PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth trying?

Jsbl
06-08-07, 07:17 AM
I just bought a new computer with specs of:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4 GHz
GF 8800 320 mb
2048 mb 667 MHz RAM
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

SH4 would run great on this system, but I'm still suspicious wether it really is worth buying. I'm having great fun with SH3 GWX, which fills great my underwater needs.

Tell me, guys... Should I go forward to SH4 or stick with U-boats?

Capt. Shark Bait
06-08-07, 07:21 AM
SH4 is definitely worth getting , despite the bugs which there are some mods that take care of some of them, and a forthcoming patch that'll hopefully take care of the rest. you're rig'll handle it just fine, possibly with all the candy turned up.

TDK1044
06-08-07, 07:30 AM
Get Silent Hunter 4. Patched to 1.2 and modded, this game is already good. It's going to get better and better with patch 1.3 plus additional mods. Have both SH3 and SH4 on your system. :D

Swat
06-08-07, 07:33 AM
Go for it,man.I have SH3+GWX and SH4 1.2 installed,you don't need to give up the pacific campaign.In my case it depends on the mood I have-one evening Atlantic,another evening or afternoon Pacific-also depends on the time....:up:

AVGWarhawk
06-08-07, 07:35 AM
I'll put it bluntly, since SH4 came out, all other games have come off my hard drive inclusive of SH3. This game is all that I play and do not tire of it at all. Go get it and you will not be let down.

Fish40
06-08-07, 08:00 AM
[quote=AVGWarhawk]I'll put it bluntly, since SH4 came out, all other games have come off my hard drive inclusive of SH3. This game is all that I play and do not tire of it at all. Go get it and you will not be let down.

That's a pretty drastic move, no?!:o

tater
06-08-07, 08:10 AM
That system is just like my new box except for vista (kept my XP Pro sp2). Running it will certainly be no problem, I can turn everything up, runs fine.

AVGWarhawk
06-08-07, 08:17 AM
[quote=AVGWarhawk]I'll put it bluntly, since SH4 came out, all other games have come off my hard drive inclusive of SH3. This game is all that I play and do not tire of it at all. Go get it and you will not be let down.

That's a pretty drastic move, no?!:o

Drastic? Yes! IMHO the game is that good that it requires my undivided attention and any time I have to mess with games, this is the one I want to play.

Fish40
06-08-07, 08:43 AM
I have to admit, that since I installed SH4, plus the RFB mod, although I haven't removed any of my other sims, I only play SH4!

I did go back last week and loaded up IL2FB, because I happened to see a show on the military channel about Russian AC, and the Sturmovik was featured. But to be honest, although IL2 is one of the best FS I have ever played, I had to notice the "dated" graphics as compared to SH4. I think I'll be staying in the Pacific (or under it lol) for some time!:lol:

SteamWake
06-08-07, 09:03 AM
I just bought a new computer with specs of:

Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4 GHz
GF 8800 320 mb
2048 mb 667 MHz RAM
Vista Home Premium 32-bit

SH4 would run great on this system, but I'm still suspicious wether it really is worth buying. I'm having great fun with SH3 GWX, which fills great my underwater needs.

Tell me, guys... Should I go forward to SH4 or stick with U-boats?

Its really hard to say.

If you have been playing SH3 all modded up you will probably not like SH4 at first. But you will learn to love it.

I would reccomend at least giving it a try. Hell you got a decent machine might as well push it to its limits ;)

AVGWarhawk
06-08-07, 09:04 AM
IL2 is a great game but yes, I have been playing so long some of the bordem has set in with it. SH4 was refreshing and has held my interest.

tater
06-08-07, 09:20 AM
I got frustrated with PF, though I still fly a little.

They have all this PTO content, but they clearly had no "plan." The maps are mostly suitable for CV operations, but CV operations are a cartoon of reality, and since the ships have no AI, killing them is a joke.

The area that really lends itself to the Il-2 engine is the CBI and SWPA, but the maps weren't there, or were poorly made (roads all over NG, etc). Also, the AI for the SWPA bombers of "Kenney's Kids" is awful, and has actually been intentionally ruined by recent patches. Bombers won't ever fly below 140m---B-25 and A-20 strafers that should come home with palm fronds stuck in them from flying so low.

