PDA

View Full Version : S-Class

Radtgaeb
04-25-07, 09:58 PM
Just curious....anyone else been roughing it in an old S-18 from Manila/Java/Brisbane?

I tried it out on a lark a few days ago and I'm hooked on the odd little thing. I don't know why! It's just so....rustic. :p

Anyone else like the S boats as much as I?

U-Bones
04-25-07, 10:00 PM
Just curious....anyone else been roughing it in an old S-18 from Manila/Java/Brisbane?

I tried it out on a lark a few days ago and I'm hooked on the odd little thing. I don't know why! It's just so....rustic. :p

Pretty much all I have played !
I was partial to the Type II also, so it figures...

nikimcbee
04-25-07, 10:00 PM

ME!!!:rock:

S-44, S-39

azn_132
04-25-07, 10:15 PM
Me Too!!!
S-34, S-44

Wait, S-44 is my S-42 class boat.

doggydoggo
04-25-07, 10:17 PM
I highly highly recommend the book Under Pressure: The Final Voyage of Submarine S-Five by A.J. Hill. It is part novel, part history book, part documentary, and 100% thrilling.

This is Amazon.com's description:

The captain and crew of the S-Five submarine tested their new boat's ability to "crash dive"--submerse as quickly as possible--and sank straight to the bottom of the ocean. A faulty induction valve had flooded, leaving 40 men stranded at a depth of 180 feet, about 50 miles off the coast of Cape May, New Jersey. Everything seemed to go wrong: the drive motors failed, the main lighting circuits went dead, and their oxygen began to run thin. Nobody knew their location and they had no means of calling for help. All they had was their own ingenuity and the remarkable leader Lt. Commander Savvy Cooke. The story of how they managed--just barely--to escape an underwater tomb.

It has a lot of great history and is a fantastic read. So, it's been really fun to play as an S Class, because I just wonder if, when I crash dive, my induction valve will go bad on me. :)

LukeFF
04-25-07, 10:55 PM
Yep, the Sugar Boats are a lot of fun. Until I get proficient with them I won't be starting a career in one of it's bigger brothers. :ahoy:

FAdmiral
04-25-07, 11:23 PM
I was thinking about changing my S-boat into a U-boat so I could fool the
U-571 into thinking I was German. Anyone know if that will work?

JIM

shad43
04-25-07, 11:27 PM
I was thinking about changing my S-boat into a U-boat so I could fool the
U-571 into thinking I was German. Anyone know if that will work?

JIM

:rotfl:
I actually really like that movie :D

WWSandMan
04-25-07, 11:46 PM
S-35. First patrol began on Jan. 4, 1942 to the Luzon Straight from Brisbane. Green crew. Returned to port on April 14, 1942 with fuel critically low and seven victories totaling 35,000+ tons. Awarded the Silver Star.

Next patrol after a fast refit starts April 17, 1942. Coral Sea area, hunting flat-tops. :)

Kongo Otto
04-25-07, 11:57 PM
I am playing also in a S-Class Sub. Mine is S-27 i started at Manila, had to withdraw to Soerabaja,and now iam in Freemantle.
I donīt no why,but i like them old Bastards.
I think its the same like you have a 1965 Charger or you have a 2006 model.

azn_132
04-25-07, 11:59 PM
S-35. First patrol began on Jan. 4, 1942 to the Luzon Straight from Brisbane. Green crew. Returned to port on April 14, 1942 with fuel critically low and seven victories totaling 35,000+ tons. Awarded the Silver Star.

Next patrol after a fast refit starts April 17, 1942. Coral Sea area, hunting flat-tops. :)

Hey, Im at the same month as u! but in April 22, 1942.

