PDA

View Full Version : [Review] SH4 on FiringSquad

flintlock
04-21-07, 02:24 PM
Another SH4 review, this time from the way of FiringSquad. For those interested, the review may be read from here (http://www.firingsquad.com/games/silent_hunter_wolves_of_the_pacific_review/)

PS; Linked to the first page this time around, Neal. ;)

Subsim Monitor
04-21-07, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the link :up:

Worse, the periscope apparently has only two positions – fully extended and fully retracted. It cannot be set to skim just above the surface on a calm day, nor can it be extended further in rough seas. Perhaps this is a historical limitation. Either way, extending the periscope is not what one would consider intuitive.

:hmm:

Neal

John Channing
04-21-07, 03:06 PM
He can't figure out how to use the TDC, so the interface is bad.

Aaaaaaaall righty!

JCC

Safe-Keeper
04-21-07, 03:11 PM
Worse, the periscope apparently has only two positions – fully extended and fully retracted.Is that really true, or hasn't he figured out that he can hit Page Up or Page Down without holding Control;)? Or doesn't it work that way in SH4?

NEON DEON
04-21-07, 03:18 PM
"American subs available are the S-18, S-42, Salmon, Porpoise, Tambor, Gar, Gato, and Balao classes. Sadly, a personal favorite from Silent Service II – the oddball Narwhal – didn't make the cut, despite its giant twin 6” guns mounted on the fore deck. In general, this is actually one of the small problems with the game – there isn't that much variety to American designs. "

OMG! :stare:

Keel haul em!:dead:

He called the Narwhal oddball!:arrgh!:

CCIP
04-21-07, 03:19 PM
...you know, I really see now why Neal sets a minimum playing time with a game before starting to write a review for it :dead:

sqk7744
04-21-07, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the link :up:

Worse, the periscope apparently has only two positions – fully extended and fully retracted. It cannot be set to skim just above the surface on a calm day, nor can it be extended further in rough seas. Perhaps this is a historical limitation. Either way, extending the periscope is not what one would consider intuitive.
:hmm:

Neal
Sigh...

Please send your PageUp and PageDown keys along with $1 to Happy dude 742 Evergreen Terrace Springfield USA

* It's folks like this, that we have to thank for the Automatic Transmission and valet parking.

mookiemookie
04-21-07, 03:42 PM
The ship ID book isn't any better, it opens and closes by clicking a small icon on the bottom bar. Given how necessary the book is, especially for manual targeting, one would think easy access to it would be important. Alas, ease of use clearly wasn't a design priority.

Pressing the "N" key once isn't easy access? :88)

Sailor Steve
04-21-07, 04:49 PM
"American subs available are the S-18, S-42, Salmon, Porpoise, Tambor, Gar, Gato, and Balao classes. Sadly, a personal favorite from Silent Service II – the oddball Narwhal – didn't make the cut, despite its giant twin 6” guns mounted on the fore deck. In general, this is actually one of the small problems with the game – there isn't that much variety to American designs. "

He also said it had both guns on the fore deck.

NEON DEON
04-21-07, 04:54 PM

He also said it had both guns on the fore deck.

Now I am LIVID!:eek:

Time to write a nasty e-mail!:D

flintlock
04-21-07, 05:01 PM
...you know, I really see now why Neal sets a minimum playing time with a game before starting to write a review for it :dead:
A novel concept lost on most, unfortunately.

-Pv-
04-21-07, 05:30 PM
One of the poorest written reviews. Can't all be perfect. Someone had to do it.
-Pv-

Chock
04-21-07, 06:10 PM
Well, there's one or two mistakes in that review and the reviewer has clearly not spent long enough testing it to learn many nuances and options for SH4, but generally speaking, I think the review makes some fair points.

As I read through, those were my thoughts, until right at the very end, when the reviewer praised the intro movie for SH4. Totally disagree with that, I think the intro is one of the most misguided intros ever put in a sim, which is one of the reasons why I made a new one for it.

CaptainHaplo
04-21-07, 07:11 PM
One has to wonder - he thought the intro was good? Allow me to put forth a bit of advice - step 1 - put down the crack pipe and step away from your computer.....

I will agree the interface has taken a step back - and yes bugs are rampant. I do agree its a roughly 80% - it will be 98 when the bugs are gone. But he liked the intro???? sheesh - the intro is where sh4 looses points with me!

Overall - a decent review - accurate in places - but it seems by sheer luck.

Good Hunting

Captain Haplo