PDA

View Full Version : Not working very well

stanfitz
04-20-07, 10:44 AM
I've just installed patch 1.2 and the sim doesn't seem to work very well.

1. It doesn't get light (Dec 22nd) around Japan till about 10:00 AM - I doubt the sun rises so late.

2. I've went over the "goal" mark (looks like a pair of binoculars) a number of times, but it never changes. When I had ver. 1.1 installed, it changed and told me to sink some ships.

3. It repeats the same messages over and over.

I think I'll give up on this till they put out a patch that fixes things.

SteamWake
04-20-07, 10:54 AM
your watch is set to YOUR local time it does not correspond to your position on the globe. not a bug.

The binocs indicate a specific mission, check your task and complete it.

What message.

Again, probably not the patch but the installtion.

Strikor
04-20-07, 11:00 AM
For the binocular missions you need to stay within a certain radius of the icon, something like 54nm. I usually stay within 50 just to be safe.

Snowman999
04-20-07, 01:00 PM
your watch is set to YOUR local time it does not correspond to your position on the globe. not a bug.

It may work as designed, but it's wrong. Subs do one of two things--set to local time zone (most common) or Zulu time. Leaving your watch on Pearl Harbor time is just dumb.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:09 PM

It may work as designed, but it's wrong. Subs do one of two things--set to local time zone (most common) or Zulu time. Leaving your watch on Pearl Harbor time is just dumb.
Why is this dumb? The German uboats alway kept the time it was in Germany yet they are hanging off the East Coast of America.

SteamWake
04-20-07, 01:18 PM

Why is this dumb? The German uboats alway kept the time it was in Germany yet they are hanging off the East Coast of America.

Maybe "dumb" is the wrong word. More like innaccurate.

Indeed a "local time" or "zulu" clock would be handy. In the meantime at least you have a rough estimate as to when the sun comes up.

Antrodemus
04-20-07, 01:21 PM
FWIW, a lot of the lack of understanding of mission objectives can be squarely aimed at the manual. It's woeful. One of the worst, least informative gaming manuals I've ever seen, in almost 30 years of computer gaming, and it's for something that is, by its very nature, one of the most complex and demanding tasks ever; commanding a submarine through one of the toughest, most gruelling and arduous naval campaigns in modern history. Pitiful. I really do get the impression that UBI Romania's staff were promised (by "the management") an all-encompassing, highly-informative missive, encompassing all that would be required of a naval commander... only to be supplied with a friggin' pamphlet that wouldn't tax a bathroom reader on a post-curry expedition.

:down:

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 01:22 PM

Maybe "dumb" is the wrong word. More like innaccurate.

Indeed a "local time" or "zulu" clock would be handy. In the meantime at least you have a rough estimate as to when the sun comes up.

Yes, I always thought that two clocks should show. Local and PH time.

Snowman999
04-20-07, 03:08 PM

How were German radio messages created and filed? USN messages are in Zulu time no matter where in the world you are.

It's dumb because, when you're at 150 feet and want to surface, you have to do mental arithmetic to tell if it's light outside. Same for sunrise when you're in the middle of an approach. The Pacific is a lot wider than the Atlantic and there's a date change in the middle. Knowing it's light at Pearl while it's the middle of the night upstairs has little utility. Combined with not knowing how or if SH4 deals with seasons, I never know when sunset is. Important if you're running for your life.

SH1 gave local sunset and sunrise as well as moon phase. We've gone backwards.

The reason it's in the game? Probably what you said--it's how the Germans did it. The Germans are, of course, the standard for running a successful submarine campaign. Oh, wait . . .

Snowman999
04-20-07, 03:10 PM
only to be supplied with a friggin' pamphlet that wouldn't tax a bathroom reader on a post-curry expedition.

Or a post-bagel expedition . . . Oops! TMI!!!!

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 03:18 PM

How were German radio messages created and filed? USN messages are in Zulu time no matter where in the world you are.

It's dumb because, when you're at 150 feet and want to surface, you have to do mental arithmetic to tell if it's light outside. Same for sunrise when you're in the middle of an approach. The Pacific is a lot wider than the Atlantic and there's a date change in the middle. Knowing it's light at Pearl while it's the middle of the night upstairs has little utility. Combined with not knowing how or if SH4 deals with seasons, I never know when sunset is. Important if you're running for your life.

SH1 gave local sunset and sunrise as well as moon phase. We've gone backwards.

The reason it's in the game? Probably what you said--it's how the Germans did it. The Germans are, of course, the standard for running a successful submarine campaign. Oh, wait . . .
No sir, the German did it for a reason and did not find it 'dumb'. Failure to elaborate on why it is 'dumb' spurned my question. Now, I believe we should get two clocks, PH time and time of the region of the world you are in. Reason, so you know when the sun is up but then again, we know there is a 19 hour difference between Tokyo and PH. I suspect the submariners could make the calculations on the watch to what time it really was in the region. Anyway, we should have the time of region and also the PH time in the game.

Quillan
04-20-07, 03:32 PM
Am I mistaken in remembering it being done that way in SH3? I can't recall right now whether the clock showed Germany time and gave you local time as a mouseover or the reverse, but didn't it give you both? In this one, if I mouse over the time display in the bottom right corner (not the chronometer) I get a popup that says "Local time XX:XX". The problem is that's the same time displayed on the RH corner display and the chronometer. They fixed the location with the 1.2 patch; in 1.1 if I held the mouse over the time display the popup would read "time compression" and I'd have to hold the mouse over the time compression setting buttons to get the "local time" popup.

WhiskeyBravo
04-20-07, 03:48 PM
Timezones? Humbug!

Just wait for the red lighting to come on. :smug:

WB.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 03:50 PM
Timezones? Humbug!

Just wait for the red lighting to come on. :smug:

WB.

Yeah, good point;)

Snowman999
04-20-07, 05:59 PM
No sir, the German did it for a reason and did not find it 'dumb'. Failure to elaborate on why it is 'dumb' spurned my question.

I thought I had answered it. Again, it's dumb becuase it adds no utility. It doesn't correlate to radio messages. It doesn't correlate to the tactical environment. All it tells you is what meal they're eating back in Pearl.

Iron Budokan
04-20-07, 06:35 PM
It is dumb and local and Pearl time both need to be shown on the nav map. Debate over.

novafluxx
04-20-07, 10:53 PM
It is dumb and local and Pearl time both need to be shown on the nav map. Debate over.
Could anyone have put it better? :):D:rock:

AVGWarhawk
04-21-07, 06:16 AM
Could anyone have put it better? :):D:rock:

Nah, this was just one of those 'In summary' deals:rotfl:

EMAPhil
04-21-07, 02:30 PM
An earlier post said wait for the map to go red for night. Well I surfaced a good hour after the night vision light came on and it was still very light outside and I was spotted and run down!!!!

Phil