PDA

View Full Version : Computer requirements...

barney
06-05-07, 09:56 PM
I have a Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz processor, 786 RAM, Radeon 9550 video card. Frame rates are Ok but poor. Is it RAM I need? Or a new video card? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaves
06-05-07, 10:01 PM
Sorry but all of the above.

I assume you have an AGP motherboard which means if you want to get a better video card you will really want a PCI-E type. P4 2 gb maybe good for some older games and simply PC usage but for new games you will want more. The minimum amount of RAM you want is 1 gig aswell. Although i'd advise 2gb or more.

THE_MASK
06-05-07, 10:40 PM
You can keep the same computer , you just need to replace the mobo,cpu,graphics card,ram,power,and case . Apart from that everythings ok :up: .

barney
06-05-07, 10:47 PM
OK, I'm in a bad place. Thank you. I would mention that my RAM is PC800, rare and most expensive, yes?

Reaves
06-05-07, 11:41 PM
Hmm PC800? Never had it myself. I'm currently using Kingston DDr2. Depeneds on what your current bus speed of your mother board is. Is it an 800 mhz one? That would mean you can get a better board and will also need the new ram to put in it.

Check out some Alienware computers if you don't want to build one yourself. They are now owned by Dell but you can see from the specifications of them to see what you need for a decent gaming rig. (or you used to be able to before Dell...)

UnSalted
06-06-07, 12:52 AM
I looked long and hard at Alienware before I bought my current PC and decided I wasn't going to pay a 15% premium for an insect logo. I went with a Velocity Micro system that was everything they advertised and about $350 less than a comparable Bughead. :)

Reaves
06-06-07, 01:02 AM
I looked long and hard at Alienware before I bought my current PC and decided I wasn't going to pay a 15% premium for an insect logo. I went with a Velocity Micro system that was everything they advertised and about $350 less than a comparable Bughead. :)

Indeed. It's a good brand to check out if you want a gaming rig. Personally I buy all my components seperately and put it together myself but for people who don't really know what you need to have a gaming rig it's a good place to start looking.

Wouldn't buy one myself, although I wanted to win one once. It had a cool green glowing case. :rock:

Fish40
06-06-07, 05:58 AM
I've been looking into buying a new machine myself. After looking at several companies, I'm deciding to go with Cyberpower. They have what I want, at the best price;)

GnarPow
06-06-07, 08:20 AM
$700-1000 and you can build a computer that would DESTROY your current one

SteamWake
06-06-07, 01:32 PM

Not to mention some considerable damage to your savings :p

UnSalted
06-06-07, 01:37 PM
Mine's a year old so it's oudated. I'll send it in for some upgrades when Vista has a Service Pack.

GnarPow
06-06-07, 07:32 PM

Not to mention some considerable damage to your savings :p

This is true as well ... I know this all too well because I just upgraded my system this week :p :p

ReallyDedPoet
06-06-07, 07:38 PM
Personally I buy all my components seperately and put it together myself

I bought the components and had a computer techie across the street from me build it.

RDP

Reaves
06-06-07, 07:42 PM
Personally I buy all my components seperately and put it together myself
I bought the components and had a computer techie across the street from me build it.

RDP

Buying the components is the hard part. Although why do it yourself when someone else can? :know:

SteamWake
06-06-07, 08:02 PM
Buying the components is the hard part. Although why do it yourself when someone else can? :know:

Because if you want it done right you do it yourself.

That is if you know wtf your doing.

switch.dota
06-07-07, 02:13 AM
I have a Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz processor, 786 RAM, Radeon 9550 video card. Frame rates are Ok but poor. Is it RAM I need? Or a new video card? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I play on an Athlon XP 1.7Ghz, 768 RAM, gForce 6600. Game runs, pretty acceptable le too unless I want TOO much eye candy (actually I keep FSAA on 4x just to use that GPU for something - it's the CPU tyhat's keeping me down).

You basically need more RAM and CPU and video to get the most out of SH4. AKA new computer. Sorry but that's how things are.

But between you and me: it's playabe on your system! Enjoy it like that and install it first thing when you get a new pc!

TDK1044
06-07-07, 06:57 AM
The great thing is that this game will play beautifully on a mid range system. My rig has a P4 3.0 processor, 2 GIGS of RAM, and a GeForce 7600GT video card. By disabling the event camera and the volumetric fog, I run with all graphics maxed out and with AA set at 8X and AF set at 4X.

The end result is a very smooth running game with good fps. I get 21fps exterior within Pearl harbor, and between 27 and 40 fps on exterior shots at sea.

AVGWarhawk
06-07-07, 07:34 AM
I have much the same as TDK and the game looks great, with that said, if you go above and beyond the hardware we have, you will be in the bonus:up:

AkbarGulag
06-07-07, 09:35 AM
OK, I'm in a bad place. Thank you. I would mention that my RAM is PC800, rare and most expensive, yes?
PC800?, I think you have RDRAM, if your running single channel with a terminator thats about 2.5 - 3 gbits of memory bandwidth. Most modern machines push about twice as much memory, some even push more. Was great RAM back in the day, just never took off in a big way, because it was too expensive for people in the mainstream market, those boards are also one of the few true dual channel boards.

In my opinion this game is more RAM hungry than anything else. But I would seriously start looking at a whole new machine Barney.