PDA

View Full Version : Deck gun accuracy?

DeuceHalo
04-22-07, 05:30 AM
Did a search, but came up empty-handed. Does anyone have any problem with the Deck Gun sights getting knocked off? I've got the 4" on board, and at the start, I only had to aim slightly to the right (I'm not moving and neither is the merchant mind you), but as I continued to fire, I had to further compensate to the right to the point of where my shells land outside my scope (to the left). What's up with this? Thought maybe damaged gun? Nope - even went to port for refit.

Kingcobra24
04-22-07, 10:17 AM
Did a search, but came up empty-handed. Does anyone have any problem with the Deck Gun sights getting knocked off? I've got the 4" on board, and at the start, I only had to aim slightly to the right (I'm not moving and neither is the merchant mind you), but as I continued to fire, I had to further compensate to the right to the point of where my shells land outside my scope (to the left). What's up with this? Thought maybe damaged gun? Nope - even went to port for refit.

Maybe your barrel is overheating and warping out of shape?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I sometimes have that same problem with my deckgun in SH3. Once in a while, about halfway through a patrol, I center the crosshairs onto a merchant or tanker that's dead in the water. Even though the crosshairs are aimed at the waterline below the funnel in a relatively calm sea, the shells actually hit at the waterline about 10 feet or so from the stern. Just a minor glitch...more annoying than anything else.
:lurk:

MikeJW
04-22-07, 11:10 AM
I never have that problem. What rez are you using and is it a widescreen monitor or normal?

Prof
04-22-07, 12:27 PM
I've had this problem in SH3 and SH4, as have a few others. I have no idea about a fix, other than aiming to compensate :(

DeuceHalo
04-22-07, 02:14 PM
It's a widescreen - running at native res of 1920x1200. I never had that problem with the 3" deck gun.

If it is warped because I was plugging away non-stop at some merchants in port :arrgh!:, that would be kind of neat to have simulated. But I guess I'll find out if it returns to normal when I get back to port and start my next patrol.

ironkross
04-22-07, 02:53 PM
I had that problem once before the last patch. Right now I have no deck gun crew. I do still have one AA crewman slot. I went into port and upgraded from a stern 3" gun to a bowmounted 4" and now there's no slots for the gun crew. The two crewmen were just placed into damage control slots. Maybe they gave me one of those Mk 45 auto loaders that modern destroyers have. :rock:

GonzoBonzo
04-22-07, 03:00 PM
I just got the game yesterday, haven't patched it yet, and had the same problem. At first it was fine, then started shooting to the left badly. I had to aim to the right by about a 1/2 inch.

Gonzo

Grunt
04-22-07, 04:29 PM
Ive noticed that when water washes over the deck the gun stop responding to input, but the targeting inputs move the aimpoint.

Best thing to do is save, then load the game again to boresight the deckgun.

LZ_Baker
04-22-07, 04:53 PM
It happens to me sometimes. What is the distance you are firing over? Could it be wind being modeled?