PDA

View Full Version : Damage control/possible answer

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 11:36 AM
I now had the sea to myself so I concentrated on repairing the damage, the damage control team repaired the bulkheads, got the pumps working, got the front 3 compartments dry, so I tried a controlled dive to periscope depth, but it started to sink again at a 45% degree angle. Took it back to the surface, then I noticed that some of the watch were shaded red, when I moved the crew around to get a healthy watch I was able to submerge without sinking.

I swiped this from the patrol story thread. I found this interesting as the sub was rammed twice and hit by cannon round, three compartments flooded. Repairs made on everything but the scopes. He noticed the sub sinking even after the repairs.(like everyone else does) Also, seen injured watch crew, replaced them with healthy crew and could go to periscope depth and not sink.

Anyone have this experience with putting healthy crew on watch and being able to submerge successfully with sinking like a rock?:hmm:

SUBMAN1
04-26-07, 11:52 AM
I now had the sea to myself so I concentrated on repairing the damage, the damage control team repaired the bulkheads, got the pumps working, got the front 3 compartments dry, so I tried a controlled dive to periscope depth, but it started to sink again at a 45% degree angle. Took it back to the surface, then I noticed that some of the watch were shaded red, when I moved the crew around to get a healthy watch I was able to submerge without sinking.
I swiped this from the patrol story thread. I found this interesting as the sub was rammed twice and hit by cannon round, three compartments flooded. Repairs made on everything but the scopes. He noticed the sub sinking even after the repairs.(like everyone else does) Also, seen injured watch crew, replaced them with healthy crew and could go to periscope depth and not sink.

Anyone have this experience with putting healthy crew on watch and being able to submerge successfully with sinking like a rock?:hmm:

Sounds like they got the buckets out and started bailing fast!

SteamWake
04-26-07, 11:56 AM
I have gotten the bulkheads repaired, the pumps working, and... the water went nowhere.

Just my observation. OH and I always make sure the watch is "fresh". Tired of getting supprised by aircraft.

Besides logically speaking what in the hell does the watch crew have to do with diving the boat ? Maybe the tired crew forgot to dog down the hatch ?

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 12:03 PM
I have gotten the bulkheads repaired, the pumps working, and... the water went nowhere.

Just my observation. OH and I always make sure the watch is "fresh". Tired of getting supprised by aircraft.

Besides logically speaking what in the hell does the watch crew have to do with diving the boat ? Maybe the tired crew forgot to dog down the hatch ?

Thats what I though also, to bloody and wiped out to close the hatch. The logic behind the damage control, one would think they thought fresh crew should be posted after much damage. The point is, he put fresh crew on the watch and could submerge without sinking like a rock.

Quillan
04-26-07, 12:41 PM
Well, in the career I lost with the 1.2 patch, one of my crew (primary deck gunner, had watch skill and gunnery promotion) developed a local ability "Increased Submerged Speed". The local ability was shown as the Watch icon. I never noticed any difference, with him either in the deck guns or in the deck watch, but why would the watch have any effect on submerged speed at all?

Galanti
04-26-07, 12:49 PM
Well, in the career I lost with the 1.2 patch, one of my crew (primary deck gunner, had watch skill and gunnery promotion) developed a local ability "Increased Submerged Speed". The local ability was shown as the Watch icon. I never noticed any difference, with him either in the deck guns or in the deck watch, but why would the watch have any effect on submerged speed at all?

Maybe "Increased Submerged Speed" is an unfortunate trait when the issue is diving with damage?

Egan
04-26-07, 01:16 PM
I had something similar last night. I had the old problem with the deckgun not repairing. I don't normally have anyone stationed at the guns but I put a couple of guys on it to find out whether it could be used at all and -hey presto - about 10 minutes later the gun was fixed. This has worked a couple of times now.

I have to agree that there seems to be something in moving fresh crew around.

darkfin
04-26-07, 01:21 PM
I had something similar last night. I had the old problem with the deckgun not repairing. I don't normally have anyone stationed at the guns but I put a couple of guys on it to find out whether it could be used at all and -hey presto - about 10 minutes later the gun was fixed. This has worked a couple of times now.

Hmm.:hmm: Maybe the station has to be manned to be repaired. Even with a damage control team. More interesting stuff being put out here.

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 01:22 PM

Very interesting. I will test next time I get whacked. I never would have thought to move fresh crew in place of crew that are in the red.

Quillan
04-26-07, 01:25 PM
Someone posted a while back that a compartment wasn't repaired when they had nobody in it, but I suppose it's possible that crewmen who are injured past a certain point count as not being there. It's something to keep an eye on.

FAdmiral
04-26-07, 01:48 PM
If you have red crew members (hurt), wouldn't they be taken to the
subs infirmary? I don't see any slots for that. Where do you put them?

JIM

U-Bones
04-26-07, 01:51 PM

Maybe not fresh so much as "more efficient". Notice how the watch related stations are ALL super low in efficiency (compared to the rest of the stations). they seem to come to life (efficiency wise) when at battle stations.

Perhaps much of the probelms we are having with damage control in these areas has to do with low efficiency ?

tater
04-26-07, 01:53 PM
Very interesting finds. While I think anything that takes crew into acccount is a feature, the problem is at a certain level the skipper shouldn't have to micro manage it, isn't that what the Chief of the Boat is for?

tater

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 02:15 PM
If you have red crew members (hurt), wouldn't they be taken to the
subs infirmary? I don't see any slots for that. Where do you put them?

JIM

I would say any open slot that is away from the damaged part you are attempting to fix. Just put a healthy crewman in his spot and vise versa for the hurt crewman.

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 02:15 PM
Very interesting finds. While I think anything that takes crew into acccount is a feature, the problem is at a certain level the skipper shouldn't have to micro manage it, isn't that what the Chief of the Boat is for?

tater
Seems we might have just changed the type of micro managment:oops: that we had in SH3

GnarPow
04-26-07, 02:25 PM
Whenever I take damage I always go to battle stations for repairs. The Green bar at the top of each compartment goes much higher when you do that so I figure it helps.

I personally havnt had the sinking problem with 1.2 at all and I've taken some heavy damage myself, but Im sure in time anything can happen.

SteamWake
04-26-07, 02:41 PM
Whenever I take damage I always go to battle stations for repairs. The Green bar at the top of each compartment goes much higher when you do that so I figure it helps.

I personally havnt had the sinking problem with 1.2 at all and I've taken some heavy damage myself, but Im sure in time anything can happen.

Hrm.. in my game flooding = death simple as that.

9th_cow
04-26-07, 07:08 PM

Hrm.. in my game flooding = death simple as that.

if im submerged then it means that for me too.
ok say im beneath the water, but manage to repair the hulls. then you would think that you wouldnt take on more water, and this seems to be the case.

so now the problem is i cant blow balast due to destroyers in the area, so i wait and wait and suddenly die.
everything just goes to max damage.

now in one example i took damage whilst surfaced, after a long battle against a cargo ship and planes it got dark enough for me to get away.
i had terrible damage (90% worse than anythning ive taken whilst submerged)
now on the surface i repaired everything i could, and the water onboard was removed. after wich i could submerge to depths of over 200feet with ease.

now on another career i got hit once more whilst submerged, slight hull damage minor flooding. and knew i was dead.
i got the hulls fixed. and tried to get away from the destroyers, as i came close to suceeding in that, bang max damage again.

is there a timer that destroys the sub if water isnt removed in a certain time ?
its not like im even being hit by a depth charge, i just go from fixing my hulls and stopping more water comming in, to being dead.

yet in the same instance if i get above the water, and avoid the destroyers wich ive done in poor weather. i fix the problems, and my subs fine.

but i dont think that any Das boot moments are possible here.
a foot of water in the bow means you die after some time unless you surface.
thats got to be a bug or poor coding surely ?

SteamWake
04-26-07, 07:57 PM
I can confirm that "manning" the deck gun will get it repaired.

Funny thing is I forgot it was damaged and they were firing away like normal. A few minutes later I got the report "deck gun repaired".

My crew rocks ! :rock:

-Pv-
04-26-07, 08:12 PM
"...I don't normally have anyone stationed at the guns but I put a couple of guys on it to find out whether it could be used at all and -hey presto - about 10 minutes later the gun was fixed. This has worked a couple of times now.

I have to agree that there seems to be something in moving fresh crew around..."

This is a known feature of the crew system. It doesn't matter how skilfull or activated your damage control team is, they are an "enhancement" of the normal crew repair system. That is: Nothing gets repaired unless there is activated crew on that portion (gun/compartment) of the sub. In addition, the dedicated repair crew will focus on the damage priority list, but will not repair anything on devices or compartments where normal shift crew are not active.

Another way to look at it is if you need a particular thing or place repaired pronto, have a high quality damage repair crew activated AND healthy, trained shift crew active where the the critical damage is. The normal crew is interested in saving their own necks in the compartment/gun AND wouldn't mind a little help.
-Pv-

Zengaze
04-26-07, 08:47 PM
Quite simply the damage control is one of the laziest and quite frankly crap, implentations within this buggy wreck, i know the devs announced they were goin for a hollywood feel, it should have been interpreted quite correctly as all show no substance. SUMS UP ANY GAME THAT ANNOUNCES ITSELF as HOLLYWOOD STYLE. Dumbasses. :nope:

FAdmiral
04-26-07, 09:19 PM
I have NEVER had a problem with damage control !!
First installation of the game files, YES, but never much
of anything else after the reinstall....

JIM

edjcox
04-26-07, 10:01 PM
Wounded crew are best used as decoys by firing them from topedoe tubes or throwing them overboard...

Have no idea where they should go to heal or who the medic is to be in the same compartment....

How do you pick up enemy airman prisoners?:huh: