PDA

View Full Version : Have cargo load outs been included as desired 1.3 content?

nattydread
05-31-07, 11:02 PM
Just curious since its been noted (by leovampire for one) that the merchants do not have cargo on board. Only warships appear to have laod outs based on leo's observations

This lack of cargo is severly minimizing secondary explosions and like providing exceptional boyancy for the ships.

I'd like to see the ships have appropriate load outs based on origins and destination...so poor leovampire doesnt have to spend 3 months modding it for us.

I'd report it myself on the 1.3 patch post, but I forgot my password to the site and my email is down. I'd really like to see this work completed for 1.3

SteamWake
06-01-07, 08:56 AM
Honestly had never noticed.

I just want my radar to work.

tater
06-01-07, 09:01 AM
With mcoca's (utterly amazing, give him a medal) Automated Campaign Editor, every ship can be given a random cargo in under 5 minutes.

The only reason such a mod hasn't been released is that the people interested in the program (like myself) all seem to also want to add all kinds of other stuff to the layers.

A new set of campaign layers is just a matter of time. Personally I am kind of waiting for 1.3 other than testing ideas since redoing the entire campaign they way I'd like is rather a lot of work, and some of the work involves balancing things based on how the AI performs—I've done experiments with novel ideas to get the convoys not to stop, etc, but it's a major PITA. With improved AI (1.3) we might be able to just be more historical about it and it'll just work.

John Channing
06-01-07, 10:28 AM
Reading Dan's post the focus will (and should) be on fixing bugs, not adding features.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

JCC

tater
06-01-07, 10:40 AM
^^^ exactly. And changing this globally is no so very easy with the tool we've been given.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=113918

The code required isn't super easy, but almost anything can be done with this, and there are a few people who can really bang out the code as needed.

nattydread
06-01-07, 07:33 PM
Well cargo load outs arent a new feature. Its alreadyin the code, just not fleshed out for merchants. Leovampire was able to add load outs to merchants, but the work required is substantial. As mentioned before, they did the leg work for warships, but neglected merchants. It is perhaps why warships light up so easy when hit and merchants dont. The materials on board have a substantial impact on how much damage is inflicted by a torpedo or deck gun detonation.

Consider the significance in the difficulty in sinking a tanker if not one tanker in game is loaded with combustible liquids. Or if every merchant is sailing empty. Consider how easy it is to sink a warship when they are all loaded with ammo.

Im willing to bet these empty ships get tossed around more in heavy seas too and take on more damage than it should have if loaded and riding lower in the water with a lower center of gravity.

tater
06-01-07, 09:14 PM
No question they left it out. Look at the campaign layers, the convoys are carbon copies, and every single lone merchant occurance is identical (GENERIC freighter, default cargo inside and out, with a 25% chance of a second ship with it. All of them.

But again, that can all have cargo added randomly in minutes with mcoca's tool. Without that tool, it would take.... hours. Many many many hours. I know, I did it before mcoca made his program.

If lurker_hlb3 or someone else more facile with the code gives me a hand, I'll bang out such a set of layers for you. I might even be able to sus it out myself.

tater

SteamWake
06-01-07, 10:31 PM
Look at a mod called "Die Slowely" it addresses quite a few of these issues.

nattydread
06-03-07, 06:23 PM
No question they left it out. Look at the campaign layers, the convoys are carbon copies, and every single lone merchant occurance is identical (GENERIC freighter, default cargo inside and out, with a 25% chance of a second ship with it. All of them.

But again, that can all have cargo added randomly in minutes with mcoca's tool. Without that tool, it would take.... hours. Many many many hours. I know, I did it before mcoca made his program.

If lurker_hlb3 or someone else more facile with the code gives me a hand, I'll bang out such a set of layers for you. I might even be able to sus it out myself.

tater

Will the random load outs also mean the possibility of a freighter or trooptransport/ocean liner carrying fuel/oil as if it was a tanker? That would be an annoying side-effect if it did...but perhaps one I can live with if I know in advance.