PDA

View Full Version : Joystick

Rose
06-02-07, 04:23 PM
What would be a good joystick for me to get for playing CFS3, IL2, and FSX? I would like at minimum a four-axis stick, consisting of elevator, aileron, rudder and throttle control. I am looking to replace my old Microsoft Sidewinder -- it only has three axes of movement (no rudder control). Some suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D.

Also, do most of you have a 4-axis joystick? Or do you have a joystick + rudder pedals?

Kratos
06-02-07, 05:46 PM
A few of us are using the logitech extreme 3d pro

When the pressures on, your stick performance is the difference between victory and total oblivion. The Extreme 3D Pro twist handle joystick will never let you down. The 12 programmable buttons and 8-way rubber hat switch give you optimum control, personalized to your taste. Whether you're dropping bombs at a distance or firing guns in a dog fight, the stable and precise Extreme 3D Pro will have you dominating the enemy in no time.

reasonably priced as well 20-30 pounds

Chock
06-02-07, 06:43 PM
I currently use a Saitek Cyborg EVO, but I don't recommend it unless you are prepared to tweek it like I did with mine:

It's a great stick performance-wise, and the fact that you can adjust its shape with several knurled thumb-screws is cool, but it has a centralising spring which is far too strong (so I clipped about two loops of the spring out, which makes it okay). It is lit up like a Christmas tree though, with red and blue lights all over the thing and that I could do without. No force-feedback on it either. Does the job and is small enough to fit on your desk without moving all your stuff, but it's not something to rave over. I would say pay no more than 20 quid for one (UK Sterling).

The above was a replacement for another Saitek stick, a Cyborg 3D force-feedback stick on which the rudder went U/S by the way, so Saitek are losing points with me a little, but we'll see.

The Cyborg 3D was a replacement for a Logitech stick that was okay but it was too big on the desktop being force-feedback. That being said, I certainly cannot fault the build quality of Logitech stuff, I've had one of their mice for over ten years and it still works just fine, even the printed logo hasn't worn off it! So if it came to similar sticks from Logitech and Saitek, Logitech would be my choice.

That's also why I'm not a fan of the X35/X36 sticks or their derivatives, as they lack robustness of other sticks. The fact that I've personally had two X36 rudders bust on me and one X35 plus one X36 stick also go U/S is enough to make me never buy one of those again, no matter how cool they look. Lots of buttons might look great, but if they break after a bit of use, then they're a waste of time and money.

An interesting one if you don't mind no force-feedback is this:

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/avjo.html

Not tried one of these, but the notion of twin throttle controls is interesting and I do intend to get one, I like the idea of mapping speed brakes and trim to the throttle levers in Condor, as I think that would be pretty cool. When I can be arsed picking one of these up, I'll certainly do so.

On the subject of rudder pedals, I have some Saitek ones, but I often just use the stick's twist function for a quick blast, although one thing I will say is that if you ever fancy flying the real thing (particularly gliders or high-powered prop aeroplanes, where a good bootfull on the rudder is really important) then the natural habit of applying rudder with your feet - that forms from doing it a lot - would probably prove useful as a conditioned response for the real thing.

:D Chock

Radtgaeb
06-02-07, 07:21 PM
An interesting one if you don't mind no force-feedback is this:

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/avjo.html

Not tried one of these, but the notion of twin throttle controls is interesting and I do intend to get one, I like the idea of mapping speed brakes and trim to the throttle levers in Condor, as I think that would be pretty cool. When I can be arsed picking one of these up, I'll certainly do so.

Actually, there IS a twist handle version of this. I saw one at Best Buy, but I got the Logitech Extreme 3D since so many people were swearing by it.

Rose
06-02-07, 07:31 PM
Sounds like Logitech 3D is the way to go. The Saitek dual throttle control looks interesting, but I CBA to cut the springs like you did, Chock. Does the Logitech 3D have force-feedback?

*Edit*: Kratos, you copied that STRAIGHT from the product description (http://computers.pricegrabber.com/joysticks-gamepads/m/1057476/search=logitech+extreme+3d) hahahaha

*Edit #2*: I looked further down on that page and many people are complaining that the joysticks calibration goes wacky after about a week, and there is no way to re-calibrate it. Have any of you guys had that problem?

Chock
06-03-07, 02:19 AM
Actually, there IS a twist handle version of this. I saw one at Best Buy, but I got the Logitech Extreme 3D since so many people were swearing by it.

LOL, I didn't say there wasn't a twist version of the AV8R, they all are, I said it had no force-feedback! :rotfl:

A FF version of it would be cool, maybe they'll get around to doing one at some point.

Dowly
06-03-07, 03:59 AM
A few of us are using the logitech extreme 3d pro

When the pressures on, your stick performance is the difference between victory and total oblivion. The Extreme 3D Pro twist handle joystick will never let you down. The 12 programmable buttons and 8-way rubber hat switch give you optimum control, personalized to your taste. Whether you're dropping bombs at a distance or firing guns in a dog fight, the stable and precise Extreme 3D Pro will have you dominating the enemy in no time.

reasonably priced as well 20-30 pounds

Wow, what a salespeech. :rotfl:

I use the Extreme 3D Pro and I'm happy with it. It has 12 buttons, so you really dont need to even touch your keyboard. I have all the main functions on the joystick, gears, flaps, trims etc.

