PDA

View Full Version : What should I do ?

Egon01
04-20-07, 09:26 AM
Hi

I did, read all possible tutorials how to check target speed, his bearing, AoB etc. Everything was great, I could set all this things easily till I started new campaign with almost full realism setting (only external views on). Let me tell you where I have problem: when I find first very weak contact using my hydrophone (I read that player can find targets from 32km) I have only bearing where this target is but how can I check his course if I don't know range to him ? How should I behave in this situation ? Should I start moving in his direction ? I know what to do if it is close to me, or better if I can see it in periscope but the moment when I find it first time in hydrophone is still very dificulte for me, I just don't know what I should do.

Thank you

SteamWake
04-20-07, 09:30 AM
Place a tick mark (with the pencil) near the end of the contact.

Wait a period of time (typically 3 minutes) place another tick.

Repeat. Now draw a line between the ticks and measure the distance. Some simple math will give you the speed. the line will give you the course and direction.

Project the line out past the last tick mark and you can plot an intercept course.

MikeJW
04-20-07, 09:31 AM
You need to mark his initial position on your nav map. If he is very faint move in his general direction and get another fix and mark his position again. This way you can tell his course.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 09:31 AM
What I do is get my sub's bow pointed in the direction I hear the target. I sit silent and listen to target. You will see the sonar will have to be moved to keep the targets noise in the sonar. So, say he is at 0 degrees and you have to start moving the sonar to say 10 degrees to keep the noise on your sonar. Then you know which way he is tracking. Start your approach knowing he will track off to your starboard side. But, in reality, you want to now keep him at your ports side as you close the gap be infront of him and make solution for the kill.

Egon01
04-20-07, 09:40 AM
I trained how to check course of target and it's easy when I know distance to it. You descriped that I should mark his position but how can I do this if I don't know distance ? Example: I found first weak sygnal of target, bearing 26, don't know distance, I mark it on map, I wait 3min, bearing changed to 30, and now how should I know if he is moving north, east or south to put second mark ?

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 09:46 AM
I trained how to check course of target and it's easy when I know distance to it. You descriped that I should mark his position but how can I do this if I don't know distance ? Example: I found first weak sygnal of target, bearing 26, don't know distance, I mark it on map, I wait 3min, bearing changed to 30, and now how should I know if he is moving north, east or south to put second mark ?
You note which way your bow is pointed. Say your bow is pointed due North, 0 degrees. Your noise is heard due East at 90 degrees. Your next sounding you hear him at due East 70 degrees. You then know he is headed North.

SteamWake
04-20-07, 09:47 AM
The bearing lines on the nav map.

He is "near" the end of the tail. Note its not at the very end of the line but near it.

Do these lines not show up when map contacts are off ?

Egon01
04-20-07, 09:54 AM
Thank you Warhawk :) Now I understand.