PDA

View Full Version : Help me shoot AFT torpedo with manual TDC

Siinji30
04-21-07, 08:00 AM
Is there any precautions I have to take when using the AFT torpedoes? Iīve been practising the torpedo tutorial. I have no problem hitting the cruiser every time. But there are 2 small merchants sailing behind me. I have tried hitting them using my aft torpedoes. But they do not hit at all, and the TDC shows weird numbers. Like the boats where on the other side, and the TDC moves so fast like it was an aircraft i was tracking :)

Sometimes when I shoot the aft, the torpedoes do a complete turn, and point towards the cruiser. And I have not locked the PK on the cruiser at all...didnīt even look at it.

I can not really explain exactly how the TDC moves, but it moves totally wrong, and if I can recall, the AoB shows me on the other side of my target, even if I have set the AoB correctly.

I think I understand how the TDC and the PK works with the cruiser, but canīt understand why it doesnīt work with my aft targets.

AVGWarhawk
04-21-07, 08:12 AM
Well, hitting the sampan with a torp...good luck. History shows the skippers used the cannon for the sanpan. Very hard to hit with a torp because they are small. Save the torps for big game.

Stern shots. First, click one of your torps on the stern. This will trip the TDC into knowing you are looking to shoot the stern torps. Get your speed of target, AOB(bow is now your stern, if you can visualize this) and then get the range. Hit the update button. Now your PK should change showing your stern stern pointing at the target and tracking it. The hardest thing is visualizing that everything is now 180 degress out from your bow.

leeclose
04-21-07, 08:15 AM
Hmm plus if memory serves me right sampans are made of wood or some such material so wouldnt the fish just go right thru it with no real hard object in the sampan to hit?

Siinji30
04-21-07, 08:57 AM
Okay...this is weird...I think.

(We are still talking the torpedo tutorial)

I turned the boat 180 degrees. Wanted to use the AFT torpedoes on the Mogami Cruiser instead. Everything worked just as I had anticipated, and a direct hit it was.

Why does AFT not work on sampans then? Is this a programming error? Is the TDC programmed to not lock onto range/AoB/Speed of Sampans? Does the TDC in some īmagicī way know that nobody will ever shoot the sampans, and īguessesī that the player must be trying to shoot the Cruiser?

Can someone try to shoot at the sampans. I know the torpedo will probably go under the boat and all, but this is just target practice. But my torpedoes donīt even go in the direction of the sampans.

Am I completely wrong here? Or?

Siinji30
04-21-07, 09:07 AM
Something else is wrong. I CAN shoot the sampan which is closer (almost at 90 AoB) at game start. Itīs the second one which is impossible to hit.

I lock on, lock PK. Set range, AoB and Speed. The TDC looks ok...but then it jumps to a weird position. Showing me at the opposite AoB of my target. Has this something to do with the bug someone talked about, where you couldnīt track a target through some 90 degrees or something like that? (Canīt recall what that bug was about, but it had something to do with only being able to track targets travelling from right to left, and NOT left to right).

To make things short....try and shoot the sampan which is at about 100 - 120 degrees at game start in the torpedo tutorial.

WernerSobe
04-21-07, 10:46 AM
hehe yea thats rooky error.

you have forgotten to reset your position keeper after seting it up for the cruiser. ill try to explain. When you are using position keeper it will always stay on the target it was set up for, regardles what youre aiming at with your scope. So you have to reset the PK by deaktivating it, aiming for the new target, creating a new solution, and starting PK again (if you want, it is actualy not necessary to use PK when you aim visualy)

Siinji30
04-21-07, 12:52 PM
No, Iīm not forgetting to reset my PK from the Cruiser. I didnīt even LOOK at the cruiser. Even tried a fresh start of the game, choose to torpedo tutorial, and did everything in the aprox. following order:

Scope up
turn scope to Sampan
lock scope on sampan
choose AFT torpedo
ID ship with book
lock PK
use stadimeter
set AoB approx 30 deg.
set speed approx. 4 knots

....and TDC shows me on the wrong side of my target. Hmpf....I must be doing something wrong.

leeclose
04-21-07, 02:02 PM
Hmm all looks good to me tbh you must have a irish periscope:yep: