PDA

View Full Version : Question...

GoldenRivet
10-14-07, 09:06 PM
I have been playing the single mission during which you try to sink a battle ship that is part of a group of battle ships facing down an american carrier group. forget the name of the mission but here goes...

I have played this mission many many times today (at least a dozen attemtps) and never once have i managed to sink the yamato... or any of the smaller battle ships for that matter.

a majority of my encounters have focused on trying to sink the smaller battleships... many of these ships continued sailing and fighting on without any sign of worry even after taking as many as 7 direct torpedo hits spread evenly from bow to stern... literally seven gaping holes in the hull spread from the bow to the stern! and nothing, they hardly slow down even.

in the most extreme encounter yet i fired every single torpedo on board the sub at the yamato. eventually her engines did quit and she listed... ever so slightly to starboard. :huh:

eventually the battle ended, and i sat there, at periscope depth in disbelief for 4 days in the game and the old yamato did not sink... but instead she just sat there.

in real life do you think that any of these battleships could survive 7 to 20+ direct torpedo impacts and survive the encounter? all the while taking fire from destroyers, light cruisers and being bombed by airplanes?

or should i find a mod that increases the strength of the torpedos?

im currently running the following mods

JP ship dimension fix 1.0
ParaB's fewer radio contacts mod
Silent Service 1.2 graphics mod
trigger maru 1.6
trigger maru gfx pak 2 1
smaller sea plants mod
capt midnights cbs news
a few of foobor's skins

SteminDemon13
10-14-07, 10:01 PM
At what depth were your fish set at for the yamato? Yes it is true that many of these ww2 ships were able to take serious hits and keep on floating and fighting. If you look up the Yamato and Musashi you will see the amount of bombs and torpedo hits it took to sink them. The turret explosion on board the Iowa in 89 that would have sunk just about any other ship at that time, she still went on to complete her missions. That damage is repairable also. The parts to fix her are located within #2. Hope that helps.
There is a nice memorial on the Norfolk Naval Base called Iowa point dedicated to the sailors lost in #2.

captiandon
10-14-07, 11:42 PM
I dont know I have sunk the Yamato with just three hits. Of course I try for critical areas of the ship Also you want your torpedos to hit as low as possable. Battleships had Belt armor of up to 12 inches thick to protect agaisnt torpedos.

GoldenRivet
10-15-07, 12:22 AM
well im pretty familiar with placing shots on different tyes of targets... so i found it interesting when i went for a magnetic detonation beneath the ship that some of the torpedos passed through the bottom 3 or 4 ft of hull like ghosts without detonating, others passed beneath the ship without detonating.

after playing the mission at least 15 times, and trying various torpedo settings and running depths i was stunned to see any of these battleships take more than 10 torpedos without even a stutter.

back to the drawing board.

GoldenRivet
10-15-07, 02:20 AM
24 direct hits at various torpedo depth settings from 20 to 33 feet... i have found magnetic torpedoes fail to detonate 100% of the time when the torpedo passes under the ship regardless of how far beneath the ship it passes.

at least 3 hours of on again off again bombing by aircraft

approximately 2 to 3 hours of shelling by a group of destroyers

thats what it took to even get the yamato battleship in SH4 to show a slight list to starboard!

after waiting out for an entire day, she sank

i received no credit for the sinking.

in other missions i used approximately 15 torpedos on the smaller battleships which produced NO results. the ship continued on at full speed and continued fighting unphased.