PDA

View Full Version : Find speed by Hyrdophone in SH4

Elphaba
10-14-07, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry if this has been a) asked before (couldn't find it) or b) is a dumb question, but I've read on the SH3 forums that with a mod / tutorial, it was possible to work out the speed from the chug chug chug noises of the props - and also detect what type of ship it was.

Is this possible in SH4?

Would the tutorial still apply as the class of contacts is different?

Thanks for answering

Elphaba

LukeFF
10-14-07, 06:02 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118923

SteamWake
10-15-07, 08:54 AM
Im not sure that his specific question is answered in that thread. I dident read the entire thread so if I'm wrong please correct me.

This topic (determining speed by counting turns of the ships screws) comes up periodically and has been discussed at length.

The final concensis was that it could not be done to any degree of accuracy. You can basically determine one of three settings idle, medium, & fast.

Of course each ship has a different speed for those settings so once again your relegated to guess work.

In real life it was a viable tactic but due to the limitations in the game engine you get a rough guess at best. Also in real life the 'doppler' effect was used as well to determine wether or not a contact was closing of leaving. Again this is difficult at best in the game.

Good luck have fun.

Elphaba
10-15-07, 11:18 AM
Steamwake, that's for answering.

I guess it's only really working in SH3 then.

Oh well...

Elphaba

SteamWake
10-15-07, 11:39 AM
Steamwake, that's for answering.

I guess it's only really working in SH3 then.

Oh well...

Elphaba

Yes I had heard it had been done in SH3.

But in SH4 its not completly useless either. You can certanly tell the difference between a charging DD or one thats coasting around looking for you. For some fun practice track a DD as it 'runs you over' and your sonar head swings 180 degrees. It's kinda frightning actually.

You can also tell if a convoy is making fast headway or just taking there time. Somewhere around here are estimates of headways for convoys. But mods will throw a variable in there.