PDA

View Full Version : Problems

Angus89
04-23-07, 04:38 PM
Ive done numerous complete uninstall/reinstalls. Patched to 1.2 through sh4 updater. Very few major problems as yet, although, I cannot run any mods, game freezes and comp locks up. Also, cannot load an in patrol save. Port saves work fine, but in patrol saves crash game. Tried after leaving port, submerged, surfaced, running at real time, also when paused. None will load. This really sucks considering distances to cover. Anyone know of solutions to either?

Herr Karl
04-23-07, 04:42 PM
Some system info and OS would be a big help.

If you're running Vista...all is lost.

;)

MikeJW
04-23-07, 04:46 PM
Vista is fine with SH4. Pre-patch on patrol saves wont work with the patch but in-base saves are good.

Angus89
04-23-07, 04:47 PM
no vista, windows me, 1 gig ram, 2.33ghz pentuim m, nvidia 6800go 256mb i blieve. And none of my saves will work after reinstall and patch. only in base. These are new saves, not holdovers from any previous versions.

Quillan
04-23-07, 05:16 PM
windows me

Enough said, right there. The game only supports Windows XP and Vista.

Nightmare
04-23-07, 05:25 PM
windows me

It's not only that ME isn't supported. ME shouldn't be run on principle. It's the worst OS Microsoft has released to date!

Herr Karl
04-23-07, 05:33 PM
windows me
It's not only that ME isn't supported. ME shouldn't be run on principle. It's the worst OS Microsoft has released to date!

OUCH!!! Sorry Angus...I guess the Nazi's forgot to burn your edition of Millenium!!

Bummer...:arrgh!:

Angus89
04-23-07, 06:47 PM
ok misprint me should have been xp media edition

Duke_Wellington_1st
04-23-07, 07:22 PM
Ive done numerous complete uninstall/reinstalls. Patched to 1.2 through sh4 updater. Very few major problems as yet, although, I cannot run any mods, game freezes and comp locks up. Also, cannot load an in patrol save. Port saves work fine, but in patrol saves crash game. Tried after leaving port, submerged, surfaced, running at real time, also when paused. None will load. This really sucks considering distances to cover. Anyone know of solutions to either?

I get the same problem with the save games. Im on XP , 8800 GTX, gig ram , blah blah....
Have done the same , reinstalled, patched, cusssed. Still cannot load games mid patrol. Was hoping 1.2 would fix this one - I cannot play it in this current state.

Quillan
04-23-07, 07:23 PM
Ah, ok. I'm not sure about that one. I only know one person with MCE, and he occasionally has problems with games that I don't, and even that he didn't have before he bought it. I can't say for certain that's the problem, though, and I doubt you're willing to spend $100-200 to change your OS just to see if that's it.

However, I'd be willing to bet at least part of the problem is that it's a laptop. Regardless, I really don't think laptops make good gaming systems, even the $3000+ models. Their design is totally different, and I'm talking right down to the various systems and chips. Mobile graphics chips have certain features disabled and clock speeds turned down, all to lower power usage and heat generated. Even if you have a "gaming" laptop that goes above and beyond, they are so small that they overheat, badly. I have a friend who bought a $3500 Alienware laptop. He's had it perhaps a year now. In that time, he's had the motherboard replaced THREE TIMES! He can't set it down on his lap, it's too hot. He can't set it directly on a table! It'll scorch the polish on the furniture. Even at idle the air exhaust is quite warm. You can heat dinner by placing your food next to the outlet.

Angus89
04-23-07, 07:40 PM
It is on a laptop, however, the game runs fine, its just not loading saves not done in port. Dont think its just because im on a laptop, but hey what do i know.

DragonRR1
04-23-07, 07:44 PM
It could be MCE.. I too have seen people mention problems with it although it is really XP PRO underneath.

I agree with Quillan that laptops make terrible gaming platforms but the problem Angus describes "seems" to be more drive related since all his issues seem to be with file saves and loads.

@angus.. Have you had a look in your system log to check for drive issues? Or any other issues for that matter.
Another suggestion I would make would be a complete clean out of SH4 and re-install putting patch 1.2 on before playing the game at all (not through the updater). Recommend removing the SH4 folder in documents and settings too.

longam
04-23-07, 07:45 PM
Media Edition on a laptop, ok

CaptainHaplo
04-23-07, 07:58 PM
How are you saving? One thing that has been learned is SH4 has the same quirks as sh3 - if your going to save mid patrol there are a couple of things that you need to do.

#1 - Be on the surface with no ships in visual range

#2 - save from the map screen

These two things have eliminated almost all the in patrol save issues found to date.

Good Hunting!
Captain Haplo

Angus89
04-23-07, 09:45 PM
ok just reinstalled and patched, ( not through updater). Did a quick test and seems to work. 2 in patrol saves loaded up fine. Hoping Im fixed now. Maybe a problem with the included SH4 auto-patch feature? Thats the only different that I did. Will try the mod problem later, mebbe the updater interfered with that as well. And for all the laptop haters out there, this one runs the game great at 1920xwhatever on a 17" widecreen. Only 1400 bucks over a year ago. So it can be done. : )