PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubisoft / SH4 developers listening?

Vorkapitan
04-22-07, 02:36 PM
Hi All,

I was just wondering if Ubsoft / SH4 developers are monitoring this site for bugs / issues with SH4 for their next patch? It seems rather quiet on their side unless they have been making an effort behind the scenes. :-?

Joe

CCIP
04-22-07, 02:44 PM
The short answer is 'yes'.

TDK1044
04-22-07, 02:47 PM
This site does get monitored, but to my knowledge there has been no confirmation from Ubisoft that there will be any more patches.

It's possible that we'll get patch 1.3, but don't assume that because members here identify bugs and issues that Ubisoft will therefore start work on a new patch.

FAdmiral
04-22-07, 02:49 PM
I think SH3 was patched 5 times if I recall, 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.4b
Can anybody confirm that?

JIM

CCIP
04-22-07, 02:51 PM
Right, fair notice. I think it's true enough that the patches depend on Ubisoft's say-so to the devs, not so much the issues themselves. I'm not sure to what extent Ubisoft is willing to extend the game's post-release support nor how much the management is aware of issues. It's good to keep raising them in a productive way, though.

The devs are normally aware, but what they can do is often bound by Ubisoft's decisions.

CCIP
04-22-07, 02:51 PM
I think SH3 was patched 5 times if I recall, 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.4b
Can anybody confirm that?

JIM
No, there was no 1.4, only 1.4b

It came out sometime in June 2005, I believe (SHIII was also released mid-march).
I, too, think going by the SHIII experience is fair enough, and SHIV has been following about the same patching schedule so far. At this rate we might still hope for a couple more patches at 1-month intervals... (no guarantee there, though).

TDK1044
04-22-07, 02:52 PM
I think there were 4, with 1.4 and 1.4b being the same patch.

Ducimus
04-22-07, 02:53 PM
Im certain the ubi developers visit this site reguarlly. Could be as often as every other day. I think its because the community is fairly knowledgable, and is normally, not irrate and a coheirant group to converse with. I woudlnt be surpised if rants and irrate threads put them off from coming here.

One thing ive learned over the years with game developers in general, is just because they're not posting or not saying anything, doesnt mean their not listening.

AJ!
04-22-07, 03:02 PM
Im sure there will be more patches.... i would be greatly shocked and dissapointed if they stopped patching the game. There is still alot of work to be done and so many things to be added/ improved ;)

I was impressed with the resolution fix and AA in the recent patch 1.2
The game looks beutiful now... although my frame rate is starting to suffer :-?

At the moment i feel the best option to go on is a Xpack for the game.. Almost like the two xpacks that came out for SH3 only with more content like new rooms in the sub and better crew interaction, maybe even new subs and skins... and of course maybe even jap subs ingame

I think my heart would skip a beat if a Xpack was announced for SH4 :p

TDK1044
04-22-07, 03:38 PM
One thing ive learned over the years with game developers in general, is just because they're not posting or not saying anything, doesnt mean their not listening.

Very true. One of the Devs visits here often and has posted a few times too. The Devs don't control the production budget though. They can only patch what Ubisoft authorize them to patch.

We'll have to wait and see.

DragonRR1
04-22-07, 04:31 PM
This site does get monitored, but to my knowledge there has been no confirmation from Ubisoft that there will be any more patches.

It's possible that we'll get patch 1.3, but don't assume that because members here identify bugs and issues that Ubisoft will therefore start work on a new patch.

TDK1044 You've posted several times like this. Everything you say is correct. We don't know whether there will be a 1.3 let alone a 1.4 patch. UBI have officially said nothing about a 1.3. etc.. However you are being rather pessimistic given the fact that the game "appears" to have sold at least reasonably well and historically SH3 had 4 patches and imo wasn't as buggy as SH4 at the outset...

I guess my question is: Do you know something you aren't letting on about the chances of getting further patches? :o

TDK1044
04-22-07, 05:07 PM

TDK1044 You've posted several times like this. Everything you say is correct. We don't know whether there will be a 1.3 let alone a 1.4 patch. UBI have officially said nothing about a 1.3. etc.. However you are being rather pessimistic given the fact that the game "appears" to have sold at least reasonably well and historically SH3 had 4 patches and imo wasn't as buggy as SH4 at the outset...

I guess my question is: Do you know something you aren't letting on about the chances of getting further patches? :o

No. There may well be additional patches, DragonRR1. I certainly hope so. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but I just don't think that it's a 'given' that Ubisoft will treat SH4 exactly the same way they did SH3.

Nobody will be happier than the Devs if they are asked to produce additional patches. Personally, I hope we get two more patches....I really can't see us getting any more than that though.

DragonRR1
04-22-07, 05:19 PM

No. There may well be additional patches, DragonRR1. I certainly hope so. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but I just don't think that it's a 'given' that Ubisoft will treat SH4 exactly the same way they did SH3.

Nobody will be happier than the Devs if they are asked to produce additional patches. Personally, I hope we get two more patches....I really can't see us getting any more than that though.
Phew.. you had me worried there! It's a shame that UBI aren't more vocal.. even EA these days are posting with patch plans. It is common these days to see PC games capped at 4 patches (or less).. There are, of course, always exceptions to the rule (UBI if you are listening)!

John Channing
04-22-07, 07:00 PM
In fact at least one of the developers was poking around here earlier today.

JCC

Safe-Keeper
04-22-07, 07:55 PM
The back cover of the SH4 copy I found in the sore in my hometown had one review quoted - Subsim.com's. It even featured a tiny little subsim.com logo. Good of them.