PDA

View Full Version : Renown tosh

STEED
06-10-07, 11:11 AM
Anyone cracked this renown arcade tosh yet? I hated it in SH3 and I still hate it in SH4 you have to buy stuff with your renown, yea right just like they really did in the war. Sail back home and see what you can buy what a load of tosh.

Seeweed
06-10-07, 11:26 AM
Tosh? The only tosh I know is Peter.

tater
06-10-07, 11:37 AM
While I agree it is mostly nonsense, the renown cost can possibly be used to some advantage.

Right now, there is never any limit to torpedos in port. In reality there was quite a shortage, even in 1943. That's why some boats got mining missions, they had mines to spare, but not torpedos. While the refits should just happen, IMO, the idea of renown "buying" torpedos isn't far fetched. Renown is earned by sinkings. Skippers that sink things were more likely to get a full load of torpedos and not useless mining missions, for example.

That's why when they thought they found a good new hunting ground they'd give it to Mush Morton, and not some timid guy who only ever fired 3 torpedos by sonar from 3000 yards to no effect.

Actually, I could see it even for some of the refits as well. If the admirals thought they guy was agressive, they'd be more likely to say, "I'm going to have them put a 5" deck gun on, go sink some marus with it!"

The values for stuff should be tweaked certainly, which is easy to do, they are all in plain text files.

tater

STEED
06-10-07, 11:41 AM
The values for stuff should be tweaked certainly, which is easy to do, they are all in plain text files.

tater

Tell all. :yep:

Where are they found?

joea
06-10-07, 11:59 AM
I agree with tater here, still think it could be a bit improved though.

tater
06-10-07, 12:13 PM
The UPCData folder has many submarine/ammo/refit files that list renown cost. Adjusting the amount you get for ships sunk, missions etc means a lot of work, though.

You know, the whole name of it, "renown" is kind of off-putting, but if you think of it in terms of performance, aggressiveness, etc, all the things the bosses valued in their endorsements, it actually makes a lot of sense. The problem is that like everything else in the game, it's kind of half-baked.

tater

JALU3
06-10-07, 04:05 PM
That does bring up a good question . . . would they give partial damage for positively damaging a major vessel . . . I have read actual WWII patrol logs, which credits a boat for damaging this warship or that warship . . . taking it out of the fight for X amount of months due to the need to repair and refit it in drydock somewhere away from battle.