PDA

View Full Version : In the movie Silent running... question

SteamWake
06-02-07, 07:54 PM
One of the crewman (Don rickles I belive) stands near the periscope with a rubber bulb in his hand.

I was wondering what the heck that was and what he was doing ?

ps (I apologize if I got the actor wrong)

Linklinker
06-02-07, 10:39 PM
Did it have a cord coming out of it? I seem to remeber something on the bonus disc that came with SH4 and it showed someone holfing something in their hand that they used to give the order to fire torpedoes, but I may be mistaken.

Canonicus
06-02-07, 10:42 PM
Could it be a trigger device of some kind for Raising/lowering the scope?

UnSalted
06-02-07, 10:43 PM
The only thing I can think of from that era that might have used a rubber bulb were some manometers for measuring pressures and some early camera remote shutter releases.

Canonicus
06-02-07, 11:00 PM
If I remember correctly, the Don Rickles character (Ruby) is complained to by Cmdr. Richardson, (Clark Gable), because he wanted the scope to be up before the boat had leveled off at periscope depth... (part of the drill for faster dives and quicker observations he was putting the boat through). The purpose was to be able to fire quickly after reaching periscope depth.

Thats the scene in the conning tower right after Richardson sounds dive and has come down from the bridge.

Ruby, (Don Rickles), with this bulb in his right hand, is controlling the raising/lowering of the scope.

I could be wrong...So I'll have to find that scene on the DVD and re-check.

AVGWarhawk
06-03-07, 05:42 AM
If I remember correctly, the Don Rickles character (Ruby) is complained to by Cmdr. Richardson, (Clark Gable), because he wanted the scope to be up before the boat had leveled off at periscope depth... (part of the drill for faster dives and quicker observations he was putting the boat through). The purpose was to be able to fire quickly after reaching periscope depth.

Thats the scene in the conning tower right after Richardson sounds dive and has come down from the bridge.

Ruby, (Don Rickles), with this bulb in his right hand, is controlling the raising/lowering of the scope.

I could be wrong...So I'll have to find that scene on the DVD and re-check.

I believe you are dead on with this answer. Yes, his first dive Gable is standing there dumbfounded wondering why his scope is not up after he has dogged the hatch. Rickles is ordered to have it up and ready after a dive. I believe the ball was part of the scope mechanism.

SteamWake
06-04-07, 12:39 PM
Interesting...

One would think they would just have a button or switch up/down.

As an electrical engineer I have seen air operated switches. If you have a hot tub you have one. It is what is called "Intrinsically safe" as you are electrically isolated from the circuit. They (air switches) are also used in static sensative enviroments.
I though maybe it was to isolate the operater to avoid static shock. But then I realized the first one to touch the scope is the captain :doh:

Cmon you Grognards.. whats the story with the rubber bulb ?

Canonicus
06-04-07, 01:26 PM
Who say's it's a rubber bulb...Could be a hard metal or wooden grip. Shaped like a bulb to better fit the palm of the hand maybe?

If you look carfully at the scene....you don't see it flexing out of shape when he uses it... like you would if it was made of rubber.

It could still be made of rubber though....hard rubber maybe.

Canonicus
06-04-07, 01:33 PM
One thing we do know....Its a triggering device for raising and lowering the scope.

SteamWake
06-04-07, 02:24 PM
Who say's it's a rubber bulb...Could be a hard metal or wooden grip. Shaped like a bulb to better fit the palm of the hand maybe?

If you look carfully at the scene....you don't see it flexing out of shape when he uses it... like you would if it was made of rubber.

It could still be made of rubber though....hard rubber maybe.

It is very reminescent of the rubber bulbs used for the antique "shadow box" cameras.

SteamWake
06-04-07, 02:50 PM
Not to bump my own thread but in my research I blundered onto this website which is truely worth a look !

http://www.maritime.org/fleetsub/pscope/index.htm

Puster Bill
06-04-07, 03:35 PM
Even more importantly in that movie, why didn't the guy realize that trees need sunlight? I mean, come on - Hello, McFly, inverse square law! This guy is working in space and he isn't smart enough to realize that?

Oh, you meant the submarine one.

Nevermind.... :oops: