PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hull Pipes Above Prop

DeePsix501
04-13-07, 12:16 AM
Howdy all,

I was recently playing with all the different classes of subs, and I noticed on my early war Tambor class sub, I have these horizontal pipe structures extending from the hull above the rear props. They were present on early war subs but were removed. What was the purpose of these? To steady the boat on the surface or underwater? Why were they removed?

I have provided a picture link, they are outlined in a thin white line in the bottom right corner of the screen.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0819811.jpg

razark
04-13-07, 12:42 AM
Those were to keep the props from striking anything alongside the submarine. Don't know anything about them being removed.

Krupp
04-13-07, 01:04 AM
Those were to keep the props from striking anything alongside the submarine. Don't know anything about them being removed.

Talking about props strikings. In August 1942, Guardfish backed into a friendly minefield in Panama and her port propeller sliced a mine in half. :huh:

BlackSpot
04-13-07, 02:43 AM
I also read that these were removed. Apparently they removed them to reduce noise while submerged.

The General
04-13-07, 03:09 AM
Cool info boys, thanks. :up:

Sailor Steve
04-13-07, 10:47 AM

Talking about props strikings. In August 1942, Guardfish backed into a friendly minefield in Panama and her port propeller sliced a mine in half. :huh:
GAAAAAHHH!!!!:help:

On the other hand, maybe that's why she's called Guardfish...

Snowman999
04-13-07, 11:22 AM
I have these horizontal pipe structures extending from the hull above the rear props. They were present on early war subs but were removed. What was the purpose of these?

Curb feelers.

(Showing my age . . .)

Greentimbers
04-13-07, 11:35 AM
Curb feelers.

(Showing my age . . .)
I remember those!
I had a 64 Valiant that had them. (Pushbutton transmission included)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

AVGWarhawk
04-13-07, 11:36 AM
I still have curb feelers;) They look good on my 1980 Lincoln Signature Series:smug:

04-13-07, 11:37 AM
were they not used to push mine cables away from the props?

Hans Schultz
04-13-07, 11:46 AM
they were called propeller guards, and they did exactly what they sould like! they guarded the props from being struck from foreign objects.

AVGWarhawk
04-13-07, 11:49 AM
In all reality, these bars are for the the rigging and ropes that are attached for waterskiing and pulling those giant inner tubes people love on the water:shifty:

04-13-07, 11:55 AM
Hey Shultz, I see youre from Chucktown, too. maybe we should have a beer?
Once, when I was in boyscouts(Eagle scout class of '89) I camped out in the USS Yorktown, there are lots of stray cats in that thing. Good for keeping down the rat population I guess.

DeePsix501
04-13-07, 01:05 PM
In all reality, these bars are for the the rigging and ropes that are attached for waterskiing and pulling those giant inner tubes people love on the water:shifty:

Do I smell a mod involving a life raft? :rock:

Lawndart
04-13-07, 01:29 PM
I did the same thing in Boy scouts when I grew up in OH.

We stayed 3 nights on the Yorktown and it was one of the coolest experiances from my younger days!

Sailor Steve
04-13-07, 04:41 PM
And if you mod the sub to make 40-50 knots you can paraglide as well!

Spadefish
04-13-07, 10:30 PM
They were removed mid war to reduce flow noise. Also in some cases some of the welds would break under depth charging. The prop guards would then sometimes bang against the hull. NOT GOOD when being hunted.

John Channing
04-14-07, 07:15 AM
Curb feelers.

(Showing my age . . .)
I remember those!
I had a 64 Valiant that had them. (Pushbutton transmission included)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

DAMN!

I had the exact same car. Silver grey she was and reliable as hell. Growing up in Winnipeg it was impossible to get her stuck in the snow, cuz if you did, you just take her up to about 1200 rpm and then just roooooock her gently back and forth with a flick of your finger.

Great car!

JCC