PDA

View Full Version : Run Silent Run Deep

macky
05-30-07, 12:42 PM
Finaly got to watch this on film 4 after missing it sooo many times when I either looked and it was halfway through or ending.

Anyhow, found it quite fascinating.

One thing tho, they practised and practised to get the sub down to periscope depth to to 37s (or about that) and he wanted it down to 33s.

Now I know it takes a lot longer than that in the game, but I wondered, does the game allow for experience of the crew and eventually get the dive time down?

ReallyDedPoet
05-30-07, 12:45 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115784&highlight=experience+crew

Check this thread out :roll:

RDP

macky
05-30-07, 12:50 PM
hmm...not sure what that post refers to...but its changing the experience of crew members...but that wasn't my question.

My question was does the boat dive faster with a more experienced crew and is 33s achievable?

orangenee
05-30-07, 12:58 PM
It depends on the type of sub you're using more than anything, the one in Run Silent, Run Deep was an older S-class (correct me if I'm wrong), and they dive like dolphins anyway. So you could have the best crew in the world and you'd still take ages to get underwater in a Balao.

Canonicus
05-30-07, 01:08 PM
Nope...USS Nerka, Cmdr. P.J. Richardson.... was a Gato.

orangenee
05-30-07, 01:14 PM
I stand corrected, it didn't look like one though, it looked a lot smaller. Well anyway I don't know for sure that it would be possible in game, then again I've not timed how long it normally takes. The first boat (the one he lost) the captain was in was an S-class wasn't it?

AVGWarhawk
05-30-07, 01:18 PM
Best time to scope depth for me was 45 seconds. Patrol number 5 in the USS drum. Calm seas, hit crash dive. Yes, I do believe the crew gets better as you progress. At battle station apparently helps also.

Nightmare
05-30-07, 01:58 PM
Nope...USS Nerka, Cmdr. P.J. Richardson.... was a Gato.
In the movie the USS Nerka was supposed to be a Gato, however they used a Balao for filming the movie.

The book starts with the characters in an S class boat while training. Richardson then moves on to command the USS Walrus which was a Gato followed by the USS Eel (Balao).

SteamWake
05-30-07, 02:00 PM
It also seems to depend on how long ago you had previously dived.

The less time elepsed between dives the faster the dive (shrug).

I assume thats because the tanks still have some water in them (virtually speaking of course).

daft
05-30-07, 02:06 PM
It also seems to depend on how long ago you had previously dived.

The less time elepsed between dives the faster the dive (shrug).

I assume thats because the tanks still have some water in them (virtually speaking of course).

I've noticed that too. I usually perform trim dives while enroute to my patrol area just to keep diving times down.

donut
05-30-07, 02:18 PM
Gato: set daylite depth to 32 ft,turn on Radar,to watch for A/C. Run decks awarsh,
Dive time to PD quite fast,aprox.25 sec. Remember to retract scope,or might still be spoted.:lol:

ReallyDedPoet
05-30-07, 03:39 PM
hmm...not sure what that post refers to...but its changing the experience of crew members...but that wasn't my question.

My question was does the boat dive faster with a more experienced crew and is 33s achievable?

The post referred to that :roll:, that with experience the boat should perform better, similar to SH3 that way.

RDP

macky
05-31-07, 03:27 AM
@RDP: Does it? I only saw it talking about improving experience through changing a config file. I must be blind cos I still cant see it :oops:

Good answers tho, but I guess I;ll have to try it out with some test dives