Sigh.

GnarPow
06-08-07, 09:32 AM
SH4 rocks man...Buy it

Too badyou got the 320.. what were ya thinkin??? 640 is barely anymore money

momo55
06-08-07, 10:02 AM
I play battlefield 2 " Project Reality Mod" online with some clanguy's . No more vanilla bf2 for us there. http://prguide.realitymod.com/index.php?title=User_Guide

And SH IV is my favorit singelplayergame with Trigger Maru Mod for the moment .
Later i'll try the RFB mod as well.
Once patch 1.3 is out and the game is balanced and tweakt etc..i promist myself :lol:to learn the manuel targetting and go for 100% reality.

Still have SH3 GWX as well to play . My advice to you ,Jsbl , would be ...yes !...go for it.:yep:

ATR-42
06-08-07, 10:18 AM
you came to the wrong place to ask that sort of question. Id have to echo AVGs sentiments! with a system like that you owe it to yourself to immerse yourself in SH4!!!

the first few weeks since release date, it wasnt good, i was a full time submarine captain, food shopping, keeping up with friends, working out, mowing the lawn, all seemed to get lost in the mix of learning manual targeting and sailing the pacific! :) it was non stop, i was HOOKED, now after some time its down to a somewhat less addictive bad habit, at least i go food shopping and started running again ;)

nay sayers worry about the bugs, this game is fully playable and highly addictive in its current state of goodness

let us know!

joea
06-08-07, 11:10 AM
I got frustrated with PF, though I still fly a little.

They have all this PTO content, but they clearly had no "plan." The maps are mostly suitable for CV operations, but CV operations are a cartoon of reality, and since the ships have no AI, killing them is a joke.

The area that really lends itself to the Il-2 engine is the CBI and SWPA, but the maps weren't there, or were poorly made (roads all over NG, etc). Also, the AI for the SWPA bombers of "Kenney's Kids" is awful, and has actually been intentionally ruined by recent patches. Bombers won't ever fly below 140m---B-25 and A-20 strafers that should come home with palm fronds stuck in them from flying so low.

Sigh. Hmmm sorry to go OT, but you know the latest versions and patches offer a Burma, Manchuria and Kholkin-Gol map? Burma is very nice IMO.

To the OP, you have a great machine might as well use it...you won't regret it. Why tater himself is working on fixing the campaign layers, and the IJN and IJA plane loadouts as well. Not to forget the other great modders. :rock:

Jsbl
06-09-07, 04:19 PM
Thank you, all of you, for your encouragement.

I have it now!

Haven't though installed it yet. I must wait for a suitable moment with no interruptions in sight.

Right now I'm very enthusiastic - haven't been in the Pacific since Silent Service II!

THE_MASK
06-09-07, 05:41 PM
:lol:

MaxT.dk
06-09-07, 07:32 PM
Have fun with it! :) remember to look into MOD section ;)

tater
06-09-07, 07:54 PM
joea, i bought pe-2 online (DL), and had '46 preordered. I'm an old hand at
il-2 :) . Ian's Burma map is great, but the Manchuria is more of the same IMO. Usefule places, but no soul, no attention to detail like ian's maps (or the new map coming with 4.09 that looks to be stunning, even if it's not a theater i care about).

tater

GTHammer
06-09-07, 11:40 PM
I took all my games off as well, except for Falcon 4.0 Allied force, but it doesn't take up much space. However, I haven't played it more than three times since I got SH4.

McBeck
06-11-07, 04:10 AM
Let us know what you think :D

Indiana_Jones
06-11-07, 05:12 AM
lol I love it how some people make it sound like you can only have SH3 or SH4, not both......

HAVE BOTH! lol

.....Damn I want my motorcycle to be fixed

-Indy

ReallyDedPoet
06-11-07, 07:31 AM
lol I love it how some people make it sound like you can only have SH3 or SH4, not both......

HAVE BOTH! lol

Yeah, this is a funny one for sure :yep:

RDP