather my components be protected than worry about fan noise.
-Pv-