PDA

View Full Version : Can't load latest save.

ElAurens
06-03-07, 08:55 PM
Well gents, I think this will be the end of my time with SH4. I have a ton of time invested in this career, and now it ends 250 nm WSW of Midway because a simple game function crashes me to desktop every freaking time. A simple bloody game save, the first one of this patrol.

And yes, I was on the surface, and no I was not in time compression. None of those things should matter in any case.

I have tried to stick with it and play around the problems with this sim, but you know what? Life is too short to put up with a POS this big.

My only regret is that UBI got my money, and it's too late to get it back.

heartc
06-03-07, 08:58 PM
Save more than just once. Anyway, I never had a corrupted save game. Bye!

Shyzar
06-03-07, 08:59 PM
Well gents, I think this will be the end of my time with SH4. I have a ton of time invested in this career, and now it ends 250 nm WSW of Midway because a simple game function crashes me to desktop every freaking time. A simple bloody game save, the first one of this patrol.

And yes, I was on the surface, and no I was not in time compression. None of those things should matter in any case.

I have tried to stick with it and play around the problems with this sim, but you know what? Life is too short to put up with a POS this big.

Does it crash when your're actually in game or does it crash when it's almost completely loaded on the loading screen?

ElAurens
06-03-07, 09:00 PM
Good for you, heartc.

I have. Several times.

Stop apologizing for a bad product.

You work for UBI?

ElAurens
06-03-07, 09:04 PM
Shyzar, it crashes when the "Please Wait" text is up for a while. I've never timed it.

I click on the save, get the splash screen, then please wait, then poof, I'm at the desktop and Micorsoft wants to send an error report.

I've tried to load that save several times over the past 2 days with no luck.

heartc
06-03-07, 09:04 PM
Good for you.

I have. Several times.

Stop apologizing for a bad product.

You work for UBI?

No, not Ubi. Halliburton.

Shyzar
06-03-07, 09:12 PM
Shyzar, it crashes when the "Please Wait" text is up for a while. I've never timed it.

I click on the save, get the splash screen, then please wait, then poof, I'm at the desktop and Micorsoft wants to send an error report.

I've tried to load that save several times over the past 2 days with no luck.
Did you recently add any mods or patch the game? Some mods need to be activated in port, but I not sure about patches. Does anyone know if after patching in port, the save game is still playable? Because I don't want to lose my save when 1.3 comes out.

ReallyDedPoet
06-03-07, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know if after patching in port, the save game is still playable? Because I don't want to lose my save when 1.3 comes out.

I am going to say no, but don't quote me on that:doh:

Put it this way though, as good as your current career may be, there are still some serious bugs that need to be fixed, in the end lets hope that 1.3 addresses many of these. After that I am sure you will have many great careers:up:

RDP

Capt. Shark Bait
06-04-07, 06:10 AM
outta curiosity, what's the save size in MB? if it's double digits that could be what's causing it and it's possible there's a bug where that the save replay is "checked" without being checked, thereby causing very large save files. i had a similar prob, SH4 not responding, cuz my saves were over 20MB. now they're less than 5 and just load slowly. sent a ticket in to ubi tech and that's what we figured on why:hmm: . no determination was made on if it was a bug or not. coulda just been me refitting several times too many:-?

Argus00
06-04-07, 06:33 AM
@ Capt. Shark Bait - I've had the same CTD's 3 times so far in one career, and 1 more in my second career which I've started 4 days ago. In my case, my savegames were from 3 mb up to just over 6 mb. In two of the cases, I tried loading the last save, then the one before that, and so on - until the game finally loaded. In the other two instances, I couldn't load anything from those patrols. Had to reload in base, and then redo the patrol.

