PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with ship drafts?

hachiman
04-19-07, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to test magnetic shots and having to put torps maybe 3m+ deeper than the Mogami Class cruisers draft in the RM in the Sub School Mission just to try and get under the keel.

Unless i go that deep i hit the side.

Something wrong there?

SteamWake
04-19-07, 08:54 PM
Well two things...

Firstly the torpedo depth setting is not exactly a precise science.

Secondly the keel depths seem to be a little off.

Has anyone noticed when using the binocs you have to aim above the target before you get the red cross hairs ?

Perhaps the "center" of the ship is set a tad high.

-Pv-
04-19-07, 09:13 PM
Don't rely on the reconition manual in the game. it is wrong on nearly every ship. Use this rule of thumb from the game manual and expect waves and loading of the ship to produce different results:

"Torpedo Runing Depth
This should be set in close relation to the desired detonation method (see below). For magnetic
detonations, the torpedo should ideally pass directly under the target’s keel. In this case, take
the Draft entry in the Recognition Manual and add 3 to 5 feet. Keep in mind that large waves may
cause a ship’s draft to vary quite a bit, and too great a distance may lead to the detonator not
sensing the ship’s magnetic field.
When using an impact detonator, the torpedo should be set to hit the target under the protective
armored belt. In the absence of specific information about your target’s protection, the following
settings should be used:
Target Type Depth
Battleships 20 feet
Heavy Cruisers, Carriers, Large Merchants 12 feet
Light Cruisers, Small Merchants, Submarines 10 feet
Destroyers 6 feet
Torpedo Detonation Method
Torpedoes fielded by the U.S. submarine force at the start of its involvement in World War II used
combined detonators that could be triggered by either frontal impact with a solid object or sensing
the magnetic field of a ship above it.
As in real life, your torpedo detonators will have two possible settings:
Contact Only and Magnetic Influence + Contact. When detonation is
achieved under the ship’s keel, the entire force of the explosion is
vented inside the target, literally crippling it. Even a battleship may be
sunk with a single such hit. But magnetic detonations also have
disadvantages, the main one being their poor reliability, manifested in
premature detonations. Read the “Torpedo Armament” section for
further information."

-Pv-

Jungman
04-20-07, 12:43 AM
I'm trying to test magnetic shots and having to put torps maybe 3m+ deeper than the Mogami Class cruisers draft in the RM in the Sub School Mission just to try and get under the keel.

Unless i go that deep i hit the side.

Something wrong there?

Yes.
I too shot torps just under the hull at around 24 to 27 feet. The magnetic does not really work. You must still 'hit' the hull. (Though I do get 'under the keel' type damage -it is hitting that fin thing that run the length of the ship).

The Mogami is much deeper in draft than listed. 4.4m +3m = 7.4 m ~ 24 feet draft.

This same for Contact or Magnetic. If it goes true under the hull, it misses. That Mogami draft really is way off.