PDA

View Full Version : Improved FPS

kakemann
04-28-07, 08:19 AM
Hi!

One question!

Do anyone know what I should upgrade to improve my FPS?
And would someone post their FPS results when running fraps?

My system is as follows...

AMD X2 4200 dual core, 2 GB RAM (a bit old ram PC3200 if i remember correct)
. XFX 7800GTX geforce card 256MB... And Windows XP (Vista) I have both operating systems but the game crashed when running on Vista.

My current FPS is as follows:

In main menu: 710 - 780fps
In command rom 65 - 70fps
In free camera mode: 30 - 40fps
In navigation menu at 5120X timecompression: 1-4fps when near harbours or big convoys. If not about 8fps

What can help to increase the values?

Thanks

Kant Schwimm
04-28-07, 08:25 AM
Dosnt look like you need much tweaking to be honest mate, alot of people would be over the moon with them framerates, are you running at max settings?:hmm:

kakemann
04-28-07, 08:26 AM
yup!

I thought they were kinda low framerates

Kant Schwimm
04-28-07, 08:32 AM
Then with the rig you've got (which is very decent) I would be very happy with the fps your getting :up:

I've got dual 6600's 2gig ram and 7950 1gig vid memory, and i cant run at full settings without getting the stutters, though I put mine down to my vista:damn: beta graphics driver.

TheBrauerHour
04-28-07, 08:39 AM
I had a P4 3.2 Ghz with 1 GB DDR2 RAM and a 7600GS video card with 256 meg. I had alot of stutters and upgraded to 3 GB of DDR2 Ram and have a much better experience. The only time I have any issue is when I am above 1024 time compression and stumble on one of those HUGE convoys. It lags for a split second. I think of it as my early warning device and am ready to order periscope depth, lol.

Is your video card PCI-E or AGP? Perhaps that could be it too?

kakemann
04-28-07, 08:46 AM
My card is PCI-E!

Do you know what you fps are TheBrauerHour?

Thanks for all your help, guys!

TDK1044
04-28-07, 08:50 AM
Those are very good frame rates for this game. Disabling volumeric fog and the event camera will always increase fps.

kakemann
04-28-07, 08:52 AM
I'll try diabling th fog thing! Just to check. :D

Weigh-Man
04-28-07, 08:54 AM
Hi!

One question!

Do anyone know what I should upgrade to improve my FPS?
And would someone post their FPS results when running fraps?

My system is as follows...

AMD X2 4200 dual core, 2 GB RAM (a bit old ram PC3200 if i remember correct)
. XFX 7800GTX geforce card 256MB... And Windows XP (Vista) I have both operating systems but the game crashed when running on Vista.

My current FPS is as follows:

In main menu: 710 - 780fps
In command rom 65 - 70fps
In free camera mode: 30 - 40fps
In navigation menu at 5120X timecompression: 1-4fps when near harbours or big convoys. If not about 8fps

What can help to increase the values?

Thanks

That looks fine to me, I get 15-20 fps on external view with half the effects settings disabled

P4 3.2HT, 2gb Ram, Nvidia 7800GSOC AGP

kakemann
04-28-07, 08:55 AM
Hmmm..

Ok, so I guess I should be satisfied then!

Thanks again for answering my post!

Happy hunting :rock:

Fercyful
04-28-07, 10:05 AM
CPU is VERY important at certain parts of the game...

example:

with my ex CPU AMD Sempron 2800 at "pearl port" start campaign I get 9-12 FPS :down:

now with core 2 duo e6600 I get 24-30 FPS same situation and using the same EVGA 7800GS CO AGP card... (very happy with that :rock:)

that part of the game have to move lots of units (also at convoys) so the CPU is very important...

:arrgh!:

U-Bones
04-28-07, 10:10 AM
Hmmm..

Ok, so I guess I should be satisfied then!

Thanks again for answering my post!

