PDA

View Full Version : Yards to Nautical Miles Conversion Table

Reno
10-12-07, 10:45 AM
http://www.metric-conversions.org/cgi-bin/util/conversion-chart.cgi?type=2&from=14&to=10

While trying to get comfortable with manual plotting I came across the above conversion table. Wish I had the smarts to make it a drop down like the Captain Cox Pacific map. (hint :hmm: )

Ducimus
10-12-07, 11:24 AM
http://www.metric-conversions.org/cgi-bin/util/conversion-chart.cgi?type=2&from=14&to=10

While trying to get comfortable with manual plotting I came across the above conversion table. Wish I had the smarts to make it a drop down like the Captain Cox Pacific map. (hint :hmm: )

If i wasnt too lazy, id fire up the game, take a screenshot of a converstion chart, and then post it, just to get a reaction. But ahh.. meh.. yeah, its been done, just not in the scale you want.

Rockin Robbins
10-12-07, 12:53 PM
As per Edward Beach, "Run Silent, Run Deep" etc, all sub skippers used the 1 nm = 2000 yards conversion when doing calculations. It's plenty close enough to hit anything you shoot at. Overly precise numbers are useless as your measurement methods aren't as accurate as your numbers. For instance, just how accurate is that stadimeter? I'd say +-5%. Except sometimes when it's even worse. Using overly accurate conversion figures gives you a false impression of accuracy that will definitely bite you in the keister. We're left with a chart which has no application because by the time you pull down the chart, you could have figured the answer several times in your head.

I'm sure we have a physical scientist around here who can explain the concept of significant figures better than I can.

AVGWarhawk
10-12-07, 12:57 PM
All the same, I'm going to print it up and use it.

Reno
10-12-07, 01:52 PM
...We're left with a chart which has no application because by the time you pull down the chart, you could have figured the answer several times in your head.

My thinking was that this would be handy when using the compass for distance measurements. I've been trying to digest Werner Sobe's technique for engaging targets without visual contact and he uses the compass for quick distance measuring. I'm not real smart. If I were doing a plot using the sim's compass that gives distance in portions of a mile I'd have to scratch my head a bit to figure out what portion of a mile 3450 yards is. I'm trying to work on my speed. This chart helps me to do that. I guess it's all in what you're comfortable with.

AVGWarhawk
10-12-07, 01:56 PM
I want this for one reason. If I get a sound contact I will ping the contact to get the yards distance. Sometimes I get 30000 yards. At that point I like to convert the yards to NM. This is a quick reference for me.

Ducimus
10-12-07, 02:00 PM
I know in TM, i added this quick conversion chart to the help menu (cause i ahve a speed to distance conversion chart in CC's gramaphone/ pacific pulldown map mod:

100 M 00328 Ft / 0109 Yrd / 0.05 Nm

500 M 01640 Ft / 0547 Yrd / 0.3 Nm

1000 M 03280 ft / 1093 yrd / 0.5 Nm

2000 M 06561 Ft / 2187 Yrd / 1.1 Nm

3000 M 09842 Ft / 3280 Yrd / 1.6 Nm

4000 M 13123 Ft / 4374 Yrd / 2.2 Nm

5000 M 16404 Ft / 5468 Yrd / 2.7 Nm

6000 M 19685 Ft / 6000 yrd / 3.2 Nm

7000 M 22965 Ft / 7655 yrd / 3.8 Nm

8000 M 26246 Ft / 8748 Yrd / 4.3 Nm

9000 M 29527 Ft / 9842 Yrd / 4.9 NM

Not the full range, but it gives you quick approximates.

Sailor Steve
10-12-07, 04:52 PM
My current cell phone has a converter function, with several empty slots. They are now full of NM-Km, NM-miles etc.

Rockin Robbins
10-12-07, 06:51 PM
...We're left with a chart which has no application because by the time you pull down the chart, you could have figured the answer several times in your head.
My thinking was that this would be handy when using the compass for distance measurements. I've been trying to digest Werner Sobe's technique for engaging targets without visual contact and he uses the compass for quick distance measuring. I'm not real smart. If I were doing a plot using the sim's compass that gives distance in portions of a mile I'd have to scratch my head a bit to figure out what portion of a mile 3450 yards is. I'm trying to work on my speed. This chart helps me to do that. I guess it's all in what you're comfortable with.
First with a chart you have to interpolate, introducing inaccuracy. Second before you can find the chart, you can figure it out in your head. 3450 yards / 2 = 1725. Slide the decimal 3 places to the left and find 3450 yards=1.725 nm. Find that conversion chart yet? I thought not.

Reading assignment, all by Edward Beach: Run Silent, Run Deep. Cold is the Sea. Dust on the Sea. Figuring this stuff and more will be second nature when you're done.

@Steve: THOSE are useful conversions!!!!

@self: You know it occurs to me that in the war, they would be using slide rules. Anybody use one of those lately? Any young whipper snappers even know one if it bit you?:huh: I used to have some circular slide rules I swore by. But the real sub guys wouldn't have been caught dead without their trusty slide rule in hand!

Sailor Steve
10-13-07, 02:24 PM
...you can figure it out in your head. 3450 yards / 2 = 1725. Slide the decimal 3 places to the left and find 3450 yards=1.725 nm.
D'OH!!!

I was going to go all uppity and point out that one nautical mile is actually 2025.3718 yards, but then I realized that you probably already knew that. Then I realized that you're right - as far as quick figuring goes, that method is as simple as can be. I wish I'd thought of it years ago.

Reno
10-13-07, 03:35 PM
I don't care what you say, Rockin Robbins. I'm still glad for the chart because if I didn't mention it I probably never would have learned about your quick, easy, and accurate mental conversion method. Thanks for the lesson.:up:

All the best,

Reno

Rockin Robbins
10-13-07, 09:23 PM
I don't care what you say, Rockin Robbins. I'm still glad for the chart because if I didn't mention it I probably never would have learned about your quick, easy, and accurate mental conversion method. Thanks for the lesson.:up:

All the best,

Reno

That's what we're all here for: to prod each other into being better sub commanders and have more fun playing the best submarine simulator on earth!

MONOLITH
10-13-07, 10:33 PM
My current cell phone has a converter function, with several empty slots. They are now full of NM-Km, NM-miles etc.

Heh. Do you get 5 full bars of signal near Guam? :rotfl:

subcpo
10-13-07, 11:04 PM
I use 1NM = 2000 yds on my real Sub.

Sailor Steve
10-14-07, 03:39 PM
That's why they invented the phrase "close enough for government work".:rotfl:

don1reed
10-15-07, 08:05 AM
Howdy, subcpo!!:up:

Welcome aboard....real sub huh? Lucky dog.

Cheers,