PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie comandos or ?

CaptainCox
04-26-07, 03:18 PM
I finally decided to start a career in 43. 1st mission, commandos drop of. Now these guys don't look very American (maybe WW I OK) but I thought this whole shebang was set in WWII...unless they are Ozzie comandos...or?
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/Comandos.jpg

Sailor Steve
04-26-07, 03:51 PM
Americans actually were wearing that style of helmet when the war started. I'm not sure when they switched.

THE_MASK
04-26-07, 03:53 PM
I finally decided to start a career in 43. 1st mission, commandos drop of. Now these guys don't look very American (maybe WW I OK) but I thought this whole shebang was set in WWII...unless they are Ozzie comandos...or?

The only Ozzie i know is Ozzie Osbourne . I think you mean Aussies as in Australians . Study this link carefully .

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Ducimus
04-26-07, 03:54 PM
Well, at the start of WW2, US marines were still wearing the old doughboy helmets. But by 43, they should be in steel pot helmets.

Sailor Steve
04-26-07, 03:59 PM

The only Ozzie i know is Ozzie Osbourne . I think you mean Aussies as in Australians . Study this link carefully .

It may not be correct, but if Oz is Australia it's to be expected that someone is going to use Ozzie for Aussie. I've heard it before.

immortal44
04-26-07, 04:23 PM

Most aussies wouldn't understand half of that. Ozzie is fine, plenty of aussies use it.

U-Bones
04-26-07, 05:28 PM

Most aussies wouldn't understand half of that. Ozzie is fine, plenty of aussies use it.

My cats are named Ozzie and Kiwi, named by the neighbors kid from New Zealand.

CaptainCox
04-26-07, 11:49 PM
Did not know about the helmets...thought they only where used pre WWII and by the POM's :p, I guess you learn something new every day.

Karl-Heinz Jaeger
04-27-07, 03:56 AM
Yup, the Doughboy style helmets were in use at the start of the war, along with M1903 Springfield rifle which was gradually being phased out since the M1 Garands inception in 1936. I've heard it said that the poor chaps captured during the early days and held in the Japanese prison camps didn't recognise the US soldiers who came to liberate them in '44-'45, since they had much different equipment, and were much better trained and organised.

Egan
04-27-07, 04:24 AM
They might be British comandoes. You can set that up in the mission editor.

barracuda
04-27-07, 04:48 AM
No, british commandos used berets.

Egan
04-27-07, 05:23 AM
No, british commandos used berets.

In real life, yes. But there are only two models it can use for this: Amercian or British. Those are the only available options when creating the mission objectives.

Beery
04-28-07, 02:32 AM
They look like British Commandos to me - the puttees are different and that web gear looks like P37 (British) to me, although the pack looks a bit odd.

Hey Egan, how do we tell, from looking in the patrol objectives file, the difference between an American commando team and a British/ANZAC one?

Egan
04-28-07, 06:12 AM
They look like British Commandos to me - the puttees are different and that web gear looks like P37 (British) to me, although the pack looks a bit odd.

Hey Egan, how do we tell, from looking in the patrol objectives file, the difference between an American commando team and a British/ANZAC one?

I don't know whether or not there is anything that actually tells you in game, I don't remember seeing anything.

If you go through the objective .mis files for that sort of mission you will see this section:

[Objective 1]
ObjName=xxxx_Objective1
Obj=8
ObjType=0
RenownAwarded=0
ZoneName=xxxx_zone1
SOMissType=0
CNationality=0

The last line is the nationality of the Spec-ops team. 0 for US, 1 for Brit.

Beery
04-28-07, 08:05 AM

Ah, I thought it must be that line, but all the ones in the game are set to zero, so I didn't see any way to tell the difference.

Now, since all the game's commandos are set to '0' I can't figure out how anyone could see British commandos. :doh:

CaptainCox
04-28-07, 05:34 PM
Wow, you guys are deep in to this...Kudos for clearing this up. Beery, your thoroughness always impresses me, keep it up man!

Beery
04-28-07, 07:27 PM
Wow, you guys are deep in to this...Kudos for clearing this up. Beery, your thoroughness always impresses me, keep it up man!

I'm a WW1 British army reenactor, so I know British web equipment like the back of my hand (I own a full set of original WW1 British army web gear). I'm more knowledgeable about WW1 gear, but I have dabbled in WW2 stuff as well, which is why I know the P37 equipment.

CaptainCox
04-28-07, 11:24 PM
Now that's cool. I have seen WWII reenactment stuff on the telly also Napoleonic stuff, American Civil War etc, but never WWI. Was at Verdun last summer...it is somewhat eerie...still. Ever visited some of the battlegrounds in Europe ?

Beery
04-29-07, 01:54 AM
Now that's cool. I have seen WWII reenactment stuff on the telly also Napoleonic stuff, American Civil War etc, but never WWI. Was at Verdun last summer...it is somewhat eerie...still. Ever visited some of the battlegrounds in Europe ?

Yeah, I visited Ypres - saw Hill 60 and Hellfire Corner (the place generally accepted as being the most dangerous spot on the face of the Earth in 1917 - now it's a traffic roundabout). I visited the Menin Gate and saw the bugler play Last Post there. I actually stayed at Hooge Chateau which was the site of very heavy fighting - it is now a REALLY nice hotel (http://www.hotelkasteelhofthooghe.be/) run by VERY nice people. The Cloth Hall museum at Ypres is great - they had just finished it when I visited - I reckon it has to be the best WW1 museum in existence. My grandad fought at Ypres and my great grandad and great uncle fought on the Somme, so I have a lot of family history wound up in WW1.

Hehe now you've got me planning another trip out to Belgium. I must visit Brugge again and stay longer at Hooge Chateau.

CaptainCox
04-29-07, 11:37 PM
Cool stuff. I did not visit Somme yet, actually there is an idea for a late summer trip ;). Lived in Germany now 14 years, and guess what that does for an ol WWII History fan :p Not much of that up in Sweden where I come from...if you are not in to the 30 year war and other stuff from the 16th-18th century ( I am that as well but not as much).

This summer we are going up to Laboe (maybe 7-8h drive from where i am at) to check out the U-995 type VIIC http://www.schiffbilder.de/name/einzelbild/number/339/kategorie/Museen+und+Ausstellungen~Deutschland~Laboe.html
That's one I completely missed and really looking forward to.

Egan
05-03-07, 01:53 PM
Ah, I thought it must be that line, but all the ones in the game are set to zero, so I didn't see any way to tell the difference.

Now, since all the game's commandos are set to '0' I can't figure out how anyone could see British commandos. :doh:

Possibly a single mission deal, perhaps. The one time I used A Brit Commando team it crashed when I let them loose and I didn't try again.