PDA

View Full Version : Mod rating? Must have mods?

epaga
04-27-07, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
Being a total noob to the whole scene, I must admit, it's pretty overwhelming looking at that whopping list of mods in the sticky thread. I can't help wondering if some sort of database wouldn't help where mods could be categorized and rated.

For example, I'd love a few mods to make the Destroyer AI a bit tougher, add some nice little tools to the map, and add other little realism tidbits. I'm sure some of those mods do exactly that. But it seems it'd take quite a while to work and try through that list.

So I guess I have two questions:

1) Have you all thought about having a mod database with categories / tags and a rating system? Is it just too much work to do or is there a different reason you're working with a sticky thread which needs to be maintained all the time?

2) Working with what we have, what are a few mods for SH4 you'd say are arguably "must have" when looking for a more realistic, immersive, and slightly tougher experience?

Edit
Whoops, I just noticed this probably belongs in the mod forum. Sorry...please relocate as necessary. :oops:

VonBlade
04-27-07, 11:09 AM
Must haves. Hmm. Personally :

FlavoredToTaste 2.3.
OaksHudGauges.
Pull Down Pacific Map.
Balao Hi-Res 1.1
Sky Environment Option 4.

I also run Improved Ammo Mod and Torpedo Damage 1.5x. But that's just me.
VB

SteamWake
04-27-07, 12:12 PM
Patch 1.2 :up:

Everything else is enhancements.

Only mods I run is the green button mod, limited radio contacts, and bearing tool.

Scoochy
04-27-07, 12:23 PM
I'm a smoker, so decent smoke means alot to me :yep:
Hence, why I slowed it down. Smoke Mod V3 is a must for me, on the eye candy side that is.

Quillan
04-27-07, 12:23 PM
Green button is a must have. You may also want the mod that puts the Silent Running and Battle Stations buttons in every toolbar.

Limited radio contacts is a must have also, as it will go a long way to preventing that clipboard lag that shows up.

The 3000 yard/meter bearing tool is a wondrous thing. Get it.

The others are a matter of personal likes. Those are all I run with as well, but if they get a radar fix mod I'll grab that. Real Fleet Boat or Flavored To Taste both sound really good, but I'm not grabbing them yet.

SteamWake
04-27-07, 12:38 PM
The only downside to the bearing tool is that it dramaticllly increases load times for some reason.

Ive learn to live with it. Id rather wait a few more minutes than not have it.

AirborneTD
04-27-07, 12:45 PM
The "Flavored to Taste" mod as well as his recommended mods to go with it. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

Balao and Gato Hi-res mods
Slow Smoke
Small radar contacts

Thanks to all the mod makers.
Great stuff