PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

Fish40
05-01-07, 06:19 PM
I finally got myself into alittle nasty weather off the Solomon Isls. Sloppy seas, mostly cloudy skies, and the sound of thunder. The only thing missing was the crewmen's foul weather gear. When do they don those, in a Hurricane? I submerged the boat in the hopes that when I resurfaced, they would be wearing their gear, but no go. Similar conditions in SH3 would arouse the need for raingear. Are the parameters for raingear different in this game?

Chock
05-01-07, 06:30 PM
I've noticed that too, although I could swear I did see the crew wearing waterproofs once in SH4, maybe it was pre the patch, I can't be certain.

I can only assume that the lack of rain gear in SH4 simulates the men in the US Navy being a tougher breed than those in the Kreigsmarine, as they are not bothered about getting wet, which may explain why the Germans lost the war. Or erm... not.

Dirt
05-01-07, 07:47 PM
I ran into this yesterday. Surfaced in a bad storm, with heavy rain. The officer of the deck had on rain gear, but the two lookouts didn't. Must have been hot in the boat or the captain had the sub on water rations and they needed a shower.

Go4It
05-01-07, 08:15 PM
I have several pics of my crew wearing rain gear in bad weather, to bad I have no place to post them.....

mookiemookie
05-01-07, 08:18 PM
I ran into a rainstorm while playing last night, and the entire watch crew had their rainjackets on.

Odd.

Fearless
05-01-07, 09:14 PM
They will only wear wet weather gear when it actually rains.

sunvalleyslim
05-01-07, 11:16 PM

That's the only time I'd wear it too !!!!! :lol:

Fish40
05-02-07, 04:28 PM
If that's true about the crew wearing raingear only during an actual rain event, that would explain why my guys weren't wearing theirs. There was no actual rain falling.

Fearless
05-02-07, 05:22 PM

That's the only time I'd wear it too !!!!! :lol:

Unless u wanna get soaked :lol:

Fish40
05-02-07, 05:35 PM
The thing that made me wonder, is that in SH3, the wind speed if I'm not mistaken determined if the crew wore raingear, regardless if it was actually raining or not. I guess it's different in SH4.

vindex
05-03-07, 03:28 AM
It started raining and I noticed my watch all had raincoats on. Saved and reloaded later, still raining but no raincoats. This particular oddity is strikingly similar to the bow planes issue. Save while submerged, when it loads it doesn't know how to set the bow planes properly. Save while raining, when it loads it doesn't know how to dress the watch properly. It's like the trigger (dive -> deploy bow planes; starts raining -> put on raincoats) is missing when you load an existing condition.

Fish40
05-03-07, 04:34 PM
That sounds like the problem that SH3 has. You could save a game during rain, with your crew in raingear, but when you reload the save, the rain is still happening, but the crew is without the raingear. You need to drag them inside, then repost them so they will be wearing the raingear again.

panthercules
05-19-07, 04:32 PM
That sounds like the problem that SH3 has. You could save a game during rain, with your crew in raingear, but when you reload the save, the rain is still happening, but the crew is without the raingear. You need to drag them inside, then repost them so they will be wearing the raingear again.

Seems to be worse than the problem SH3 had though - just ran into this myself - last night the guys had their rain gear on, then I saved and fired it up again today - no rain gear. I tried dragging the watch guys into the damage control and back - no rain gear. I tried diving, ran all night, surfaced after dawn - still raining, but no rain gear. Tried Battle Stations - no rain gear. I'm waiting for a shift/watch change - hoping maybe the next guys will have a little more sense and be wearing their rain gear when they come on watch. With 15m/s winds and driving rain in mid December near Formosa, it just doesn't seem right to see these guys up there in their shirtsleeves. :nope:

NefariousKoel
05-19-07, 04:46 PM
I've seen all my watch crew but the one closest to me on the bridge wearing rain gear in a huge downpour. I guess he was the stubborn one.:lol:

panthercules
05-19-07, 05:40 PM
Aha - never mind - it is a different same problem as we had in SH3 - I noticed when I asked for a weather report that, although the graphic shows it raining heavily, the NA is reporting no precipitation - so, the game doesn't think it's raining (although it's displaying the rain graphic) and therefore doesn't think the watch crew need their rain gear. I used to see this fairly often in SH3.

On a related point, I guess that maybe the American subs ride higher than the German U-boats did, so even at these wind speeds you don't get the waves crashing over the crew on the US boats like you did in the U-boats, which may explain why the SH4 crew only dons their gear when the game thinks it's raining, and not in high winds like in SH3.

-Pv-
05-21-07, 01:18 AM
The rain gear is a little hit and miss. Some 3D characters don't get updated immediately while on the surface.
When this happens I dive just to the point where the crew is forced off the deck and then surface. This forces the crew to update their textures. This has fixed them not wearing raincoats for me twice. If it's still raining when the next watch crew cycles, they will probably all be wearing the coats.

More often than not though, I've seen my crew with the gear on when it's actually raining.
-Pv-

NefariousKoel
05-21-07, 02:20 AM
Time to lecture the crew on wearing 'Jimmy Hats'. :yep:

EAF274 Johan
05-21-07, 04:43 AM
Could the trigger for bad weather gear be missing if you are using a mod that alters the "storm conditions" (e.g. for using deck gun)?

AhhhFresh
05-21-07, 11:31 AM
I've never noticed any problems with it... but then I wasn't expecting them to be wearing rain gear when the wind picks up.

From my last patrol:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1260/weatherturnsbadxu3.png

Fish40
05-21-07, 12:06 PM
Nice screenie! I noticed something there, that I have also been seeing during cloudy weather. You could still see stars! Is this wierd or what? It kinda kills it when you're haveing cloudy, overcast conditions, and yet you could still see stars as though it was a clear night.

EAF274 Johan
05-21-07, 12:09 PM
I've never noticed any problems with it... but then I wasn't expecting them to be wearing rain gear when the wind picks up.
That's good to know. Thanks

codmander
05-21-07, 12:53 PM
The thing that made me wonder, is that in SH3, the wind speed if I'm not mistaken determined if the crew wore raingear, regardless if it was actually raining or not. I guess it's different in SH4.

believe me when i say 15 meters per hour you'll wear rain gear and even on nice days between dec and april rubber is a must or you'll frezze em off:hmm:

Fish40
05-21-07, 03:23 PM
believe me when i say 15 meters per hour you'll wear rain gear and even on nice days between dec and april rubber is a must or you'll frezze em off:hmm:

I hear you man. I spend alot of time on the water, offshore fishing. I've been in some pretty uncomfortable stuff!

panthercules
05-21-07, 10:43 PM

LOL - 15 meters per hour? I think my guys would be doffing their shirts and breaking out the sun tan lotion and hoping for a any hint of a breeze if the wind was going that slow ;)

LZBTD
05-22-07, 03:38 PM
:sunny: believe me when i say 15 meters per hour you'll wear rain gear and even on nice days between dec and april rubber is a must or you'll frezze em off:hmm:

LOL - 15 meters per hour? I think my guys would be doffing their shirts and breaking out the sun tan lotion and hoping for a any hint of a breeze if the wind was going that slow ;)

Yep 15 m/s is approx 29 kts, which equates to a nice Storm 10, no problem at 50 plus meters, but one helluva bitch in a rowing boat.:sunny: