PDA

View Full Version : i am not happy right now

Capt. Shark Bait
06-05-07, 04:59 AM
about 10hrs gone:x . so, i get the photo recon taken care of, it was an enemy sub docked, and my new orders were to go patrol off Iwo Jima. i sink a few on the way and decide to refit at Midway. so, i get back to my patrol area and come across a convoy after a few days. 1 DD and 4 or 5 merch; don't recall cuz i had 3 other DDs all over me and got rammed a coupla time but no damage except for the deck gun. next i set a course, i'm at 2 0 0 feet silent running and figure it's safe enuff to goto the head. i get back a few minutes later and find i'm taking major damage and i'm now at 5 9 7 feet and going deeper:damn: . it was one of the best prosecutions i've conducted yet. total tonnage after the recon was over 67k:damn:. the last save was just after the recon mission:damn: :damn:. now i can't do anything till wed when i'm off again cuz i got a 12hr shift tonight:damn:

GakunGak
06-05-07, 05:02 AM
As my friend always says, SH*T HAPPENS NO MATTER WHAT...:yep:

switch.dota
06-05-07, 05:04 AM
If you sank so much tonnage I'd go deep and silent, manning hydros. If you even THINK the destroyer is DCing, dash for it. It's really tricky to get away when boxed in by 3 destroyers but it's not unheard of. I usually hang around 30m above test depth and get ready to dive a few times every time a DD passes close overhead. These evasive manuvers saved my prop shafts&engines more than once. As an alternative, anything passing very close directly ahead warrants an energency back from silent running.

GakunGak
06-05-07, 05:06 AM
I belive he said he was 200 feet at that time silent running, below thermal layer...:know:

switch.dota
06-05-07, 05:15 AM
I belive he said he was 200 feet at that time silent running, below thermal layer...:know:
I never assume depth = safe. I always leave a few dozen feet for a quick flank dive at hard starboard... without going TOO much beyong test depth. And if they get a lock on you before you go beyond thermal, aren't you just signing your death penalty?

Capt. Shark Bait
06-05-07, 05:18 AM
i was AFK when whatever started, started. it was way too late to do anything by the time i got back, not even an emerg. blow:damn: . some DC were close enuff to rock my boat, but not enuff to cause any damage so i figured i'ld be safe at 200 for a few minutes. guess not, huh:damn: i was going between 65 and 300 throughtout the engagement and those DDs got as close as just over 500yrds while i was at 65ft. wanted to keep the periscope as low as possible cuz it was night and the seas were rather calm. shoulda paused it instead of letting it run:damn:

switch.dota
06-05-07, 05:20 AM
i was AFK when whatever started, started. it was way too late to do anything by the time i got back, not even an emerg. blow:damn: . some DC were close enuff to rock my boat, but not enuff to cause any damage so i figured i'ld be safe at 200 for a few minutes. guess not, huh:damn:
Running in a straight line is siucide :( Might as well flank it topside, deck gun & aft tubes manned.

GakunGak
06-05-07, 05:33 AM
i was AFK when whatever started, started. it was way too late to do anything by the time i got back, not even an emerg. blow:damn: . some DC were close enuff to rock my boat, but not enuff to cause any damage so i figured i'ld be safe at 200 for a few minutes. guess not, huh:damn: i was going between 65 and 300 throughtout the engagement and those DDs got as close as just over 500yrds while i was at 65ft. wanted to keep the periscope as low as possible cuz it was night and the seas were rather calm. shoulda paused it instead of letting it run:damn:
Next time, plot a zig-zag...:know:

Capt. Shark Bait
06-05-07, 05:36 AM
that sounds like a plan, but don't the buttons need to be "pressed" one after the other? or does one alone enable a zig-zag?:-?

GakunGak
06-05-07, 05:39 AM
that sounds like a plan, but don't the buttons need to be "pressed" one after the other? or does one alone enable a zig-zag?:-?
I say manually plot an evasion course....
On a map...:|\\

Capt. Shark Bait
06-05-07, 05:49 AM
I say manually plot an evasion course....
On a map...:|\\

well, next time...if i remember it:ping:

Floyd
06-05-07, 06:44 AM

Yeah, but you'd better do not go to the head while 200 feet submerged ;)

GakunGak
06-05-07, 06:46 AM

Yeah, but you'd better do not go to the head while 200 feet submerged ;)
Why no, I go 600 feet....
That Max's mod makes miracle....:rock:

Floyd
06-05-07, 06:54 AM
Yeah, but you'd better do not go to the head while 200 feet submerged ;) Why no, I go 600 feet....
That Max's mod makes miracle....:rock:

Cool, he modded the toilet as well :lol:

GakunGak
06-05-07, 06:56 AM
Now that you mention it, I must go.... there......:huh:

TripleDaddy
06-05-07, 09:46 AM
Or you could have, you know, paused the game....

UnSalted
06-05-07, 10:00 AM
I'm a big believer in SAVING every few minutes. I;m also a believer in SAVING two cpoies of the game and alternating which one I save every time. Keeps me from losing anything important...like my tonnage. :)

SteamWake
06-05-07, 12:34 PM
I use 4 saves and roll through them overwriting the oldest one each time.

That being said I have yet to hit the "corrupt save" bug.

Use the old tried and true scoot and coast method to escape.

Wait till the DD begins its DC run and hit flank speed full rudder to one side or another. Remeber while they are on their run they cant hear a damn thing and the dc explosions leave a a lot of noise in the water. Not just from the explosion but from the curtain of air bubbles. Continue your Flank speed scoot untill the last explosion settles down.

Now return to "silent speed" 2 or 3 knots and place the rudder amidships and coast for a while.

Hopefully you can work into a position to where you present a low aspect to the DD's sonar and slip away.

Powerthighs
06-05-07, 01:31 PM
How do you guys track what the DDs are doing during these depth charge attacks? At %100 percent realism, it seems the only option is to use the hydrophones, which is tough since you can only listen in one direction at a time and the range and speed info isn't very good.

Any tips would be appreciated.

SteamWake
06-05-07, 02:38 PM
How do you guys track what the DDs are doing during these depth charge attacks? At %100 percent realism, it seems the only option is to use the hydrophones, which is tough since you can only listen in one direction at a time and the range and speed info isn't very good.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Its pretty easy actually. If a DD is closing close and slow suddenly goes ahead flank... Its a pretty sure bet there on a DC run. Pay attention to the boats that are close and closing.

Often you dont even need the sonar to hear them. The mark 1 ears are good enough.

What can catch you is when you lose track of the ones that stop to listen.

Crow
06-06-07, 05:19 AM

i just pee in my empty beer bottles , sounds tricky ? Not at all, sir , If you grab a warm bottle : don't drink:smug: if it's a cold one : you're ok :rock:

Hope this helps :know:

GakunGak
06-06-07, 06:13 AM

i just pee in my empty beer bottles , sounds tricky ? Not at all, sir , If you grab a warm bottle : don't drink:smug: if it's a cold one : you're ok :rock:

Hope this helps :know:
:lol: :up:

Argus00
06-06-07, 06:28 AM
LOL, yes, did that too... in the Army... guard duty... got so drunk I mixed up the bottles :o

Capt. Shark Bait
06-06-07, 06:33 AM

yes, yes i could. shoulda too, but i figured that leaving it run that by the time i got back i [/]might[/i]'ve been in a suitable position for a final solution on a DD. guess not, huh:doh:

Powerthighs, with what Steamwake said, listen also for the DDs screws revving up. that's a give away that it's started a run. they'll sound a higher pitch. and Steamwake, i've been doin that since i got SH4, goig to flank with a hard turn:ping:

PepsiCan
06-06-07, 06:41 AM
Another thing to consider is the profile you show against the DDs. the narrower it is, the less likely the DD can ping you. So, showing your broadside to them is not a good idea :-)