PDA

View Full Version : Fuel (lack of it)

monkeymagoo
10-13-07, 07:39 PM
Erm, I'm off the coast of Borneo and I need to get to Fremantle. Is there any way to refuel without actually going to Fremantle?

You can probably guess that I don't have much left :)

AVGWarhawk
10-13-07, 07:47 PM
Unless you have a sub-tender close by you are done. Need to be easy on the speed. I get to the patrol area at 10 knots. When on station I patrol at 6-7 knots. I go flank for end rounds. If you run the sub in this fashion you should have plenty of fuel for 4-6 assigned areas and be able to make it home.

monkeymagoo
10-13-07, 07:55 PM
Cheers - will take your advice (once I give this damn task force the slip!)

SteamWake
10-13-07, 10:01 PM
Yup fuel conservation is a MAJOR part of this game.

Good luck to you. If you run out. well your SOL.

Be more conservative...er... aggressive... er... oh whatever.

keep an eye on the fuel.

Steeltrap
10-14-07, 02:32 PM
Another useful tactic is to SET YOUR SPEED IN KNOTS using the alternative display of the telegraph. You can get up to 11kts on 2/3, and as high as 8 on 1/3. Then check the "max range at current speed" to see what is delivering the best speed.

Final, really useful tactic? Find a place where you are almos certain shipping is going. Narrow shipping passages are best. Then simply sit there at 80'. Your hydrophones will detect things at greater range than your lookouts, you can't get hassled by aircraft, and you use NO batteries at "all stop" thus no fuel recharging them when you surface for air. If you sit at "all stop" on the surface, however, you DO use fuel, although slowly.

I've done this so I use almost no fuel at all once I get where I need to. I have never, ever run out of fuel (I don't really understand all the posts complaining about it.....).

Hope this helps.

Cheers