Payoff
04-26-07, 12:51 AM
S-Class. She may not dive deep, but she will dive fast.

jmr
04-26-07, 01:41 AM
Lovin' the S-class as it's a great way to learn and sharpen my manual plotting and targeting. don1reed gives some insight on what it was like without a TDC here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110377)

DeerHunter UK
04-26-07, 07:36 AM
Sign me up as a S-class fan. I've altered a cfg file so I can sail in 1 of the 5 S-class subs (S-1, S-21, S-22, S-24 & S-29) which the US Navy loaned to the Royal Navy. I'm sailing in S-24 (P-555) on my 2nd patrol heading towards Singapore in January '42. My 1st patrol was rather successful, I sunk an Ise class battleship!
The jolly roger was flying high upon my return to port. :arrgh!:

btaft
04-26-07, 08:16 AM
I am in my first career as a S-boat capatin (S-33). I love how it gets tossed around in the waves and that it can crash dive very quickly to avoid air cover. Also you don't have to worry about those annoying stern tubes :D

In SH3 I started my first career in a Type II as well. I think there is a lot to be said about starting off in the "trainers"......you learn a lot of the subtletees that might be compensated by one of the bigger boats by having more torpedoes to waste or extended range and speed.

One thing I have started is to look up the boat I have been given on wikpedia to read about the patrols that it accomplished. It just gives you a flavor of what sort of work they accomplished.

AhhhFresh
04-26-07, 08:24 AM
I just started a new career last night with an S-boat and completed two patrols. It is a lot of fun, though it's was hard to get used to how slow they are... end arounds are much more time consuming. I would be a real challenge to intercept a zigzagging convoy moving at anything faster than slow speed.

I like that they dive ridiculously fast though... pretty important if you don't have any AA capabilities. They also move more quickly submerged than I would have expected, which is nice. Also I love the Mark 10! All my hits do damage, small as that may be. Only 4 tubes of tiny torpedoes is pretty rough, but that makes it more exciting/tense as you set up your shot.

Anyway... yeah I dig the S-boat.

SeaSprite
04-26-07, 09:00 AM
Doing my first career in the S-boat too, for some reason they remind me of 20,000 Leagues under the sea more than any other boat.

I do wish for a Narwhal class too though :).

Matt

Crosseye76
04-26-07, 12:48 PM
Sugar Boats do have an appeal all of their own. :) As much as I do love Balao Fleet boats, there is always something fun about taking an "S" out for a patrol or two.

Galanti
04-26-07, 12:56 PM
Doing my first career in the S-boat too, for some reason they remind me of 20,000 Leagues under the sea more than any other boat.

I do wish for a Narwhal class too though :).

Matt

I was thinking that the other night...it's that funny looking tail, isn't it? Looks like the Nautilus.

The Sugar boat has given me some fond memories, true enough, but I think it's time to move on. Will miss the ability to dive as though they left the main induction open, though...

Vecna
04-26-07, 03:25 PM
Sounds fun although im using "porpoise" and im on jan 4th or 5th 1942. Now did you people grab that boat doing some editing or just doing the career alot faster than me?

Zengaze
04-26-07, 07:25 PM
My favourite boat of the lot is the s-class, sure the other boats dive deeper, sail faster and have got aft torps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But an s-class feels more "hands on" :D

Fortunately i see i'm not the only 1 who likes to rough it!

Monica Lewinsky
04-26-07, 07:34 PM
Someday soon, I am going to teach myself manual targeting with my current command - I am disappointed in myself that I cannot get it thru my thick skull. After that, then I am junking [deleting] all my patrols with current class of sub, and starting with an S-Boat. Somehow I have this unproven thought that the S-Boats are a blast of fun and want to use it as my first sub AFTER I figure out manual targeting and bring ENJOYMENT of this game to a new and unfound level.

AhhhFresh
04-27-07, 09:05 AM
Sounds fun although im using "porpoise" and im on jan 4th or 5th 1942. Now did you people grab that boat doing some editing or just doing the career alot faster than me?

You have to start in the Asiatic Fleet instead of the Pacific one from Pearl, but it's available from the start.

TripleDaddy
04-27-07, 04:36 PM
Reading this thread last night made me start a new career and I am digging the S-class. Consider me another convert. :up:

AVGWarhawk
04-27-07, 04:49 PM
S-Class...she be old school but fun clanking around the Pacific:yep:

Radtgaeb
04-28-07, 02:35 AM
Reading this thread last night made me start a new career and I am digging the S-class. Consider me another convert. :up:

Welcome aboard! Glad to see my thread doing some good! :lol:

Radtgaeb
04-28-07, 02:39 AM
A thought just hit me. Maybe a mod can be come up with for SHIV to play as one of the S-boats we gave the Poles. That would be so sick!:rock: Heck, I'd do it, but I am an idiot in the world of modding....

