PDA

View Full Version : torpedo 2 weak?

anubizz
05-31-07, 07:09 AM
i try 2 sink 2 large merchant ship in convoy with 3 torpedo each cause i know 2 will do nothing, the first ship get hit by 3 torpedo 1 in the back 1 in mid and 1 in the tip using the spread angle the ship badly hurt it lean forward like sub try 2 dive. i expected the ship to sink, i fast forward abit to see it sunk and it dont it still hangout with other ship doing 6knot.

Do i need 4 torpedo to sink one? with 3 torpedo i cut battleship in half in sh3.
or do i need something difference?

sory about my english.

McBeck
05-31-07, 07:19 AM
What do you aim for?

Do you use magnetic detonators to break the back of the ship?

ReallyDedPoet
05-31-07, 07:31 AM
You could always use the 25% More Powerful Torpedo Mod :yep:

RDP

SirMoric
05-31-07, 07:31 AM
If you use magnetic detonators and try to break the back of a ship, you need to set the torpedoes 1-3 feet below the keel. Even then this may not do the trick early in the war due to faulty magnetic devices and malfuntioning depthkeeping machanisms that made the torpedoes run deep, on the Mk XIV at least.
Another problem with the magnetic device was it's ability to explode prematurely and thereby not even damaging the ship.

If you only put holes in the side of a ship, it, depending on the type of cargo and damage, may have no problem staying afloat. Who knows, it may carry lifewests for sailors.

Just remember, that even with only two freigthers sunk you'll probably get home with more tonnage than must submarines during the war.

Oh, and I usually use 3-4 torpedoes on freigthers depending on their size. Makes up for faulty torpedoes and targetting.

McBeck
05-31-07, 07:54 AM
I try to disable the forward motion be either hitting close to the rudder or the enginerooms (Under the funnel). When the ship then is forced to stop and thus unprotected I sink it with the deckgun.

anubizz
05-31-07, 08:16 AM
hmm i just use the defaut detnate on impact option.
i try the 50% damage mod and i love it. i prefer not to use mod .but 4 torpedo on merchant is insane. i dont thing merchant ship in rl will survive 2 torpy.

oh btw i love the destroyer ai in sh4 they search randomly for sub not like sh3 which just go strait till someone get hit, just sink the des and deck gun the rest of the convoy.

tater
05-31-07, 08:18 AM
One of the reasons the USN continued to tell its skippers to use the magnetic exploder even after they (BuOrd) admitted the torpedos were running deep was that the shortage of torpedos in general in mid 1942, combined with the weak ~500lb (TNT) warhead meant that to use contact fusing would require 2-3 hits to guarantee a sinking for a merchant vs 1 hit, maybe 2 with a magnetic exploder. They were operating under the assumption that the earlier failures were not due to the magnetic exploders not working (as most all the skippers thought), but that the deep running had resulted in the exploder not going off. Anyway, because they had a shortage of torps, they felt if all the boats shot spreads set to contact, they'd run out of torpedos in no time, and production hadn't ramped up yet.

It's telling though that the USN thought 2-3 hits would be required to sink a merchant ship.

For a video gamer, two may be too many, but the USN in 1942 thought otherwise.

SteamWake
05-31-07, 09:12 AM
hmm i just use the defaut detnate on impact option.
i try the 50% damage mod and i love it. i prefer not to use mod .but 4 torpedo on merchant is insane. i dont thing merchant ship in rl will survive 2 torpy.

oh btw i love the destroyer ai in sh4 they search randomly for sub not like sh3 which just go strait till someone get hit, just sink the des and deck gun the rest of the convoy.

You might also want to check the "die slowly" mod where damage calculations for merchant and other ships has been tweaked.

edit(Removed comment about spelling)