PDA

View Full Version : crush depth changing....

kv29
06-03-07, 09:53 PM
How can we know what is the actual crush depth after some repairings??
After taking some hits and done some repairings, my subs does not show any visual damage, and the systems are all nominal. Then I tried to submerge about 30m and everything went right to hell :down: .

The other day I went at periscope depth and happened the same thing, and didn´t know what happened, now I know why.

There should be a way to know it beforehand, lets say a lot more creaking sounds or something like that.

ReallyDedPoet
06-03-07, 09:55 PM
Not sure, but this may help a bit, maybe you have seen the thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114405&highlight=damage+analyzer

RDP

UnSalted
06-04-07, 12:27 AM
This may be heresy to people that believe in 100% realism, but after I take bulkhead damge and it's repaired I find a nice boring spot of water, save the game, and go down in small increments until I sink. Then I reload and continue on as if I hadn't just killed myself and my crew in exploring my new crush depth.

nattydread
06-04-07, 02:25 AM
If you take a hit from any anti-ship gun or bomb, assume the deepest you can go is about periscope depth...if your lucky.

You have to keep in mind ther eisnt any repair your crew can make on the open ocean that will return your sub back to anything close to working order.

And penetration of the pressure shull, and believe me and thing short of a .50cal or smaller is penetrating, will require nothing less than a overhaul to fix. Your guys to dont have the skill, material and resources on hand to patch up the highly sensitive construction required to keep that boat from becoming a water-logged sewer pipe.

Dont get it twisted, your repair crew is more akin to a medic putting a band-aid over a bullet hole. It may plug the hole, but you cant do much else until you get real medical attention...the nearest port is the sub's hospital.

kv29
06-04-07, 08:34 AM
nattydread, I agree with you, but then again, something IS flawed with the game.

Permanent damages in the sub is something realistic, but not knowing about them is probably not. If my crew made some reps on the hull pressure, I know that it has been compromised, but the damage screen should permanently show that someway, because I could easily forget about it in the heat of a battle. Would be way better to get an advice or a "warning" from my repairing team about it, something like "sir, we´ve repaired the hull but we strongly recommend not to go below 60 feets" and mark that as a new crushdepth.

A real commander would get that info.

Redwine
06-04-07, 08:40 AM
nattydread, I agree with you, but then again, something IS flawed with the game.

Permanent damages in the sub is something realistic, but not knowing about them is probably not. If my crew made some reps on the hull pressure, I know that it has been compromised, but the damage screen should permanently show that someway, because I could easily forget about it in the heat of a battle. Would be way better to get an advice or a "warning" from my repairing team about it, something like "sir, we´ve repaired the hull but we strongly recommend not to go below 60 feets" and mark that as a new crushdepth.

A real commander would get that info.

Completelly agree, was one of my request to the team into v1.3 patch... :up::up::up:

If you want to reduce that anoying effect, try Die Slowly Mod...

UnSalted
06-04-07, 10:37 AM
The game does not ensure that any bulkhead damage is drastic enough to sink you if you go lower than periscope depths. I've taken bulkhead damge twice in patrols, repaired it both times, and still could dive to 200 feet before imploding.

The problem in a gauge or warning to tell us exactly how much damage has been done is most likely due to the crew not being able to assess pressure hull damage with any degree of certainty at sea. Without the ability to examine welds for seams opening or hairline cracks caused by DCs or shells they couldn't be very sure of anything. I don't know how skippers made the calls about diving after damage but I'd expect them to be pretty cautious.