DeerHunter UK
04-28-07, 06:44 AM
A thought just hit me. Maybe a mod can be come up with for SHIV to play as one of the S-boats we gave the Poles. That would be so sick!:rock: Heck, I'd do it, but I am an idiot in the world of modding....
The Polish Navy only had 1 S-class, which was S-25. This sub was lent to the Royal Navy (remaned P-551) but was in turn leased to the Polish Navy and renamed Jastrzab.
More info can be found here; http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5433.html
As posted earlier, I've already started to add the leased S-class Royal Navy subs to the game. A mod would be a fantastic idea though. :yep:

Takeda Shingen
04-28-07, 06:51 AM
The Polish Navy only had 1 S-class, which was S-25. This sub was lent to the Royal Navy (remaned P-551) but was in turn leased to the Polish Navy and renamed Jastrzab.
More info can be found here; http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5433.html
As posted earlier, I've already started to add the leased S-class Royal Navy subs to the game. A mod would be a fantastic idea though. :yep:

Yes, you could call it the SHIV British sophistication mod.

humesdog
04-28-07, 11:51 AM
Me Too!!!
S-34, S-44

Wait, S-44 is my S-42 class boat.

Hey, I'm the skipper of the S-34! I'm notifying comsubpac of this ;)

NEON DEON
04-28-07, 12:55 PM
An S class with her Moma!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/7774/0816813lu7.jpg

Camaero
04-28-07, 01:48 PM
I am holding the line up near the cold Aelutian Islands. It is not very glamorous, but Uncle Sam says go there so I go there. Sometimes me and the boys get a bit frustrated because after all, the greatest war in history is going on and we seem to be well clear of it!

Go S class!

Kayback
04-28-07, 02:22 PM
Currently banging around the PAcific in an S class as well.

Actually i'm riding one of the others at this EXACT second, but thats just a "lets see how the other boats fair".

I'm a serious S class fan though.

KBK

Safe-Keeper
04-28-07, 02:37 PM
I'm so glad they added those little tin cans. I loved the Type IIa and, what was it, d, in Silent Hunter III, and I love the S-18 and S-42 in Silent Hunter 4.

Camaero
04-28-07, 03:11 PM
It is kind of strange because I hated the Type II in SHIII, but I am really getting into these S boats.

TheBrauerHour
04-28-07, 04:47 PM
I was promoted out of an S class into a Porpoise...and I regretted it. Is it me or does the Porpoise have worse fuel efficiency? Anyhow, how could a Porpoise compare with such incredible lines as the S Class...

TripleDaddy
04-28-07, 09:50 PM
I was promoted out of an S class into a Porpoise...and I regretted it. Is it me or does the Porpoise have worse fuel efficiency? Anyhow, how could a Porpoise compare with such incredible lines as the S Class...

QFT. There is just something about that vertical but razor sharp bow that appeals to me.

Me like pretty boat.

deamyont
04-29-07, 12:18 PM
S-38 here. Love it. S-class is the only subs thats small and agile enough for surface battles with DD's :up:

Kataki
04-29-07, 11:27 PM
S-43 For me :)

Its always more intense when you dont have as much room to strech out your legs (bother literally and in the sense you cant dive as deep).

TripleDaddy
04-30-07, 12:13 AM
I was looking for a cutaway of the s-class and found this:

http://www.cawreckdivers.org/Wrecks/S37.htm

I found this particularly disturbing:

A junior officer on the S-37 wrote this graphic account: The bunks beyond the wardroom are filled with torrid, skivy clad bodies, the sweat running off the white, rash blistered skin in small rivulets. Metal fans are whirring everywhere overhead, and at the end of the bunks, close to my ear, I am playing cribbage with the skipper, mainly because I don’t like to wallow in a sweat soaked bunk most of the day. I have my elbows on the table near the edge and I hold my cards with my arms at a slight angle so the sweat will stream down my bare arms, without soaking the pile of cards in the center. Overhead is a fine net of gauze to catch the wayward cockroaches, which prowl across the top of the wardroom and occasionally fall straight down. They live in the cork insulation, which lines the inside of the submarine itself. We’ve killed over sixteen million cockroaches in one compartment alone. The deck in the control room is littered with towels, used to sponge up the water dripping off the men and the submarine itself. The food is routine, something canned. The dehydrated potatoes, powdered onions, and reconstituted carrots have the same general taste; like sawdust.

