PDA

View Full Version : Any mods or sequels planned to develop a new U-Boat Silent Hunter?

hocking
06-09-07, 05:38 AM
I really do miss my U-Boats and the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know why, but I really enjoy that theater of operations much more than the Pacific for some reason. Here are my questions:

1) Are there any modders planning on modding Silent Hunter 4 into another U-Boat sim similar to Silent Hunter 3? Is this even possible? I guess you would have to develop entirely new submarine, merchants, and combat ships 3D models in order to this. I don't even know if that is possible. Just curious.

2) Are the regular game developers planning an Add-On package where they use SH4 technology to bring us another U-Boat sub-sim? They could probably sell this Add-On for another $40-$50. Maybe this is what they have planned for SH5.

Again, just curious. Maybe I should just try to get more into the Pacific theater, but it just seems like it is missing something. I don't know what though.

Von Manteuffel
06-09-07, 08:46 AM
Urfish is attempting to get a group together to bring SH4 graphics, vessels etc to SH3. Check out the SH3 mods forum. \he seems to be struggling for support and help.

No-one knows what the devs or Ubisoft are planning (except for a promise of Patch 1.03 ) After that I suppose it all depends on market-forces, sales of SH4 etc. They certainly won't put development time and money into something which doesn't give them a very good chance of making a profit from it - and it's a big bad cut-throat commercial world out there.
I believe SH4 has sold well world-wide, but whether Ubisoft see further submarine sims as commercially viable is dependent on lots of factors besides sales - mainly dev resources. If you have the choice of developing a FPS which research shows will sell, say, 100,000 units in the first month, or another subsim which will sell 50,000 in the same time, but you only have the resources to develop one of them, which you choose is a no-brainer.
Another problem - strangely - is the existence of such a strong community of modders - certainly for SH3 and growing for SH4. Again, from a commercial point of view, why spend time and money on developing the game when the users are doing it for themselves so effectively?

TDK1044
06-09-07, 09:17 AM
You may be interested in this.

http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/

This is a free WWII U Boat sub sim being developed on-line by a group of Independent Devs. No Dynamic campaign as yet, but the project is coming along. You can download the current Alpha version and play it.

daft
06-09-07, 09:17 AM
I really do miss my U-Boats and the Atlantic Ocean. I don't know why, but I really enjoy that theater of operations much more than the Pacific for some reason. Here are my questions:

1) Are there any modders planning on modding Silent Hunter 4 into another U-Boat sim similar to Silent Hunter 3? Is this even possible? I guess you would have to develop entirely new submarine, merchants, and combat ships 3D models in order to this. I don't even know if that is possible. Just curious.

2) Are the regular game developers planning an Add-On package where they use SH4 technology to bring us another U-Boat sub-sim? They could probably sell this Add-On for another $40-$50. Maybe this is what they have planned for SH5.

Again, just curious. Maybe I should just try to get more into the Pacific theater, but it just seems like it is missing something. I don't know what though.

If you haven't already, start reading up on the Pacific campaign. Personal accounts, official histories, boat histories etc, etc. It really helps the immersion. If I hadn't been reading so much about both the Atlantic and Pacific submarine campaigns I probably hadn't given SH3 or SH4 a chance. I've found that the more background details you know the more fun the games are. :)

Sailor Steve
06-09-07, 10:34 AM
Upgrading SH3 to SH4 standards would be wonderful, whether done as a new game by the devs or if the proposed mods can be made to work.

On the other hand, what's wrong with SH3 as it is? I'll keep playing it until something better does come along; and if nothing does, I'll play it forever.

STEED
06-09-07, 04:14 PM
Steve, your addictive you need to see a doctor about the problem. Wait a minute I too better make an appointment as well. :damn: :lol: ;)

hocking
06-09-07, 04:54 PM
There definitely isn't anything wrong with SH3. The only thing it really needs is graphical updates from time to time so it doesn't look very dated. Having SH4 graphics in Silent Hunter 3 would be very nice indeed. I think graphics really add to the immersion factor dramatically.

I do need to get a few books about the Pacific Submarine campaign and allow myself to get more into it. In my case, I first bought Silent Hunter 3 after seeing some great videos of in-game footage. I had never really thought I would like a Submarine game, but how wrong I was. I got completely addicted to the game to the point I started building plastic models, and reading books about the U-Boat peril (Clay Blair's "Hitler's Uboat War" series). The game actually got me into the history. Maybe the same will happen this time around with SH4.

I hope those Modders are able to put something together. I am clueless about that stuff.

Sailor Steve
06-09-07, 04:58 PM
Steve, your addictive you need to see a doctor about the problem. Wait a minute I too better make an appointment as well. :damn: :lol: ;)
You're wrong. I know you're wrong. The voices in my head told me so.

AVGWarhawk
06-09-07, 05:13 PM
I've found that the more background details you know the more fun the games are.

:yep: In no uncertain terms, you are correct!

peewee
06-09-07, 05:25 PM
I quite agree, just finished 'silent running' and 'US Subs Down Under'. Both of which help with the imagination

MONOLITH
06-09-07, 05:27 PM
Moderators here need a raise.

Capt. Shark Bait
06-10-07, 06:42 AM
i hope they do something more with the series. be a shame if it were left to die

joea
06-10-07, 09:23 AM
After the flame wars with SH4 I really doubt it. Anyway, SH3 is great, graphically too, only thing I like better in SH4 from my limited time with it (too old system) is the crew and damage interfaces / management. Crew management is much better in SH4.

Both theatres interest me anyway won't get into that.