Happy hunting :rock:
I would say yes. For reference, I have the same CPU/Ram and a 7600 GT 256 DDR3 card and I get 30-40 on bridge also, but with fog off. (25ish with fog)

Redwine
04-28-07, 11:15 AM
I cn remember Flanker 2.0 and 2.5, the game limited the FPS to 30. Nothing beyond 30 is needed, so the game save resources doing it.

Set you particles at maz, and watch a battleship exploding, if your FPS dont droops under 30 you are sure you can play the game fine.

To improve the FPS you may do some things.

Unistall game, defrag disk, install game over a fresh defrged disk.

Reduce AA and AF into drivers control panel. Set them to "best performance" instead "quality"

Close all non wanted programs loaded at INI, use the msconfig.exe for it.

Run the game closing all background programs, use End It All 2.

Have not unnecesary task running into the background, use Security Task Manager.

Close all antivirus, antispyware, or similar security programs when runs the game, BE SURE YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET TO DO IT.

Run some memory control program... like in example Hare or similar.

And too much important :

DO NOT USE an onboard sound card, buy a PCI one with Hardware Acceleration, if posible, with its own built in memory, onboard sound cards "EATS" your resources.

May be this can help you .... :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-28-07, 11:22 AM
Can you lend me some of your FPS? You got plenty to spare;)

I run from 15 up to 65 FPS. My system nowhere near what you have:oops:

CaptainHaplo
04-28-07, 05:39 PM
Astounding - how are you guys even getting a framerate count? is there an exe switch that enables it?

I know I get a bit of lag when an explosion or something happens = but considering I am way BELOW specs for cpu and ram I cant say I am suprised. Other than occasional lag when something goes boom, or when I near a large convoy in map mode. Considering this is on a XP1800 from amd (1.5 GHZ) with 756 Megs of ram - I am floored you guys see any issues. Maybe I am just conditioned to not notice a slight slowdown - only the occasional pause when high graphics calls are made.

One thing that helps as above is taking out extra apps and processes. Tweak your OS as much as possible and all your games will appreciate it. As for the soundcard suggestion - I have a SB Live and converted to my onboard sound because SH3 did NOT like the SB Live for some reason. May have to convert back with SH4 - although SH3 is still on my drive.

Good Hunting!
Captain Haplo

tycho102
04-28-07, 06:12 PM
Astounding - how are you guys even getting a framerate count?

Control-F8 or FRAPS.
Control-F11 for screenshots.

SteamWake
04-28-07, 07:16 PM
Hi!

Thanks

Uhhh 5120 near harbors ?... :hmm:

gonzlor
04-28-07, 07:22 PM
Here's my rig

AMD 3700+ 64bit
1.5gb of RAM
Geforce 7600 512mb PCI-E

If you're running Vista almost EVERY game will run slower at the moment (at least for me it does), with nVidia drivers for sure , not sure about ATi.

I get about 50-75fps in World of Warcraft in XP, about 20-30 in Vista.
Decent performance in SH4 in XP (about 25-35FPS in most views) , closer to 10-20 in Vista.

Theatre of war ran at 30+fps , smooth in XP , about 10 fps in Vista.

*edit*

Microsoft Flight Simulator X seems to run about the same, if not better in vista, no idea why.

Soviet_Warlord
04-28-07, 08:22 PM
Here's my rig

AMD 3700+ 64bit
1.5gb of RAM
Geforce 7600 512mb PCI-E

If you're running Vista almost EVERY game will run slower at the moment (at least for me it does), with nVidia drivers for sure , not sure about ATi.

I get about 50-75fps in World of Warcraft in XP, about 20-30 in Vista.
Decent performance in SH4 in XP (about 25-35FPS in most views) , closer to 10-20 in Vista.

Theatre of war ran at 30+fps , smooth in XP , about 10 fps in Vista.

*edit*

Microsoft Flight Simulator X seems to run about the same, if not better in vista, no idea why.
All my games run just as fast in Vista as in XP. Whenever a 3D application is started, Vista unloads all the flashy Aero effects, so no slowdown should be expected at all. Only bad video drivers are to blame.