PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Submarines - ???

csargemg
04-29-07, 08:02 PM
Upgrading Submarine -

How does one upgrade their boat during the Career mode? I started out with a Porpoise class, but I'd love to upgrade to a Tambor. Is this possible? Thanks.

zylark
04-29-07, 08:09 PM
I don't know if you can choose a new sub as such. But if you do well, you will be offered a new sub as it becomes historically available.

Also if you really mangle up your sub, and manage to crawl back to base, your current sub goes to the scrap-heap and you are issued a new one. Usually of a older class. I got a few holes on a Gato sub in an earlier career, got a pat on the shoulder for all the tonnage I sunk and getting back alive (sans some deck crew, this was during v1.1), and a new P class sub. Yeah, thanx ComSubPac... :p

loreed
04-29-07, 08:47 PM
Except for beginning a career, the only way you can get a new sub is if its offered to you. COmplete your missions and sink ships and you will be offered an up grade. THat is what has happened for me so far started with p boat, got a Gato in 42 and a Balao in 43. They were offered at the end of a patrol, after docking.

Fearless
04-29-07, 08:51 PM
Also depends where you are stationed and what time of year it is.

Cap'n Crabs
04-29-07, 10:39 PM
I've experienced what loreed said. As I performed well on my outings, eventually, they congratulate me and offer me a new boat or I can stay with my old boat.

SteamWake
04-29-07, 10:43 PM
Answer is simple really...

Have a good patrol... you will be offered the command of a "new ship".

Quillan
04-30-07, 10:16 AM
I think it's a little more involved than that. Each port has dates when new boats become available. If you put into port after a good patrol, and it's right when a new boat becomes available, you'll be offered the chance to upgrade. It's a blind chance; you have no idea what type of boat you're being offered, nor will they tell you how much renown it'll cost to accept. But if you accept, you get a new boat.

Word of advice: if you're based in Pearl Harbor, do not accept an upgrade between Jan 1942 and the end of May 1942. There's supposed to be a conflict in the files where you can get offered a Gato there as early as April, but the game thinks the Gato isn't available until June, so when you return to port you get retired "along with the class".

Nightmare
04-30-07, 05:15 PM
Anybody know how the bridge upgrades work? My first career after my first patrol, in 1943 the bridge was cut down on my Gato class to allow a forward AA gun (the ship also got a different paint job besides the usual black). However after reinstalling the game for 1.2 and starting new career, I just left for my 2nd patrol with no bridge upgrade. Did they tweak this in the patch or it a random thing?