PDA

View Full Version : If you have a problem after reinstallation.....

Soundman
05-31-07, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to pass along some info that may/will be usefull. I was having some frame rate issues after some reconfiguring and decided to reinstall. Afterwards, the game would crash at the very end of the load screen (the red meter) with a message saying something like "SH4 has stopped working and will now close". Well I tried (almost) everything under the sun, installing again, deleting registy entries, defraging, etc...and finally contacting Ubi support, which did not help because they started by telling me to check drivers, shut down all processes and crap like that. I knew none of those were the problem and then read a post here that someone with a similar problem remedied thier reinstallation by simply editing the executable file (shortcut) to "run as administrator".
BINGO! It was that simple! The reason I'm repeating it is, this info was in a thread that may be difficult to find in a search and could have saved me a lot of time and frustration. I surely hope it helps someone.

Moral of the story.......You will probably find a better support for your fixes here, than going to Ubi. Thank you Subsim! BTW, my frame rates are now back to where they should be.

AVGWarhawk
05-31-07, 03:11 PM
This game for reinstallition is just as strange as SH3. Once I had to install the game by using the repair function that you can select when uninstalling the game. Then I had to do it again but used the modify function....then it installed.:roll:

Redwine
05-31-07, 04:16 PM
and finally contacting Ubi support, which did not help because they started by telling me to check drivers, shut down all processes and crap like that.

Where i seen that film ?? :rotfl::rotfl:

A knowed history...

Many thanks for the "trick", no problems up to date, but i will store it into a text file for the future...

:up::up::up:

Capt. Shark Bait
05-31-07, 04:33 PM
This game for reinstallition is just as strange as SH3. Once I had to install the game by using the repair function that you can select when uninstalling the game. Then I had to do it again but used the modify function....then it installed.:roll:

i tried that once and the option wasn't there:-?

Soundman, exactly what line was edited? i'm getting "not responding" again when loading a save

Soundman
06-01-07, 11:37 AM
I don't believe your save problem is going to be fixed by this, but I wasn't speaking of editing any config files. What I was talking about was changing the game icon (or SH4.exe) to run as administrator. If you right click on the icon, a menu should appear allowing selection of that option.

-Pv-
06-01-07, 05:23 PM
This sounds more like the kind of problem you might have if your login user does not have full administrator rights which you should correct so you don't have to "run as" every time. There is also a possibility that if the OS reports you have full admin rights, then your user might be corrupted. There are instructions on the MS site on how to repair a corrupted user.
-Pv-

Soundman
06-04-07, 01:34 PM
I agree, it sounds as you described, but when this happened to me, I did not have any user accounts set up, I was the only one using the computer and only had an administrator account set up, so I'm not sure what is going on there, but I'm apparently not the first or only one experincing this.

-Pv-
06-04-07, 04:00 PM
There are problems using the computer as administrator only. You should create a non admin user with admin privilages. Use the admin only for admin stuff (fixing the computer in safe mode, adding-deleting users, etc.) This also gives you a fall back when your normal user account gets damaged.
-Pv-

Powerthighs
06-04-07, 04:50 PM
This sounds more like the kind of problem you might have if your login user does not have full administrator rights which you should correct so you don't have to "run as" every time. There is also a possibility that if the OS reports you have full admin rights, then your user might be corrupted. There are instructions on the MS site on how to repair a corrupted user.
-Pv-

Note that on Vista, an account that is part of the Administrators group is NOT the same thing as the built-in account called "Administrator" as far as security is concerned. It still has far less priveleges and you will occasionally get prompted when you try to do certain things. This is true unless you manually disable User Account Control on the machine. This is a change from XP.

So you should set the shortcut to "Run as Administrator" if you are running from an account that is named anything other than "Administrator" if you want the game to have full privileges.

I haven't seen these problems, however, on Vista when running in my normal account at the default level.

Major Johnson
06-04-07, 06:23 PM
I feel your pain and I have done the reinstall routine a couple a times only to still have problems. Check out this link;
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=116070

It's simple tip that I think can be a work around for most of the CTDs that people are experiencing. I've posted this in a couple a threads now I know, but I really think it's a good idea! :yep: