PDA

View Full Version : PC Powerplay score SHIV 9 outta 10

kiwi_2005
04-24-07, 08:07 PM
Reviewed by Des McNicolas whos has reviewed sub games for aussie/kiwis gamers for years.
when i saw his review i was expecting a big moan about the bugs but he never mentioned it, what stopped him from giving it a 10 was the lame manual & tutorials, "as some new players to SHIV will never get pass the easy option gameplay unless they head on line and search out tutorials" Despite having been rushed to production, SH4 brings a well-rounded package that offers a terrific mix of gameplay options.

Cannot find a review on their site, http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au im getting this info from the magazine "PC PowerPlay Issue #138: May 2007"

But in short
Pros:
*Great mix of customisation options
*Accessible by all levels of player
*Looks unbelievably good.

CONS
*Poor Manual that doesn't do it justice
*Superfical and poorly explained tutorials
*No-one is going to get anymore sleep this year

9 thats a N.I.N.E out of 10! :rock:

FIREWALL
04-24-07, 08:39 PM
Hi Kiwi 2005:)

All reviews iv'e seen are at least 8 but i think the interesting part is the bad manual. SH-3 wasn't to much better. The game co.'s are useing the
sites like Subsim to take the place of a decent manual and i think thats a big mistake. If this is their continual practice i see them shooting themselves in the foot. Thx for the info.:up:

xptical
04-24-07, 08:40 PM
Way too high.

For starters, the manual is crap. A lot of things in there are just plain wrong. Furthermore, don't waste paper on explaining what clicking a button does. People are task-driven, not event driven.

A tutorial should explain *when* to use 1/3, 2/3, standard, or flank. Not just tell me to click on the compass and then click standard.

It never explains torpedo settings. The in-game recognition manual doesn't show draft.

There is *no* explanation of crew selection/management.

Next, the range problem. It seems that the game does all measurments in metric and then does a final conversion to imperial at the interface. Sometimes. People complain about the map showing 1000 yards, the periscope showing 900 yards, and the sonar showing 1100 yards.

There are a hundred little bugs that need to be fixed. In its release state, the game is flawed, but passable.

If they gave it a 9/10, then they must either be fanboys, didn't play long, or just have really low standards.

kiwi_2005
04-24-07, 09:07 PM
If they gave it a 9/10, then they must either be fanboys, didn't play long, or just have really low standards.

Well really i would say they have no fan boys, pcpowerplay really are not into subgames whenever theirs a sub game up for review they get Des McNicololas whos into navy games.

I once emailed them to ask that they put up the GWX mod on their game magazine dvd for other gamers to try out but they weren't interested. :nope: If Des was the dvd editor he would of without a doubt.