And like Kratos said, it's cheap. I bought it for 31€. There's also the Logitech Force 3D Pro or something like that which is the same joystick, but has force feedback on it. Hunter's using that one.

Dowly
06-03-07, 04:02 AM
*Edit #2*: I looked further down on that page and many people are complaining that the joysticks calibration goes wacky after about a week, and there is no way to re-calibrate it. Have any of you guys had that problem?

Hmm... that makes sense.. as I was struggling with the rudder problem, I switched it to another USB port and it worked great after that. Now, the rudder problem is back. I guess I have to switch to another port again. ;)

Skybird
06-03-07, 06:50 AM
If you have the money to spend, go for a HOTAS.

There is the Cougar, which is expensive.

I use CH Fighterstick and ProThrottle, which also are expensive.

Others mention the X52, which is not as expensive, but also not really cheap.

All of these come with their own programming tool. Every owner usually insist that his pick is the best, easiest, most flexible one.

From experience from over 8 years, I can fully recommend CH gear. No wear and tear, no broken things, it never let me down, precise, extremely variable, and easy and flexible to program. Only the springs maybe could be a bit stiffer. But I got used to it. http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html (http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html)

Rudders are a must in any serious and reasonable flightsimming. You need them in dogfighting and precise aiming with slower planes (WW2 and the like), and especially for landing with crosswinds and civilian flightsims. I prefer the Simped Vario Pro, which are both extremely robust, and extremely precise, also offer a wide and far mor comfortable space between both feet than other pedals. They are now available in a range of versions, some of which mimic modern fighterjet pedals and toe-brakes.
http://shop.strato.de/epages/Store6.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/219707 (http://shop.strato.de/epages/Store6.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/219707)

Jimbuna
06-03-07, 06:57 AM
My recommendation would also be the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro :yep:

Good answer al the same :up:

@Dowly......What mic would you recommend? ;)

Dowly
06-03-07, 07:07 AM
@Dowly......What mic would you recommend? ;)

HA HA HA :shifty:

Radtgaeb
06-03-07, 07:22 AM
LOL, I didn't say there wasn't a twist version of the AV8R, they all are, I said it had no force-feedback! :rotfl:

A FF version of it would be cool, maybe they'll get around to doing one at some point.

OH! How in the world did I get no twist handle out of "no force-feedback"???? :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

HunterICX
06-03-07, 09:50 AM
I use the Logitech Force 3D Pro,

its good one, and easy use and buttons are easy accesable. when you installed the Force 3D pro you can mess with the Force engine in the Control panel to tweak it to your liking.
:up:

CCIP
06-03-07, 10:45 AM
I prefer Saitek sticks, e.g. the Cyborg.

I've had two of these and I've been very happy with both of them. I had two Logitechs and wasn't - they both wore out and started having problems very quickly. I wasn't very happy with them in general and I personally won't buy another Logitech stick in the future.

(in all honesty, I just hope the next stick I buy will be a Cougar!)

Bort
06-03-07, 10:53 AM
I personally have the Saitek X52 which I got last Christmas. Very high quality stick, easy to program, easy to use, hasn't worn out.

Before that I had the ST290 Pro from Saitek. Nothing really to complain about there for $20 at WalMart, springs got a little squeaky but some oil mended that problem. I imagine you're probably looking for something more high quality than that though, so my choice would be the X52. :yep:

PeriscopeDepth
06-03-07, 07:47 PM
I love my X-52. Use CH Pro pedals as well and have nothing to complain about.

PD

FIREWALL
06-03-07, 08:16 PM
Saitek X-52 controls and Saitek rudder pedals. On other Flisim forums they get high rateings for Performance, Price,
Duribilty and Support. I love my set. :up: :up: :up:

Shyzar
06-24-07, 10:54 PM

its good one, and easy use and buttons are easy accesable. when you installed the Force 3D pro you can mess with the Force engine in the Control panel to tweak it to your liking.
How long have you had that stick. I keep on seeing people saying logitechs crap out quickly. I can't get a Saitek, so This is pretty much my only option.

HunterICX
06-25-07, 04:38 AM

How long have you had that stick. I keep on seeing people saying logitechs crap out quickly. I can't get a Saitek, so This is pretty much my only option.

I have this Joystick since the 25th of december 2006

no issues so far
only in the beginning you have to mess with the force configuration to get it right for your liking.

I also got a old Logitech Wingman that is about 8 years old and still works like it is new :rock:

HunterICX

Jimbuna
06-25-07, 01:52 PM
I have this Joystick since the 25th of december 2006

Santa Claus was good to you then ;)

XabbaRus
06-25-07, 02:25 PM
Saitek Cyborg Evo here. A great stick. I don't find the spring too storng. Just right. I found logitech sticks were quite fragile. I had a Logitech pro and after playing EECH for a few montsh the rudder went wonky and then aileron. Checked out a few places and it seems they do have an issue with the pots wearing out and losing calibration adn the small springs wearing out. This was 5 years ago so maybe things ahve changed.

The cool lights on the Cyborg are great for playing a space sim too. :)