PDA

View Full Version : Devs 1 Player 0

TDK1044
06-05-07, 11:29 AM
So there I was....I had attacked my convoy and I was diving deep and changing course in order to slip away from the destroyers that were now searching for me.

I ordered 'Rig for silent running', and I was listening for any change with the persuing destroyers that might lead me to believe that further action was needed on my part.

All was well when suddenly I hear a piercing whistle followed by "Relieve the watch". I jumped back in my chair, spilling my coffee as I did so.

You got me with that one, Dan! You'd better fix it in the patch or i'll send you the bill for cleaning my pants! :D

PepsiCan
06-05-07, 11:41 AM
Yep! Classy! Everything's set to silent running and you're trying to be dead quiet and then you hear this high tone and someone yelling over the intercom.

But hey, you should have called for battle stations. Then there is no watch :D

FIREWALL
06-05-07, 11:58 AM
I hope theres a way to take it out of the game as well as the bell in battle stations. Even the dc's and ship explosions aren't as loud as that whistle or bell.

Any way to diable both ?

SteamWake
06-05-07, 12:12 PM
all you need is some modder to find the sound file and edit it.

Julius Caesar
06-05-07, 12:57 PM
:nope: Same thing with all crew to battlestations when you are using silent running

dean_acheson
06-05-07, 01:51 PM
LOL, this happened to me the other day, thank God my coffee wasn't in my hand....

orangenee
06-05-07, 01:59 PM
There's nothing worse than having waving your arms frantically at the screen while going 'shhhhhhh' because of the watch change whistle going off or being told there's a 'SONAR CONTACT!!' Just while a destroyer is moving above you.

John Channing
06-05-07, 02:01 PM
OK... it seems a lot of you missed basic training.

Lesson 1. When you engage the enemy GO TO GENERAL QUARTERS!

Not only do you get a bump in crew efficiency but you won't get the crew change whistle until you stand down.

Lesson over.

JCC

TDK1044
06-05-07, 02:09 PM

Not only do you get a bump in crew efficiency but you won't get the crew change whistle until you stand down.

Lesson over.

JCC

Yeah, but then my pants would never have got to experience a Starbucks cappucino, John. Wasn't General Quarters killed at the battle of little big horn? :D

donut
06-05-07, 02:13 PM
Patch 1.03 tension,is bring out humorus posts,better than bitching.:up: :rock:

LZBTD
06-05-07, 02:17 PM

Lesson over.

JCC

Yeah, but then my pants would never have got to experience a Starbucks cappucino, John. Wasn't General Quarters killed at the battle of little big horn? :D

naw that was Kernal Kustard :roll:

SteamWake
06-05-07, 02:19 PM

Lesson over.

JCC

Ummm teacher ? You forgot the part about not forgetting to setp down from GQ when possible or your crew will pass out eventually. :know:

I often step down when running silent as were in "evasion" mode and crew effeciency is irrelevant (they arent loading munitions after all). As in a "role playing" mode to me it doesent make sense to be in GQ and silent at the same time.

So yea Ive been "alerted" by the whistle as well :smug:

John Channing
06-05-07, 03:07 PM

Lesson over.

JCC

naw that was Kernal Kustard :roll:

Nope... he was busted down to 2 Major Dimes and a Corporal Knickle.

JCC

John Channing
06-05-07, 03:12 PM

Lesson over.

JCC

Ummm teacher ? You forgot the part about not forgetting to setp down from GQ when possible or your crew will pass out eventually. :know:

I often step down when running silent as were in "evasion" mode and crew effeciency is irrelevant (they arent loading munitions after all). As in a "role playing" mode to me it doesent make sense to be in GQ and silent at the same time.

So yea Ive been "alerted" by the whistle as well :smug:

When in contact with the enemy you should always be at GQ, SAILOR! That's what General Quarters is for. Not to mention that you may need a boost in the efficiency of your damage control party without a whole lot of warning.

Now... if you forget to stand them down... well that's just baaaaaaaaaaad command work.

JCC

I bet you were the kid in class who always reminded the teacher that she forgot to hand out the homewrk, just before the bell rang. Fess up... it was you, wasn't it?

SteamWake
06-05-07, 03:18 PM
I bet you were the kid in class who always reminded the teacher that she forgot to hand out the homewrk, just before the bell rang. Fess up... it was you, wasn't it?

You gotta be kidding me ! LOL not me ! I was the one who slipped out just before the bell rang. Either that or was "asked" to stay after class.

Hrm... If your in "silent running" will repairs take place ? I know it wouldent in SH3, I just 'figured' it dident in SH4 as well.

