PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo Damage w/ 1.2

Barkhorn1x
04-20-07, 07:46 AM
Been practicing "Down the Throat Shots" (DtTS). :rock:

I basically bait the IJN destroyer to come and get me. This allows me to set up:
- zero degree AOB
- depth set to 5 feet
- no offset salvo angle
- target speed really doesn't matter except as a queue to fire
- fire two torps at approx 800 yard range

I've been hitting consistently...BUT...I do not seem to be able to sink the targets. I would think that two bow hits on a target the size of a destroyer would basically mean the loss of that bow and then the rest of the ship soon after. Ah well. :nope:

So...what is the opinion on the boards as to torp. destructive power?

GnarPow
04-20-07, 07:55 AM
Funny, I actually just made a similiar post to this the same time you are posting... I have had it happen in 1.1 so I know its not new... I just dont understand how these DDs cant take the beating in the bow like that... has to be a bug.

Tobus
04-20-07, 08:09 AM
My basic rool-of-thumb in SH3 is that I use a torp per every 5000 tons or so to guarantee a kill. A hit on a 1000 ton ship should kill it, usually instantly.

Egan
04-20-07, 08:22 AM
Rather than the torps it could be that the armour on the bow has been boosted to stop the damn things sinking every time they ram something by accident. It was an issue in SH3 if I remember. I've been rammed twice in Sh4 now and both times the destoyer skipped away.

GnarPow
04-20-07, 08:29 AM
Rather than the torps it could be that the armour on the bow has been boosted to stop the damn things sinking every time they ram something by accident. It was an issue in SH3 if I remember. I've been rammed twice in Sh4 now and both times the destoyer skipped away.

Even if its boosted... 3 or 4 torpedoes should be able to handle whatever boost they got, lol

Egan
04-20-07, 08:40 AM
They would go down from the softest of glancing blows and even from high seas. I'm not saying that the torps are not underpowered but I still think that the Bows of destroyers have been given a massive HP boost.

Has anyone tried a down the throat shot on anything other than a destroyer?

Egan
04-20-07, 09:01 AM
I set up a test with a small coastal merchant (about 1800 tonnes,) and let her have two torps - she went down very quickly. I think one torp would have been enough, though.

Of course, one test doesn't mean much but the torpedo power seemed more than enough in this instance.

AVGWarhawk
04-20-07, 09:06 AM
I did not do a head on with a DD but I did hit one just behind the bow and she went down. I believing the armor theory on this one as the DD are supposed to ram you etc.

GnarPow
04-20-07, 09:11 AM
I dont think the torp damage has really changed at all because i've had no problem sinking ships... Like today I stumbled upon 2 random destroyers coming straight at me during the night so I went to periscope depth, shot the 1st torp and the 2nd to make sure I scored a hit... BOOM BOOM, boat shakes, nothing wrong... Fire 2 more and go full starboard... another 1 hits the dd, one goes by and he just starts flashing his morse code... so I start crossing the T with my aft torpedoes because the 2nd DD is following the 1st one almost in line and as I line up the 2nd I fire 2 torps... 1st one hit right behind the bow on the side and immediately Enemy Destroyed comes up on the 2nd DD and the 2nd torp hits but it was already destroyed....

It is only a problem with head on torpedoes with the DDs, you hit them anywhere else and damage is assured.

Egan
04-20-07, 09:18 AM
What I have noticed since 1.2 is that damage can be more varied. I have a test mission I've been using since the game came out where I have a small convoy of ships set up in front of me. Firing torps at the same two ships in 1.1 would pretty much always result in the same level of damage. In 1.2 it was more varied - sometimes they would go down straight away, others they would stop their engines, begin to list over and other times they would be fine for a few minutes until a huge secondary explosion took them out. Personally I quite like that you can't entirely count on what sort of damage level to expect; it gives a nice unpredictability to the game.

Barkhorn1x
04-20-07, 10:39 AM
I did not do a head on with a DD but I did hit one just behind the bow and she went down. I believing the armor theory on this one as the DD are supposed to ram you etc.

The evidence does point to this doesn't it? Bummer. :x Cut's down on my reckless heroics.