PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Eastern Solomans

JALU3
05-29-07, 02:41 AM
So There I was North of Guadalcanal on 24AUG42 and I followed the plots found online for ryujo group (http://http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/USN-CN-ESols/maps/USN-CN-ESolomons-1.jpg). . . and what did I find?

You guessed it . . . empty sea. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

LukeFF
05-29-07, 03:05 AM
The stock campaign files need a lot of work to get them more closer to the historical reality. It'll all happen in due time, just like with SH3.

rodan54
05-29-07, 03:09 AM
You found empty sea because that particular battle isn't modeled in the campaign (yet). Only a few of the "major" battles are actually modeled, such as Midway, Coral Sea, Leyte, etc. But not to worry, the other engagements will definitely make an apperance.

JALU3
05-29-07, 03:29 AM
They should be though . . . the entire guadalcanal campaign is pretty historically important . . . even after pearl harbor . . . if the Japanese were able to hold the Solomans, and advance further south . . . they would have cut off Australia . . . and made then made a drive for New Zealand. However, this in the end would only make the Pacific part of the War last longer.

ReallyDedPoet
05-29-07, 06:59 AM
The stock campaign files need a lot of work to get them more closer to the historical reality. It'll all happen in due time, just like with SH3.

Yes give it some time, lots of potential for things like :roll: to improve.

RDP

AhhhFresh
05-29-07, 08:46 AM
Does the game model the invasion forces of August 7th? I just got the message that Operation Watchtower is about to begin, and I'm wondering whether it would be worth it to hang around and see the task forces steaming in... but if they're not in the campaign layer that would clearly be a waste of time.

tater
05-29-07, 08:58 AM
I think it's a waste of time right now, not many historical battles are in game.

What I find funny layer wise, is that they made so many convoys right from the beginning of the war (not historical), but neglected some of the really big invasion forces early in the war that would be stunning to see. There were convoys with ~30 transports in them for some of the early invasions (Java, etc) as I recall. Might have to make a new set of early war layers since those would be fun to see.

AhhhFresh
05-29-07, 09:07 AM
Damn... and I was hoping to see the landing forces and then maybe head off the cruisers and destroyers that were sent in response and ended up being the Battle of Savo Island.

I'm going to probably stick around and see though... since it would make sense that if they tell you "Hey open warzone! Everybody come over here!" there would actually be something to see. I won't hold my breath though.

SteamWake
05-29-07, 10:52 AM
and what did I find?

You guessed it . . . empty sea. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Empty sea ? Yea lots of it.