John Channing
06-05-07, 03:27 PM
You know... I have no idea!

Of course that's cuz I never let the Op-For get close enough to do any damage.

PHBBBBBT!

JCC

THE_MASK
06-05-07, 04:58 PM
Silent running = running very very silently :lol:

nomad_delta
06-05-07, 05:51 PM
Regarding the watch-changing whistle, calling to battlestations, and other "loud noises that shouldn't happen during silent running":

Does anyone know whether these things actually affect your sub's noise profile and the likelyhood of your being detected by passive sonar, or is it strictly a break from immersion and doesn't otherwise affect gameplay?

Actually, I've often wondered the same thing about deploying the radio or the gramaphone -- do either of those increase your sub's overall volume/detectability?

nomad_delta

popeye
06-05-07, 06:32 PM
so how do i call general quarters? i tried yelling red alert into my mic, but they didnt do anything.

seriously, i dont see anything about that on the key command legend.

SteamWake
06-05-07, 07:51 PM
so how do i call general quarters? i tried yelling red alert into my mic, but they didnt do anything.

seriously, i dont see anything about that on the key command legend.

Its on the crew command screen button looks like a clip board. Then another button that looks like the con tower.

popeye
06-06-07, 02:47 AM
thanks

vindex
06-06-07, 02:51 AM

Okay, here's my question: What exactly does the bump in crew efficiency give you? I've never encountered any change to my sub's performance whether I was at 100% or 1% crew efficiency in any compartment besides torpedo reloading.

DURUK
06-06-07, 03:52 AM
well.. i know that your engines will stop if you have 0% efficiency

FooFighters
06-06-07, 05:52 AM
well.. i know that your engines will stop if you have 0% efficiency

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think we all had a similar situation.. I sure did..

PepsiCan
06-06-07, 07:44 AM
I think it may also impact how quickly damage is restored.

Safe-Keeper
06-06-07, 09:19 AM
Sounds like something out of Down Periscope:rotfl:.

spliffbizzie
06-06-07, 09:22 AM
bRegarding the watch-changing whistle, calling to battlestations, and other "loud noises that shouldn't happen during silent running":

Does anyone know whether these things actually affect your sub's noise profile and the likelyhood of your being detected by passive sonar, or is it strictly a break from immersion and doesn't otherwise affect gameplay?

Actually, I've often wondered the same thing about deploying the radio or the gramaphone -- do either of those increase your sub's overall volume/detectability?

nomad_delta

i was gonna ask this same question, anyone any idea if it affects your sound profile?

TDK1044
06-06-07, 09:40 AM
[/quote]
i was gonna ask this same question, anyone any idea if it affects your sound profile?[/quote]

To hell with that. What about my cheap Walmart pants! :D

John Channing
06-06-07, 11:06 AM
i was gonna ask this same question, anyone any idea if it affects your sound profile?

To hell with that. What about my cheap Walmart pants! :D

Here you go.

Help for TDK (http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla3.jsp;jsessionid=0001IZ2VXJKVR QU0KTGOGLNEF1I:10tt5nmhp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=41014 445&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140085477&bmUID=1180160295742)

It won't help you with your current situation, but for those future occasions where you forget to go to GQ, it seems like a prettty good idea. Another possibility would be...

WHEN ENGAGING THE ENEMY, GO TO GENERAL QUARTERS!

JCC

Honestly.... what are they teaching these new commanders at Annapolis these days!

AVGWarhawk
06-06-07, 11:17 AM
i was gonna ask this same question, anyone any idea if it affects your sound profile?[/quote]

To hell with that. What about my cheap Walmart pants! :D[/quote]

To hell with the pants.....patrol naked:o

Deep6
06-06-07, 11:53 AM

Just watch that coffee! The coffe won't be the only beans roasted! :D

TDK1044
06-06-07, 12:52 PM
To hell with the pants.....patrol naked:o[/quote]

Now you're in John's territory. Patrol naked with pizza and beer. Many a target missed on a lonely night at sea.:D

John Channing
06-06-07, 12:55 PM

Now you're in John's territory. Patrol naked with pizza and beer. Many a target missed on a lonely night at sea.:D

That's why they assigned me the USS Snapper. Make up your own jokes.

I may have to shut this thread down in self-defence.

JCC

AVGWarhawk
06-06-07, 02:31 PM

That's why they assigned me the USS Snapper. Make up your own jokes.

I may have to shut this thread down in self-defence.

JCC

Your next assignment is USS Smelt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelt

XanderF
06-07-07, 07:56 PM
Where are we going so fast?

And why am I in this handbasket??