Last night I had my most recent CTD - not while attempting to load a save game, but while attempting to end the patrol. What I noticed after about an hour of frustration is that my in-game date was November 8, 1942, and when the patrol summary screen popped up after clicking on END PATROL, the date shown was October 27, 1942 - my patrol starting date was O(ctober 3, 1942. So it seems that something must have happened with my game's time/date keeping somewhere in the middle of the patrol... Of course, after the crashes I couldn't start the game again, I had to try for around 5 or 6 times because I kept getting an ERROR 1000 message: PLEASE LOAD THE ORIGINAL DISK, NOT A BACKUP. And then, 5 minutes later, my UPS started acting up, there were about 4 minutes of brownouts, spikes, lights flickering in the house.... hmmmmm, must have been a mothership outside, that's why I couldn't end my patrol :rotfl:

Shyzar
06-04-07, 09:12 AM
Did you enable any skins recently? This same CTD happened to me when I enabled a skin I made with Jap flags on it. For me, you have to enable skins in port. Not sure about other people though.

Argus00
06-04-07, 09:15 AM
I have the Redfin skin - but I'd enabled that two patrols ago, in base.

SteamWake
06-04-07, 09:28 AM
You dont have ANY previous saves ?

Capt. Shark Bait
06-04-07, 04:25 PM
@ Capt. Shark Bait - I've had the same CTD's 3 times so far in one career, and 1 more in my second career which I've started 4 days ago. In my case, my savegames were from 3 mb up to just over 6 mb. In two of the cases, I tried loading the last save, then the one before that, and so on - until the game finally loaded. In the other two instances, I couldn't load anything from those patrols. Had to reload in base, and then redo the patrol.

Last night I had my most recent CTD - not while attempting to load a save game, but while attempting to end the patrol. What I noticed after about an hour of frustration is that my in-game date was November 8, 1942, and when the patrol summary screen popped up after clicking on END PATROL, the date shown was October 27, 1942 - my patrol starting date was O(ctober 3, 1942. So it seems that something must have happened with my game's time/date keeping somewhere in the middle of the patrol... Of course, after the crashes I couldn't start the game again, I had to try for around 5 or 6 times because I kept getting an ERROR 1000 message: PLEASE LOAD THE ORIGINAL DISK, NOT A BACKUP. And then, 5 minutes later, my UPS started acting up, there were about 4 minutes of brownouts, spikes, lights flickering in the house.... hmmmmm, must have been a mothership outside, that's why I couldn't end my patrol :rotfl:

yeah, i've had that happen recently too. had to go back several save to load one that'ld work, resulting in having to redo most of the mission. it was a nice quiet CTD and nothing would work right afterward:damn: . i'm still thinkin there's a save size kinda bug that's doin this:-? . as for the "mothership" i know a good doctor:p

Major Johnson
06-04-07, 06:16 PM
Gentlemen, if I may, please take a look at this link;
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=116070

This guy stumbled across a tip, that should not be necessary, but I've tested it and I swear by it. I've experienced all of the above, and then some! I'm sorry the above thread didn't get more hits. It only take a few seconds to try this, I think it will help! Good luck!! :up:

Duke_Wellington_1st
06-05-07, 03:40 AM

I had this problem after about 2 weeks of play with the game. Have found nothing that works. Have given up. Its the sort of bug that should never have made it to release....but thats an old record now im sure.

THE_MASK
06-05-07, 04:00 AM
I had that problem with SH3 as well .

Argus00
06-05-07, 04:33 AM
@ Major Johnson - thank you. Yes, I'm aware of that tip - I've been playing games for 25 years now, so I do know quite a few tips and tricks to optimize my rig and/or to make a game more stable. Tried that, even though I don't have fps issues on my Dual core /w 2 GB RAM rig. What did help with the random ctd's in my case was setting the sh4.exe affinity to one core instead of two.

I still think it's a problem specific to SH4, because I'm playing some other games that are known to be bigger memory eaters / problem makers than SH$ (Oblivion, Gothic 3) and those work smoothly on my rig.

Anyway, bottom line for the incident described - I tried loading all saves from the patrol in question, and for every one of them when attempting to dock I got a CTD. I got to the autosaves (onleavingbase and oneneteringbase), loade, started a patrol and immediately ended it - boom, CTD. After loading a save game from the patrol just previous to this buggy one, and finishing it again, all went well. So it would seem that the game screwed up writing some files after ending my last patrol.

I don't know why it happened, I have no explanation for it (nor for the copy protection acting up afterwards like it did), and anyway I see from the forum that I've been quite blessed with a relatively trouble-free gaming experience. So I'm not giving up on SH4 :rock: