PDA

View Full Version : Excellent read on Torpedo and TDC operations

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 09:59 AM
http://hnsa.org/doc/attack/

Awesome read on TDC/operations of it and how the approach was plotted. I recommend it highly for those that are uncertain of the TDC and theory behind it.

Sailor Steve
04-20-07, 10:41 AM
:o :rock:

Nice find! Thanks!

Skipbo
04-20-07, 10:43 AM
AVGWarhawk,

A superb document! Thanks for sharing, I've saved it to my hard drive and may print all 101 pages so that I can highlight it as I read it. Great find, thanks........Skipbo :up:

SteamWake
04-20-07, 10:45 AM
Nice stuff bump worth :up:

tater
04-20-07, 10:47 AM
Good find!

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 10:52 AM
It is not bad. Click on the blue links within the text for pictures of the tools. I found one thing I'm changing in my attack. Normally I have my bow pointed at the target as it comes across the bow. It shows in here the bow pointed in the direction of the targets path to account for any discrepencies in my calculations.

OddjobXL
04-20-07, 10:55 AM
Great stuff! I may have to print this out too.

Psyon
04-20-07, 11:08 AM
i thought this was interesting too.., quite a considerable loss of battery power when reving up them screws. and the times for turns are real helpfull :know:

310. FLEET TYPE SUBMARINE:
(a) The Fleet Type Submarine will make the following speeds submerged for the length of time indicated, if it starts with a full battery charge:
Knots/Time 3/ .048 hours 6/ .03 hours 8/ .01 hour 9/ .01/2 hour

(b) Thus it can readily be seen that a major consideration when making an approach is conservation of the battery capacity. 3-1

CONFIDENTIALSLM 1(c) In order to accelerate from 1/3 speed to the speeds indicated it will take the following time:
Speed/Time 6/.01:45 minutes 8/.02:15 minutes 9/.02:30 minutes
(a) In order to decelerate to 1/3 speed from the speeds indicated it will take the following time:
SpeedTime 4.01:30 minutes6.01:45 minutes 8.02:15 minutes 9.02:30 minutes
(e) It is interesting to note that it takes about the same amount of time to decelerate from 4 knots and 6 knots to 1/3. Thus when necessary to use speed it is just as well to use 6 knots as 4 knots as far as deceleration is concerned.

(f) The time it takes to decelerate may be decreased by backing the screws one third. The screws will act as a brake. The use of full rudder will tend to slow the submarine and may be used very effectively when decelerating. Full rudder decreases the speed through the water to about 3/4 of what would be made with the rudder amidships. 3-2

CONFIDENTIALSLM 1(g) When making course changes greater than 20 degrees, full rudder should be used because a submarine is a very slow moving ship. The rudder should be taken off 20 degrees from the new course. The following rate of change of course for a submerged submarine at the various speeds can be expected.
SpeedRate4 knots.45 deg/sec 8 knots1 deg/sec
(h.) The tactical characteristics of a submerged fleet type submarine at 4 knots using 30 degrees rudder are as follows:
Advance290 yardsTransfer226 yardsTactical Diameter467 yards311 - 319. BLANK

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 11:28 AM
Yes, battery power chart is very interesting. I find the game and sub as far as speed and fuel consumption is not bad if handled correctly.

greekfire
04-20-07, 03:36 PM
Wow, Very nice find Warhawk. Thank you so much!

Sailor Steve
04-20-07, 04:34 PM
i thought this was interesting too.., quite a considerable loss of battery power when reving up them screws. and the times for turns are real helpfull :know:

310. FLEET TYPE SUBMARINE:
(a) The Fleet Type Submarine will make the following speeds submerged for the length of time indicated, if it starts with a full battery charge:
Knots/Time 3/ .048 hours 6/ .03 hours 8/ .01 hour 9/ .01/2 hour

(b) Thus it can readily be seen that a major consideration when making an approach is conservation of the battery capacity. 3-1

CONFIDENTIALSLM 1(c) In order to accelerate from 1/3 speed to the speeds indicated it will take the following time:
Speed/Time 6/.01:45 minutes 8/.02:15 minutes 9/.02:30 minutes
(a) In order to decelerate to 1/3 speed from the speeds indicated it will take the following time:
SpeedTime 4.01:30 minutes6.01:45 minutes 8.02:15 minutes 9.02:30 minutes
(e) It is interesting to note that it takes about the same amount of time to decelerate from 4 knots and 6 knots to 1/3. Thus when necessary to use speed it is just as well to use 6 knots as 4 knots as far as deceleration is concerned.

(f) The time it takes to decelerate may be decreased by backing the screws one third. The screws will act as a brake. The use of full rudder will tend to slow the submarine and may be used very effectively when decelerating. Full rudder decreases the speed through the water to about 3/4 of what would be made with the rudder amidships. 3-2

CONFIDENTIALSLM 1(g) When making course changes greater than 20 degrees, full rudder should be used because a submarine is a very slow moving ship. The rudder should be taken off 20 degrees from the new course. The following rate of change of course for a submerged submarine at the various speeds can be expected.
SpeedRate4 knots.45 deg/sec 8 knots1 deg/sec
(h.) The tactical characteristics of a submerged fleet type submarine at 4 knots using 30 degrees rudder are as follows:
Advance290 yardsTransfer226 yardsTactical Diameter467 yards311 - 319. BLANK
When you post something like this would you please also post a link? I've looked all over the manual and I can't find the actual pages this is from; it's driving me crazy.

Kaleu_Mihoo
04-20-07, 04:53 PM
it's chapter 3 from the first link, there's no direct link to this section
cheers
EDIT: just try ctrl+F in your web browser on the page from the 1st link, than copy and paste some text you want to find.
I hope it helped

Sailor Steve
04-20-07, 05:18 PM
Oh, gotcha! The same link! I was looking through the regular Fleet-Type Submarine manual.:oops: :rotfl:

I was questioning the turn rates, as ships normally turn faster the faster they go. I looked closer and the 4-knot rate was .45 degrees per second. I was thinking 45 deg/sec and that's WAY fast! Less than 1/2 deg/sec is more like it. It's nice to see tactical diameters listed as well. That's something I'm always interested in.

Another thing I like is this:
(c) In order to accelerate from 1/3 speed to the speeds indicated it will take the following time:
Speed: Time
6.0: 1:45 minutes
8.0: 2:15 minutes
9.0: 2:30 minutes

Back in the early days of SH3 we had a big acceleration discussion; my contention being that ships were accelerating far too quickly. It looks like I was right. I like that.

Now somebody with the game needs to check game acceleration times.

Kaleu_Mihoo
04-20-07, 05:31 PM
you're absolutelly right about the accelerations,
in sh3 I just halved the (historical) ships engine's power with the sh inspector tool, making them not to accelerate like cars and still able to reach their max speed. Probably it can be done the same way in sh4
greets