PDA

View Full Version : USS Plunger...

SteamWake
04-19-07, 09:35 AM
Well was given the commission of a new porpise class submarine. The USS Plunger...

When I first saw this I thought it was some sort of dev joke but turns out its a true name.

Not only that she was quite successful, survived the war, and now has a contemporary SSN counterpart !

Who says the navey has no sense of humor ;)

Cakewalk
04-19-07, 09:37 AM
Sometimes you've got to wonder what the Navy's inspirations for naming were... :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
04-19-07, 10:14 AM
All named after fish. Soon they ran out of these and started with names of fish in other countries. The USS Torsk located in Baltimore MD for example. Torsk I believe is a Norweign name for some fish in the ocean.

SteamWake
04-19-07, 10:22 AM
So my sub is named after a toilet fish ?

Sailor Steve
04-19-07, 10:25 AM
No, it just likes to dive. Fast. To the bottom.

SteamWake
04-19-07, 10:46 AM
No, it just likes to dive. Fast. To the bottom.

Alot of my subs seem to do that :oops:

04-19-07, 12:31 PM
The Plunger is the sub I like to command most. It goes back to when I was playing SH1CE. The Uss Plunger has the dubious honor of being the 1st US submarine to be depth charged. The Plunger has a cool battleflag; one having a skull and crossbones.
I would like more torpedo tubes, but I sank the Yamato with 6 fish and none were premature or duds. So she is definately capable.
Also, this is interesting to me, the Plunger has an operational depth of 250 ft. and she is 300 ft. long. It's interesting to me in that if she were stood on her bow, at 250 ft., 50 feet would stick out of the water! It really gives you a reference to how deep 250-300 feet actually is! I guess this is from playing too many modern nuke subsims.

SteamWake
04-19-07, 01:11 PM
I sank the Yamato with 6 fish and none were premature or duds. So she is definately capable.

Mildly understated.

LZ_Baker
04-19-07, 05:53 PM
I always liked the Pogy. I wish we still had a boat named that. A pogy is a type of fish native to Lake Tahoe. I think it would be cool if like Iran had a sub called the "Fist of Allah" and it gets sunk by the Pogy :lol:

Payoff
04-19-07, 06:08 PM
Also, back in the day they were called plunging boats.

Mush Martin
04-19-07, 08:16 PM
Actually Plunger is one of the oldest submarines names in the US Navy
going back to The Holland boats.

Pre dated only by fulton herself

Plunger (holland type VII) was commisioned in the the USN
on sept 19 1903. she served ten years and was stricken
from the navy lists 24/2/1913 / later she served as a
target ship in 1916 and was scrapped in 1922.

04-20-07, 08:55 PM
Hello,
I shot 4 fish, UssPlunger, Porpoise class, at a Freighter and the first blew up prematurely but the Ship continued on like nothing happened. This may be because she was ringing flank bells and the ship was trying to make speed.

1. If youre a merchant capt., what is SOP for premature detonations? Do you continue on, as if nothing, or do you take some evasive maneuver?

2. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thnaks

sunvalleyslim
04-21-07, 12:06 AM
Dude that Naval Capt. who ever he is better do some manuvers to get his red hot ass out of trouble. Cause if he goes in a straight line his ass is yours...........:rock:

perisher
04-24-07, 02:53 PM
I just got "promoted" from the Searaven to the Plunger. A rather back handed compliment I thought. Nothing wrong with Plunger but a shiny new Gato would have been nice.

Ducimus
04-24-07, 03:50 PM
You boys can have the Plunger. I was just given command of the Seawolf this mornning! However, we'll keep said plumbing implement in the head in your honor! :D