PDA

View Full Version : Periscope depth/Crash dive won't work

Vecna
04-26-07, 06:00 AM
Hi everyone, first I like to say that this forum is great and many thanks goes out to the modders as i've gotten a few to improve my experience :up:

Anyway on to my problem that I find critical indeed. Im following my route surfaced when I get an alert about aircraft(s), naturally I then hit P (Periscope depth) or C (Crash dive), tried both several times now. What happens is that someone decides to pull my speed from full/standard down to all stop (using the porpoise class, not that it should matter). Im sure most of the readers already figured out that i've been blown to pieces alot of times because these aircrafts seem to engage surfaced targets 99% of the time :doh:

I'm sure it has worked more than once before. Think it did while I ran the tutorial missions and before patching the game at all, atleast P (periscope depth) has worked at some point. The advantage of crash dive is kinda crucial at times but I have been forced to manually set my depth atm and im sure you already figured out that I have been literally blown to pieces because I didn't dive fast enough. Really annoying and I was hoping anyone here might know how to fix this problem?

WhiskeyBravo
04-26-07, 06:40 AM
Are most of your crew asleep?

I had this happen once and when I looked at the crew roster almost all of them were catching Z's. Why? Because I'd left them at Battlestations for about 2 days!

Alternatively, have you any mods installed that may have changed the key assignments?

Good luck in sorting it out,

WB.

U-Bones
04-26-07, 06:48 AM
Before patch 1.2 I hit a stretch where I could not use PgUp to get my scope up. I was using a keyboard mod, which I checked and rechecked, unloaded and reloaded, reverted the commands.cfg file to the stock version - nada.

I ended up copying all the files for the 1.1 install from a backup and it worked again.

I scratched my head a bit and ended up chalking it up to a few flipped bits in a power outage.

afklt
04-26-07, 07:18 AM
I've encountered the same problem - no solution so far, however I find that once you are aware of it, its not much of problem all you have to do is manually click the commands needed. Press on the depth meter somewhere around 50 and go to flank speed.

Vecna
04-26-07, 07:36 AM
Ok this was really fast replies, thx guys. Anyway, well the manual icon for crash dive also puts my speed to all stop. I don't belive it's about the crew sleeping as it never ever works. However it can be about the mods though, too bad I didn't install them one by one and check out the game so I can say for sure that one might break the game. The odd thing though is that the crew reacts to my command, both crash dive and periscope depth and reports it but then just simply issue all stop. Maybe they want to get killed because they don't like me :huh:

I'm going to uninstall it now and put in one mod at a time.

I can post the mods I used and maybe someone can save me the trouble of putting them in one by one if there is known issues with one of them in v1.2 so here goes.

(edit: Removed a few mods as i've tested them and one of the following has to break it then I guess, don't want to check more because I want to play)
Bp silentrun all menus 1.2
Green lock and position b2
Minichrono and imperial n2
Neils night attack chr 1.2

(Using the other mods I had and P and C seems to work fine atm. Either one of those is broken OR breaks it if you use two or more together... Only conclussion I can come up with atm)

Another odd thing I encountered twice was the torpedo tutorial in v1.0, didn't seem to wanna fire at all and now right before I uninstalled the game with v1.2 modded. Worked before bedtime yesterday but not today, ended up using the cannon to sink a few ships... Hopefully things work as it should now after reinstall, even the smallest bug can make this game take a whole different turn and make things so much harder.

gg5056
04-26-07, 07:47 AM
when you on nav map. get alert of aircraft. i just go depth meter & go to 80 feet,
increase time alittle, so submerge faster. aircraft fly over & you are safe. this works on surface or at periscope depth. the aircraft spots the periscope, so you have to get deeper.

Vecna
04-26-07, 10:03 AM
This can't be happening, fresh install, updated to patch v1.2 and on the first mission where im supposed to deploy at X I wanted to take an attackship down that I meet on the way. Did all the math, went to the location and set up for the perfect shot, open tubes 1 & 2 and what happens? Well I hit the big red button to fire the torpedo but nothing happens, tried to hit enter key and nothing happens there either. I was like FU**, all those calculations for nothing :damn:. Ended up manuvering alittle to the right and jumped into the gun to blast him down that way. 20 rounds later he went bye bye. But still, not the first time I can't fire a tropedo. What is wrong here?

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 10:08 AM
This can't be happening, fresh install, updated to patch v1.2 and on the first mission where im supposed to deploy at X I wanted to take an attackship down that I meet on the way. Did all the math, went to the location and set up for the perfect shot, open tubes 1 & 2 and what happens? Well I hit the big red button to fire the torpedo but nothing happens, tried to hit enter key and nothing happens there either. I was like FU**, all those calculations for nothing :damn:. Ended up manuvering alittle to the right and jumped into the gun to blast him down that way. 20 rounds later he went bye bye. But still, not the first time I can't fire a tropedo. What is wrong here?

A few posts up, player used 1.1 and 1.2 to get the function back. Do the complete reinstall...make sure your folder found in My Documents is deleted as well. Get rid of all mods. Install game, patch to 1.1 and then 1.2. I recommend a reboot after that. Make sure to start the game with the DVD so it starts and runs correctly. See how it goes after this.

SteamWake
04-26-07, 10:11 AM
Some folks running craked / no cd versions are having the "loss of key control issues".

Not saying you are but it should be mentioned.

Check your controls.cfg file.

Quillan
04-26-07, 10:15 AM
Did you reopen tube 1? When you switch from tube 1 to tube 2, it automatically closes tube 1. If I fire from a closed tube, it usually takes about 10 seconds before I hear the torpedo leave the tube.

Vecna
04-26-07, 10:27 AM
Some folks running craked / no cd versions are having the "loss of key control issues".

What should I check for in the controls.cfg? Didn't find any controls.cfg file but I did find a commands.cfg file and it reads:

[Cmd313]
Name=Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x0D,,"Enter"

The button bounces as I press it but nothing happens.

Well I did open tube 1 & 2 and no, I didn't reopen tube 1 but still I should be able to fire it even though it should be closed. I didn't quit the game or anything and even if it should take 10 seconds I issued the command to fire the torpedo and nothing happened during the whole fight while I was gunning the ship down.

A fresh install + update solved my periscope/crash dive options anyway. Must have been one of those mods that did break when used with another or simply broken with the 1.2 patch.

SteamWake
04-26-07, 10:34 AM

What should I check for in the controls.cfg? Didn't find ant controls file but I did find a commands.cfg file and it reads:

[Cmd313]
Name=Fire_torpedo
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x0D,,"Enter"

Well I did open tube 1 & 2 and no, I didn't reopen tube 1 but still I should be able to fire it even though it should be closed. I didn't quit the game or anything and even if it should take 10 seconds I issued the command to fire the torpedo and nothing happened during the whole fight while I was gunning the ship down.

A fresh install + update solved my periscope/crash dive options anyway. Must have been one of those mods that did break when used with another or simply broken with the 1.2 patch.

Yup thats the default for fire torpedo. A few mods modify it to ctrl+enter. I know thats the first thing I modded personally. You can always click the red button on the torpedo select thing.

Yes you can fire a torpedo without opening the doors first however the chances of a miss are increased.

Vecna
04-26-07, 12:37 PM
Well, ended up doing a 2nd install applying patch 1.1 then 1.2 and everything seems to be working alright except the crash to desktop after sinking half a convoy :damn:

FAdmiral
04-26-07, 01:39 PM
I've mentioned this in a few other posts about reinstalling this game.
After uninstalling, check your registry, uninstalling does NOT remove
all the registry files of SH4. You need to delete them as well for a
total CLEAN reinstall. I say this from first-hand experience cause it
happened to me already, not exactly those bugs but some others
just as bad....

JIM

Vecna
04-26-07, 02:18 PM
Yeah I do that from time to time depending on the error I get. This was just about commands in-game though so I didn't clean my registry and random crashes happen so I ignored that one. Guess it paid off anyway. Found a convoy of 2 battle ships with 1 18.000 ton something in the middle for my 2nd assignment. 1 kill = Complete :cool:

I must admit that my first post was not really needed, I should know better and I know mods can break things. Ohh well, did some digging right after that and voila, works to my satisfaction. I do admire the fast response here though, that was really nice :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-26-07, 02:21 PM
Yeah I do that from time to time depending on the error I get. This was just about commands in-game though so I didn't clean my registry and random crashes happen so I ignored that one. Guess it paid off anyway. Found a convoy of 2 battle ships with 1 18.000 ton something in the middle for my 2nd assignment. 1 kill = Complete :cool:

I must admit that my first post was not really needed, I should know better and I know mods can break things. Ohh well, did some digging right after that and voila, works to my satisfaction. I do admire the fast response here though, that was really nice :up:
Most importantly you have it working and you're almost there. Now, with all uninstalls, deleting and banging your head on the desk, clean up the hard drive and defrag. This should ease you CTD pain. Sounds like the convoy under high demand on the old computer created that CTD. Defrag should help you on this. Sure helped me! Happy sailing Skipper:up:

Vecna
04-26-07, 03:15 PM
Only one problem, muuust sink mooore ships before I go to sleep. Defrag? That I only do when I sleep :rotfl: but I get your point.

Probex
04-26-07, 03:22 PM

EXACTLY. Just last night I tried a cracked .exe to see what problems I would be getting. Everything looked ok until I pressed P and my sub stopped, so I changed depth using the gauges. Then I got a beautiful solution on a warship, pressed Ctrl+Enter at the right moment, and............ nothing, lol I frantically clicked the torpedo Fire button with the mouse and all I got was "click, click, click, click"

After that I restored the original .exe and presto. Everything works perfectly, like it did up to that point.

I do find the inability to use the .exe really annoying because of the longer load time. I believe that since I paid for the product, I should not have the inconvenience of having to waste time waiting for it to load. I play with mods a lot so I reload the game many times, and those validation time delays REALLY add up.

USE THE UNCRACKED EXECUTABLES, and your strange bugs and CTD's will go away.

~