Kataki
04-30-07, 12:19 AM
They didnt call them pigboats for nuffin' :P

sean705
05-04-07, 01:30 PM
S-38 here, and I'm loving it so far. :rock:

Does anyone know if there are any user designed skins for the S class? I've been searching the boards for the past two days, but haven't seen any.

I read some of the modding tutorials, got some good pictures of my S-38 and went into play around, but noticed that there are no Conning tower texture files for the S class boats. Anyway, I'm gonna try and play around with it tonight. If I can figure it out, I'll post my creation on the mod board. (no guarantees I'll figure out what I'm doing though :D )

Calbeck
05-04-07, 03:45 PM
Sugar Boats Forever! -:D

Been in love with 'em since SH1. Feisty little bastards, maybe not a lot of torps or depth, but they run faster'n any other damn sub around...nothing better for interception or a fast bugout.

And I admit a perverse please in gunning down Betties using that 4in gun!:up:

"We're leaving here tonight --- there's no need to tell anyone, they'd only hold us down...so, by the morning's light, we'll be halfway to anywhere..."

Capt. Shark Bait
05-04-07, 04:42 PM
at the moment i have command of S-23 out of Cavite. found a destroyer on it's lonesome. it found me too and sent me a few gifts but i was at 198' and took no damage, tho there was a bit of rocking side to side. might've helped that before the gifts i had popped decoys at 1/3rd then went to flank speed beneath the thermal layer maneuvered into popsition via hydrophones, and maybe a bit of help from the attack map, and managed to put a torpedo in it's side:ping: , amidships. she then slipped silently beneath the surface

Tranton
05-04-07, 06:26 PM
I must admit that I too have fallen in love with the S-Class. I wish there was more meterial on them out there such as interior images. The only thing that bothers me about playing them are the historical and technical inconsistencies, the most glaring example of which being the TDC.

TripleDaddy
05-04-07, 07:55 PM
Just finished my first patrol in S-39. 69,000 tons and the Medal of Honor. Got a little banged up in the Formosa Strait and had to putter along at 3 knots all the way to Java. Took forever.

pythos
05-04-07, 09:13 PM
To me the S-boats are very much akin to the Type VII, just without the stearn torpedo. Some views from the bridge look very much like the view from the German work horse. It probably is helped by the narrow fordeck jutting out from under your view from the bridge.

As I have posted, in another thread, the S-boat is really an inferior version of the Type VII. Roughly the same size, but much shallower diving, and a bit slower.

I have to say. The Little boat is quite fun to sneak into harbors and unleash all hell, and then run away.

Also, looking at the book I have about american subs, the range of the porpoise was in fact inferior to the S-boat (probably due to the two extra diesles, and diesle electric power systems. The S-boat were direct drive, like the German boats. The generators were clutched in. The Porpoise also has horrendous under water endurance at 5 knots compared to the S-boat that had much more underwater legs.

MadMike
05-05-07, 06:54 AM
Interior images of S-boats can be found starting here-

http://www.rddesigns.com/subs/s-boats.html

Interesting reading on the S-boats from Ruhe's book "War in the Boats" and "Pigboat 39" by Gugliotta. The diesels could not be used for reverse, they had to be disengaged and the electric motors were used.

Also, the Mk10 torpedo could not be reset in the tube for depth, if time permitted it could be partially withdrawn and the depth set. Otherwise the gyro angle was set in using a spindle (fabulous devices like the Mk8 torpedo angle solver were used). Reloads could be accomplished in five to seven minutes per tube.

Yours, Mike

sean705
05-06-07, 11:02 PM
Ok,

All my fellow S boat captians... a quick question for you all.

I posted on the bug thread the following:

During my time as a S boat Skipper, I have not once experienced a CTD.
But, when I changed to a Salmon or Gato class boat, the CDT's became a regular part of gameplay. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone validate this?

