PDA

View Full Version : Help on Graphics

kentvilla
05-01-07, 05:03 PM
I have noyiced on the the specs of SH4 that it conly be played on certain graphics cards. I have a Toshiba Equium Laptop that does not have one of the stated graphics card. Hence SH4 wont run. Is there any way round this??.

I have tried lowering the screen resoloution in the settings menu. the game runs until i want to change screen shots I,e from contol room to conning tower view then it stops working. Can anyone Help me solve this problem.:damn:

gg5056
05-01-07, 05:21 PM
on the silent hunter 4 box it will not on laptops. you need to get a desktop
computer. i just brought a geforce 7900gs apg. it work great. on my pent 4ht
3.gb cpu, 2gb ddr2 ram.

Zantham
05-01-07, 05:27 PM
SH4 will run on laptops, its just not officially supported, in other words if you have problems they likely wont help you. That being said...you still have to have a fast enough video card on a laptop to run the game, and many laptops dont have a fast enough video card. I run SH4 on a laptop with zero crashes and zero issues. Then again...I paid a LOT of money for this laptop.

Best if you post here what video card your laptop has so we have an idea whether it runs or not. However, if the video is not enough to support the game....there is very little you can do about it because you cant just change the video card in a laptop like you can in a desktop.

Bozzaroo
05-01-07, 06:16 PM
I have it running on my work laptop, a DELL D820 which came with a Nvidia Quadro NVS 120m (512mb) and it runs fine, but I find myself not using the external views much when playing on the laptop as the grafix can't compare with the home PC.

Chock
05-01-07, 06:18 PM
The same thing happens on my laptop with SH4 (I tried it out on there just out of curiousity).

I think you'll find that it's the fact your laptop graphics (and mine) don't support pixel shader 2.0 that is the problem, which is a bummer, as there is not much you can do about that. So I guess you're stuck with the choice of either getting a laptop that does support 2.0 pixel shader graphics, or using SH4 on a desktop that supports it, which is what I do.

You'll probably find that SH3 with the Grey Wolves add-on mod will run fine on your laptop, as will Dangerous Waters, so if you are desperate for some sub action on your laptop, try those.

Von Manteuffel
05-02-07, 11:16 AM
I think at all depends on the laptop and, of course, the graphics card within. I'm running SH4 v. 1.02 virtually maxed out on a laptop, but it's on a Dell XPS M1710, upgraded with an nVidia Geforce 7950 ( 512mb), 2Gb of RAM etc. The screen runs at 1900 x 1200 native! The laptop industry seems to be splitting into ultra-lightweight business machines and units which are virtually desk-top replacements. I think in a couple of years, the old box and screen will be a thing of the past. The Dell is almost as powerful and good as my desk-top set-up.

GnarPow
05-02-07, 11:36 AM
If you didnt spend over $1500 for your laptop you probably cant run it... Gaming laptops are not cheap and the cheapest ones i've found are in the $1500 range.

What graphics card do you have???

kentvilla
05-02-07, 12:55 PM
Vista Home Premium pre-installed
Intel Core 2 Duo T5200 Processor 1.60GHz
533MHz FSB
2MB Cache
1024MB DDR2 RAM
80GB Hard Drive
DVD Rewriter MultiDrive
15.4" Widecsreen Display
Genuine MS Windows Vista Premium
224MB Intel 945 GM Graphics

Zantham
05-02-07, 05:16 PM
Here is a list of some games tested for compatibility for your Intel 945.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021400.htm

You will find Silent Hunter 3 in this list, and it shows it is not compatible (slow framerate issues). If SH3 is not compatible, then its pretty safe to say SH4 is not compatible.