Radtgaeb
05-07-07, 04:44 PM
Ok,

All my fellow S boat captians... a quick question for you all.

I posted on the bug thread the following:

During my time as a S boat Skipper, I have not once experienced a CTD.
But, when I changed to a Salmon or Gato class boat, the CDT's became a regular part of gameplay. Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone validate this?

Never heard of that one....

Lagger123987
05-07-07, 04:55 PM
S boats is the S**T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better than those piggies boats them and their really slow dive times.

DeerHunter UK
05-08-07, 05:54 AM
After 6 months in S-24, I've decided I needed a new challlenge and retired her for a Salmon class fleet boat. This was my patrol history sinkings for S-24 (P-555).

1st Patrol - Manila base - 8.12.41-8.1.42

KLCS Nagara - Large Modern Composite Merchant
KSCS Taihosan - Small Modern Composite Merchant
KMCS Akita Medium - Old Composite Merchant
BB Ise
KLSS Hakusika - Large Old Split Merchant
KMSS Biyo - Medium Old Split Merchant

Tonnage: 60706

2nd Patrol - Surabaya base - 28.1.42-21.3.42

KMSS Kinposan - Medium Modern Split Merchant
PL Horai - Old Liner
PL Horai - Old Liner

Tonnage: 60627

3rd Patrol - Fremantle base - 11.4.42-15.6.42

CA Mogami
OS Haruna - Small Old Oiler
KSCS Taihosan - Small Modern Composite Merchant
KMCS Zinbu - Medium Old Composite Merchant

Tonnage: 36502

S-24 (P-555) gone but not forgotten.

http://www.sharkscage.com/deerhunter/Jolly%20Roger.jpg

Old Dog
05-08-07, 10:33 PM
Trying and learning here with an S boat.
I have a question:
They're advertised to make 13 knots.
Is it possible to exceed 11 knots without driving over a dam ?
It doesn't really matter, but if yours it faster than mine I would like to ask for clues. :hmm:

Got a kick out of the quotes from the Lieutenant on the S boat in WW II.
The tropics are like that L-T. Sweat happens.

Old Dog

TripleDaddy
05-08-07, 11:04 PM
I have a question:
It doesn't really matter, but if yours it faster than mine I would like to ask for clues. :hmm:

Old Dog

Not unless you tweak it. I gave mine a top speed of 15 knots (hey, Wiki says 14.5. Don't you judge me, you don't know me, I do what I want!:arrgh!: )

Lagger123987
05-09-07, 12:08 AM
I have a question:

Old Dog

Not unless you tweak it. I gave mine a top speed of 15 knots (hey, Wiki says 14.5. Don't you judge me, you don't know me, I do what I want!:arrgh!: )

I tweak my Suger boats to go to 70 so I can run away from this "escorts", I keep hearing all the time.

Radtgaeb
05-09-07, 06:32 PM
woah, cool! My post got a 4 star ranking! :D

Thanks guys!

t0maz
05-10-07, 07:49 AM
Yesterday Ive sink fuso in my S-18 by last 3 torpedos :up:

Sad that no one made some fine hi-res skin for S-Class :shifty:

sean705
05-10-07, 09:13 AM
Sad that no one made some fine hi-res skin for S-Class :shifty:

Yea, I'd like to see some good skins for the S-Class. I tried my hand at it, but without a good photo editor, and with no real artistic talent :-? I wasn't able to do a very good job :down:
I think I'll give it another go, but after I get some better editing programs. I think I remember seeing on some of the tutorial threads something about some free editing software that's pretty good, I hope so, cause I don't have the money to shell out for photo shop at the moment

AhhhFresh
05-10-07, 09:26 AM
I just started a new career out of Brisbane in 1942 in an S-42 class boat (USS S-46) and still love it... they're my favorite sub by far; though eventually I do want to try out a Balao.

I'm writing up my patrols on another gaming forum which you can check out here: http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50309

wahoo
05-10-07, 04:31 PM
I tried the S-Boat out of Brisbane, I enjoyed it, but didnt like the
reduced torpedoes like the bigger subs can carry.

"When the last war call has sounded,
and the fleet will sail no more,
when a lasting peace is founded
and no enemy threatens our shore
when at last they write the story
and the reason for victory is seen
you will rise in honored glory
YOU MIGHTY SUBMARINE

ReallyDedPoet
05-31-07, 08:50 PM
Currently in one of these now, like it more than I thought I would:rock:

RDP

Baracuda
06-07-07, 04:39 PM
Not so much a reply but can somone help me out? What is FOX TRAFIC? I keep getting it when im out on patrols.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

LTCMDR W S T REAY USS SAILFISH

Sailor Steve
06-07-07, 05:14 PM
Not sure, but it might be some kind of coded message system. Is there anything noticeably different about those particular messages?

Reaves
06-07-07, 07:28 PM
In my alternate history version of SH4 :hmm: Australia purchased an S-42 boat from the US to use in the struggle against Japan. Knowing that only one captain in the world could stop the monstrous imperial navy they called for me, captain Reaves. I sail from Brisbane tonight onboard the Paragon! :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
06-08-07, 10:40 AM
Loser! A real superhero wouldn't have to write about his own exploits; someone else would do it for him! Did James Bond have to write his own books? Achilles had Homer do it for him! Come back when you've inspired a good biographer!:p :p :rotfl:

Baracuda
06-08-07, 11:53 AM
Not sure, but it might be some kind of coded message system. Is there anything noticeably different about those particular messages?

No i cant even access them. It just sais FOX TRAFIC RECIEVED in the message window. Anyone got any ideas or is this just another notories SH4 bug?

LTCMDR W S T REAY USS SAILFISH

SteamWake
06-08-07, 12:25 PM

FOX traffic announce major events, such as the fall of "so and so" to let you know dont go there ;) Im still waiting on the one stating "The War is over !" :lol:

As to the S class there alot of fun. One thing is for sure they dive quickly !

Xelif
06-08-07, 11:50 PM
Baracuda, the message will be found in your messages/captain's clipboard. Default key is 'm'.

Gunner
06-10-07, 04:29 PM
S Class all the way. S-42 after insertion of commandos, went for a joyride, enjoyed the scenery before returning to the Hunt

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z93/dhuget/SH4Sig.jpg

STEED
06-10-07, 04:36 PM
I'm trying out the S-Class and what a b******d she is in a good way that is. ;)

Gunner
06-10-07, 04:59 PM
I'm trying out the S-Class and what a b******d she is in a good way that is. ;)

Does take a bit of gett'n used to after the bigger boats. Did a little mod to get the S-42 with later war conning tower at career start in Manila, didn't really care for the tripod platform on the rear of conning tower for the 20mm. Added custom emblem thanks to Belgian tutoral, gives her a little personal touch.Plan on keep'n this boat till the end of the war :D

Baracuda
06-13-07, 11:55 AM
Just ditched the sargo i had and started a new career in 1941 Asiastic fleet. Got assigned S-47 and holy god she rocks! Second day en route to luzon when came accross a task force of 3 Mogami's with a destroyer escort sunk two cruisers and one destroyer.:arrgh!: For an Sugar boat? Awsome in my opinion.:rock:

This thread is great I can see why everyone loves S boats now!

LTCMDR W S T REAY USS S-47

crapgame
06-13-07, 02:02 PM
Started a new campaign as captain of S-38. I loaded Tater's campaign layers, a great job by the way, and after running through sub school getting the hang of manual targeting, I am now running 100% realism. I got my first manual kill last night. I think I am going to try and keep the S-18 class boat as long as possible. Does anybody know how much upgrading this boat gets as time passes? Does it ever get surface radar?

seaniam81
06-13-07, 06:45 PM
Yep, I love the little S-boats. Only because i sank my very first fleet carrier with one. Only took four fish :D

Reaves
06-14-07, 12:32 AM
Loser! A real superhero wouldn't have to write about his own exploits; someone else would do it for him! Did James Bond have to write his own books? Achilles had Homer do it for him! Come back when you've inspired a good biographer!:p :p :rotfl:

I did have one but I threw him overboard when he wouldn't remove certain parts of his story commenting on my incompetence as a naval commander. I told him that's no way to describe a hero in a story but he only replied something about being a reporter and not a fictional writer.

Sailor Steve
06-14-07, 06:04 PM
:rotfl: Good one!:up: